• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I never really expected them to keep people up to date on season 12, like they did 11. There was no crowdfunding this time. There's no reason to talk about what's happening with the new season.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
All I need to know is when to finally subscribe to Netflix, I'm good 'til then!

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I never really expected them to keep people up to date on season 12, like they did 11. There was no crowdfunding this time. There's no reason to talk about what's happening with the new season.

In a way, but overall no one on the cast has said a single thing about it, they all are very busy individuals who frequently post their day to day activities on social media and there is no indication of anything, they clearly have not even started to film anything either. I know the 11th season filmed very quickly, most of the show is done in the writing room, but its been some time since the announcement, no news from anyone and no filming has started. You would figure after all the communication with season 11, there would be a little something from someone.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
In a way, but overall no one on the cast has said a single thing about it, they all are very busy individuals who frequently post their day to day activities on social media and there is no indication of anything, they clearly have not even started to film anything either. I know the 11th season filmed very quickly, most of the show is done in the writing room, but its been some time since the announcement, no news from anyone and no filming has started. You would figure after all the communication with season 11, there would be a little something from someone.

And they just sent out a S12 update. Woho!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Joel must be browsing Resetra. A new email went out today:

Filming begins Monday.
One movie is a movie that has been requested by fans for years.
One movie is a movie that's been made in the last five years.
Season 12 is just six episodes long.
MST3k Revival League Pledge Drive starts June 12 with a chance to win prizes.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
S11 started shooting in September '16 and was released seven months later. Since they're shooting less than half as many episodes this time, a 2018 release for S12 should be totally doable. Maybe in November for the 30th anniversary?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I expect a Turkey Day surprise release. At the end of the marathon, they'll say the new season is available right now.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Kinda bummed at short season, but i guess they want to get this out this year too. Wonder who really dictates season length though, cause if netflix, maybe shows budget is real tight to get that new season made.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there is going to be a 30th Anniversary Tour with Jonah, Crow, Tom Servo....AND JOEL doing riffs.

Details are out for Kickstarter backers, and I'm sure they'll announce it to everyone soon, but OH SNAP.

(Spoilers: They aren't coming to Indianapolis, so I either have to go to another city or hope they release this digitally someday. Bummer)

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm going to go to both Boston shows. It'll be my first proper live experience with riffing (not counting the Rifftrax simul-broadcasts).

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, coming to LA. Going to look into it if the prices are right.

Kind of wondering if I can get my girlfriend's friend to pay for some nice seats, she's a fanatic and has money to splurge on this stuff so I can ride her kinda-famous coattails because I'm selfish. I'm assuming it'll be at the Ace Theatre or some place like that.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the email. Missed out last year but hoping I can go to Atlanta or Nashville. Great to hear about filming the new season.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't always have time to watch MST3K, but yesterday my girlfriend and I watched Starcrash and The Land that Time Forgot. Man, Starcrash is just a baffling film. It's like six serials stuck together with zero logic. Some of the crew's comments were hilarious, but god. I don't know if I'll ever want to sit through that mess again. Every time they joked about walking out, I was excited Starcrash might actually be over.

The Land that Time Forgot was hilarious and charming on its own right, right up until the cavemen showed up. The bit about everyone dressed like Tintin characters had me dying. Overall, I'm still really enjoying the new season. I just wish I had more free time to devote to it.

I hope the shorter seasons means we can get even six episodes a year. That seems to be about how many I can watch in that time anyway.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got a ticket for The Brain in Atlanta. Thankfully it's an afternoon showtime on a Sunday. Wouldn't have been able to make it otherwise. Pretty sure I have a primo seat too if the seating chart is right.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, the time for the LA show is absurd. Trying to get downtown on a Tuesday during rush hour puts me out of the chance even if I leave work early (and skip dinner as well). If it was 8pm I could do it, but 7 is too early.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm doing both Boston shows. Really looking forwards to this. Hard to believe that just a few years ago, it was just an old TV show that had long been cancelled, and now I'll get to see Joel and the Bots (and Jonah!) in person doing skits and riffing a movie live. I never dreamed this would ever be a thing. Heck even back when I first discovered the show when visiting the US in 95, I never thought I'd see it live some day.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
More details on the upcoming MST3k comic. If the blurb's accurate, it sounds like it really is the crew riffing on public domain comics, which could be brilliant or awful depending on how it's done.

