• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Authorities are investigating an outbreak of viral pneumonia in central China amid online speculation that it might be linked to SARS, the flu-like virus that killed hundreds of people more than a decade ago.

There were 27 cases of "viral pneumonia of unknown origin" reported in Wuhan, in central Hubei province, the city's health commission said in a statement.
Seven patients were in a critical condition, while the others were stable and two could be discharged soon, the commission said.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I saw something a few weeks back about an unsubstantiated rumor that rival pig farmers were infecting competing farms with SARS to get a leg up on the competition, completely dismissed as it was the dumbest thing I've heard in a while but jeez SARS again?

Oct 28, 2017
The 1820's and 1920's both saw massive disease epidemics.

I mean I'm hoping the pattern doesn't repeat here but this doesn't bode well.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Viral pneumonia is no joke. It almost took me out when I was 15, and my bronchial tubes were fucked the entire time I was in HS.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This will probably be mankind's downfall someday, some zoonotic infection that transfers to humans in a deeply populated city with tons of animals packed together in unsanitary conditions.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably be mankind's downfall someday, some zoonotic infection that transfers to humans in a deeply populated city with tons of animals packed together in unsanitary conditions.

its like that Contagion movie. That was a scary af movie from how fast an unknown animal virus can spread quick.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Before anybody gets too excited:

Initial lab tests have found that there was no "apparent human-to-human transmission" and that no medical staff were infected, the statement said.
Most of the patients worked at a seafood market in the city, it said.

I'd definitely take a wait and see approach on this before concluding that it is a human-transmissible virus. There may simply be a common exposure.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nearly 50 people now known to have been infected, with 2 deaths confirmed
China reported four more cases of pneumonia believed to be caused by a new coronavirus strain, causing rising concern globally that a disease health officials do not yet fully understand could spread during a key holiday period.
Nearly 50 people are now known to have been infected in China, Thailand and Japan, but all of them either live in Wuhan or have travelled to the city.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
its like that Contagion movie. That was a scary af movie from how fast an unknown animal virus can spread quick.

Contagion is an honest-to-god masterpiece in how it treats its epidemiology seriously. Even the eventual reveal of the pandemic's origins is based on a real case (albeit exaggerated for effect).

If you or anyone wants a great read on zoonotic disease check out David Quammen's Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic. Quammen is a damned fine writer and researcher and that book is a great primer on this topic.

If that was the flu there'd be more deaths than 3 out of 200+.

Not necessarily. Depending on the specific parameters of a strain, it could be highly contagious but not as severe, thus incurring fewer deaths.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad timing, will be Chinese New year soon and you will have a lot of people travelling in packed condition.

It's good that at least no one is underestimating this and is not this deadly.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Going to China for New Year, bad timing ! Girlfriend don't feel safe, we were supposed to travel with friends to Hangzhou, I think we'll have to persuade them to stay in Beijing this time... (they still want to travel despite one of them being pregnant)

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Better stay indoor as much as possible.
Yeah, that's what we managed to deal. Not that surprisingly they really started spreading the news these days, so there's a lot of people that still don't know about it. Hopefully they will do some more PSA to avoid what happened last time.
Unfortunately we still might have to go to the restaurant with the family on New Years Eve...

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. Hopefully the crazy travel rush during the Chinese New Year doesn't see this spread to Taiwan.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen a film called Contagion? Sounds vaguely similar to the synopsis.

That's because Contagion was written by someone who had done pretty meticulous research into zoonotic disease. Which is nothing new. Influenza infects birds, pigs, humans, and other animals and can cross the species border under the right conditions. Cowpox is so similar to smallpox that we used to inoculate people by infecting them with cowpox which did two things - 1) not kill them, as cowpox isn't as severe for humans, and 2) would grant immunity to smallpox.

Status
Not open for further replies.