• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheesemeister

Oct 24, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
MST3_K.gif

What is Mystery Science Theater 3000?

"MST3K" is a comedy television series that features running joke commentaries to bad movies. What are normally incompetent and forgotten B-movies have gotten new life re-purposed with hilarious riffs by professional comedians. To date, 211 episodes and 1 feature film have been produced. The original run of 197 episodes ran from 1988 to 1999. The latest season of 14 episodes debuted in April 2017, and another new season is on the way.

How do I get started? Where can I watch?

The new season of MST3K, Season 11, isnow streaming on Netflixin English language countries. Recommended episodes: Cry Wilderness, Avalanche, The Beast of Hollow Mountain, Starcrash, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II.

There are also a number of classic episodes on Netflix. Recommendations: Pod People, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Manos: the Hands of Fate, Eegah!, Zombie Nightmare, Jack Frost, The Pumaman, Werewolf, Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, and Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders.

The official MST3K YouTube Channel has a number of full episodes free to watch. Recommended episodes in this list include Master Ninja II, Mitchell, Alien from L.A., and Outlaw.

Shout Factory TV also has full episodes. Recommendations: Cave Dwellers, Fugitive Alien, The Starfighters, and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

MST3K can also be seen streaming on the Pluto TV MST3K Channel.

If you're willing to spend,Shout Factory publishes sets of episodes on DVD, andRifftrax does digital distributionwith more proceeds going to the original writers and performers.

Is this all there is?

No! After the initial run of the show, many of the writers and performers went on to other movie-riffing ventures: The Film Crew, Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic, and The Mads Are Back.

Is there an overarching story or a specific order I need to watch the show in?

There is a story to the live-action "host segment" sketches between movie sessions, but it's very thin and serves only as a vehicle for the movie riffing. As such, episodes can be viewed in any order. While the cast has changed over the course of the series, it can be seen like SNL or Doctor Who: a necessity in keeping a long-running show going.

Just repeat to yourself: "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

News!

The Turkey Day 2017 marathon of 6 classic (not Season 11) episodes has been announced, to be hosted by Joel, Jonah, and Felicia.

Season 12 has been officially announced for Netflix!

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
First, subbed.
Second, my order finally shipped from the Kickstarter!
Last,

I wonder what the mystery item is

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just got an email. The final set of Kickstarter rewards just shipped and will be here next Wednesday. I can't wait to see what the mystery gift is. I've been waiting two years to see what it is.

Edit - If anyone gets it early, can we spoiler what the mystery gift is? I want to be surprised.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I just got an email. The final set of Kickstarter rewards just shipped and will be here next Wednesday. I can't wait to see what the mystery gift is. I've been waiting two years to see what it is.

Edit - If anyone gets it early, can we spoiler what the mystery gift is? I want to be surprised.

I too want to be spoiled! Guess just use spoiler tags?

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Is the new season still on netflix? I never finished the newest season. One of my favorite shows was lower on funds with the kickstarter was up so didn't get in :/. add one more to subbed

OP
OP
Cheesemeister

Cheesemeister

Oct 24, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Fair warning: unmarked mystery gift spoilers will be dealt with. Please wait until at least Turkey Day to talk about it. If you have to post it, put it in spoiler tags and clearly say that the spoiler is about the mystery gift.

Is the new season still on netflix? I never finished the newest season. One of my favorite shows was lower on funds with the kickstarter was up so didn't get in :/. add one more to subbed

Yes, go watch it now!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I still haven't finished season 11 yet. I watched Yungary last weekend. I hope to finish it in a few weeks, so I can see if I want to add the Christmas episode to my annual list of stuff to watch at Christmas. So far, my favorite episode is Starcrash. It was a perfect movie for them to do.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Got my shipping notification today for the Mystery Box from the kickstarter...

WHAT COULD IT BE?!?!?!?!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If you follow any of the MST3K stuff on twitter, you might want to stop until you get your box.

Pretty sure I just saw a picture of what's in the Mystery Box.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be hard not to search and see what it is. I have never been a patient person.

OP
OP
Cheesemeister

Cheesemeister

Oct 24, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
It won't include re-runs from previous streaming Turkey Day marathons. Based on the backer poll, some likely candidates might be...

10. Time Chasers - (821)
11. Overdrawn At The Memory Bank - (822)
14. Gamera - (302)
15. Prince of Space - (816)
16. Hobgoblins - (907)
17. Laserblast - (706)
18. Soultaker - (1001)
19. Godzilla vs. Megalon - (212)

20. Jack Frost - (813)

...Which are all Mike episodes, so going further down the list to get some balance...

21. Santa Claus - (521)
22. Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders - (1003)
23. The Brain That Wouldn't Die - (513)
24. The Touch of Satan - (908)
26. The Day the Earth Froze - (422)
27. Warrior of the Lost World - (501)
29. Catalina Caper - (204)
30. Fugitive Alien - (310)

I would be good with Fugitive Alien, The Day the Earth Froze, Warrior of the Lost World, Jack Frost, Time Chasers, and Hobgoblins.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'd love to watch, but I'll be at the gf's aunt and uncles house for Thanksgiving.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping for Jack Frost. It's one of my favorites, and with it's festive nature, I have been surprised it hasn't been in previous ones.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe they haven't shown the Turkey Day version of Night of the Blood Beast yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Jack Frost has never been a Turkey Day movie? That's a surprise.
I'd also go for The Day The Earth Froze, but two Russo-Finnish movies might be too much for one night.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I got my MST3K package in the mail, including the infamous mystery gift (which I won't be posting here).
cd9l8Wy.jpg

Still crazy that a blu-ray copy came with a usb drive and also a copy of the first episode on VHS. Even though I do have a working VHS player, I might keep it sealed just because.

Btw, I guess the coffee table book isn't coming till sometime in 2018.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My package arrived today. I won't talk about the mystery gift BUT, if you got the USB drive, be sure to plug it in and unzip the folder. Some neat things on there.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Mystery Gift Review.

6XQyy1a.gif

A special pop figure. Even if I was a fan of pop figures I'd be let down with nothing but 1 pop figure.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I got my Blu-Rays and mystery gift today. I wonder how many DVD and Blu-Ray sets there are out there. I wonder if they'll become as sought after and expensive as Vol. 10.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I opened my mystery gift today. I was expecting a little bit more in the box.

I checked out the reaction on Reddit and saw that they missed some orders, so they didn't have enough made.

Oct 26, 2017
Mystery gift is indeed lame. I didn't really want the hard copy of the episodes but in hindsight I would have just grabbed that instead.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope the digital collection goes on sale again before Christmas. I'm too lazy to rip the DVDs myself.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone going to be doing a turkey day OT?

Also, in preparation to it, Rifftrax is airing Fun in Balloonland all day until it starts

http://twitch.tv/rifftrax

They also launched a drip (Kickstarter's Patreon) for exclusive content and for the next twenty or so days it's $2 off as a founding member.

http://d.rip/rifftrax

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, I was also disappointed by the mystery gift. I was personally hoping for something a bit more original and interesting as opposed to what we ended up getting.