Although with the cover reveals... I think I want to read this:

mystery-science-theater-3000-the-comic-variant-cover-1114385.jpeg

...more than anything.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
The shows last year were great, and we got tickets for both shows again this year. Having Joel there will be awesome. Getting them on a Sunday for our dates was handy too.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone watch Rifftrax Live: Space Mutiny tonight? Holy shit was it hilarious.
Yeah I saw it last night and thought it was good too. Some of the new lines didn't land for me, and felt like there were a couple moments ripe for a riff when they said nothing, but there were some good new ones too ("The ever-vigilant Corporal Cockblock"). I think I said to myself "Rawhide" every single time a door opened. :lol

What a ridiculous short too

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they just wrapped shooting Season 12. I wonder when it'll show up on Netflix.

For Season 11, production wrapped on Oct 19th, 2016, and the season was released April 14th 2017, but I suspect the turnover will be a bit speedier this time.

I wonder if we might perhaps be looking at a Turkey Day release? Sooner would be better, mind!

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
For Season 11, production wrapped on Oct 19th, 2016, and the season was released April 14th 2017, but I suspect the turnover will be a bit speedier this time.

I wonder if we might perhaps be looking at a Turkey Day release? Sooner would be better, mind!

I think that's a goal and possibly one of the reasons they went with fewer episodes.

I wonder if Netflix is doing bulk renewals on series or if they are doing it one season at a time.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, they have less than half as many episodes as S11 to work through, so a Thanksgiving release should be doable. And it would line up nicely with the end of the tour.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone give any money to the pledge drive? I'll probably get the digital downloads and Blu-Ray set, but that will be it.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Anyone give any money to the pledge drive? I'll probably get the digital downloads and Blu-Ray set, but that will be it.
I did. I went in for the backer kit, name in one show, t shirt and the Blu-Ray set.

Feels a bit silly paying for a pledge drive for something that's already been filmed... But I want the stuff.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
But I want the stuff.

That's the only reason I'm doing it. I'm assuming there will be bonuses on the backer DVD/Blu-Ray set that won't be in the wide release, like the season 11 set.

And hopefully this drive will let them do a full season 13. I know Joel said they're doing six episodes because he wants it to be bingable, but I'm still skeptical. I still think he's just saying that because Netflix won't give them enough money for more episodes and he doesn't want to risk making anyone made and burning any bridges.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
That's the only reason I'm doing it. I'm assuming there will be bonuses on the backer DVD/Blu-Ray set that won't be in the wide release, like the season 11 set.

And hopefully this drive will let them do a full season 13. I know Joel said they're doing six episodes because he wants it to be bingable, but I'm still skeptical. I still think he's just saying that because Netflix won't give them enough money for more episodes and he doesn't want to risk making anyone made and burning any bridges.

My thought is Netflix is taking the actual risk NOW on the show, previously any low ratings could be blame on "well we gave the show away digitally to all backers" and "we didn't pay much of anything for it!". Now it's ONLY on Netflix. If it does well I could see them pick it up for a larger season (but I wouldn't be surprised if Joel keeps it in the 6-8 range just so they can do this every year).

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to do the digital downloads because I have every available episode digitally. It's a bit harder to throw down $50 for 6 episodes when I spent $100 for 14 and got a bunch of other swag with it...but I still support this iteration and want to help ensure more if I can.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'm super excited to see what movies they turned up for the new season and with the limited episode count I'm sure they will all be winners

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new KS update which goes further on the comics and how they're doing it; they make the fair point that the 'theatre seat' conceit results in somewhat repetitive-looking panels, so instead they're transplanting the characters into the storyline directly. it's an interesting method, and it looks like it'll be pretty effective, although I've only read the sample page from the KS update (KS folks also have been given keys to a 16-page sampler, but I've not had a chance to try that yet).

One thing I hadn't realised, let me revisit an earlier post:

More details on the upcoming MST3k comic. If the blurb's accurate, it sounds like it really is the crew riffing on public domain comics, which could be brilliant or awful depending on how it's done.

Although with the cover reveals... I think I want to read this:

mystery-science-theater-3000-the-comic-variant-cover-1114385.jpeg

...more than anything.

Turns out that what the cover implies is exactly what we're getting.

0.jpg

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Rifftrax is having a 20% off sale on their site for their 12th anniversary, if you use the coupon TWELVE at checkout. Use the code MARTHA to get the Batman v Superman audio riff for tree, and you can get a $12 gift card if you spend over $50. 20% off is pretty good. I don't think I've ever seen a discount that big from them.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that the same 16-page sampler of the comic can be found on comixology for free, possibly in other places too.