• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand Shout Factory. They went to all the trouble to get MST3k from Jim Mallon, but they don't want to fund anything. Joel had to do a Kickstarter to bring the series back and he had to do this pledge drive to get enough money to make season 12.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Kinda doubt Shout really spent a whole lot to get MST in the first place really. And if anything maybe they haven't been exactly thrilled with how it performed? Think it's clear while the Kickstarter helped get a big awesome season 11, it didn't blow the roof off of Netflix and after everything they went through to get this show going, I imagine Joel is having to struggle to get anything else going now with the show. Netflix is obviously not tossing money at the show when they are having to raise money to pay for the production of only 6 episodes.

Course now I think we see why there has been a heavier push on MST3K merch since S11 ended, whole bunch of new items started to pop up online, mugs, shirts, there is a new calendar announced now, and they just got their licensed comic book going now too. Seems like they are trying to get funds wherever they can.

Wonder if the LIVE show tour is also something being done to help maybe fund more MST since it was very successful the first time around. I mean I can see them doing it as a live show ongoing for a while too but maybe there is some ulterior motive to it also to help raise funding.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at Dragon Con and got to see a preview of the comic last night. It's hilarious. They took old, public domain comics and inserted themselves into it. Definitely look out for it! Dark Horse is publishing it and I think it's out September 12th.

Side note: Jonah and Joel are two of the nicest dudes ever. They make me super proud to be a MST3K fan.

Edit: Totally missed the posts about the comic on the previous page, sorry about that!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do well this time around. I really do like the show, even if I trouble finding the time to watch the episodes in a Netflix friendly way.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A mildly interesting new Rifftrax release: If you remember The Phantom Creeps shorts from early MST3k, apparently there was a project that stitched them together into a full-length film, and they're riffing that. Since MST3k never got to a conclusion on the originals, I'm awfully tempted to have a look to see what happened next!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
A mildly interesting new Rifftrax release: If you remember The Phantom Creeps shorts from early MST3k, apparently there was a project that stitched them together into a full-length film, and they're riffing that. Since MST3k never got to a conclusion on the originals, I'm awfully tempted to have a look to see what happened next!

I always hated that they never finished The Phantom Creeps. I wanted to know what happened.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How fortunate! Zees vill simplify everything!

Or, my favorite take on that, "He's got gum, how fortunate."

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It'll probably go on as planned, or this is the turkey day marathon.

They don't want it to compete with the premier of the new season, a big reason also for only 6 episodes is that they want ppl to binge watch the whole thing quick. Bing watching is important for Netflix, the speed and completion rate of show watching is an important metric apparently for the company, apparently it helps retain viewership of a show as a show that is too long or doesn't retain viewers in a binge, can lose folks part way in. They've said it before but everything about this seems designed around getting folks to quickly consume the new season.

The faster the show is binged and completed is treated as fans really enjoying it, which they use as part of their metrics on supporting a show. S11 was long and with almost 2hr long episodes, was not very binge friendly. Also many who started the season never finished it or took a long time to get through it, which is not what Netflix wants.

Doing this instead of the usual marathon just shows they want the fans to blow through this in one or two sittings and pump up those numbers for Netflix. So the T-day marathon is being shown a week in advance, and likely going to be pimping the hell out of the new season.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Five of the six S12 episodes have been classified by the BBFC... in a way that gives away the titles.

So, spoiler warnings ahead as we enter the nightmare-fuelled world of spoilers!

(An aside: It also appears that this season has a subtitle which I guess suggests something about the framing story)

Some chat (and the list) in spoiler tags:

Experiment 1201: Mac and Me (1988)
Experiment 1202: Atlantic Rim (2013)
Experiment 1203: Lords of the Deep (1988)
Experiment 1204: The Day Time Ended (1980)
Experiment 1205: ???
Experiment 1206: Ator (1982)

They got Mac and Me! I guess that makes it the first MST3k film I've seen prior to it being an MST3k film.

Looks like they're embracing the mockbuster. I hope they don't go too far that way, but the occasional episode I'd be fine with.

Ator looks like a well they can keep coming back to. After all, you can never have too much Keefe. I wonder if they'll highlight that Cave Dwellers is its' sequel.

A little disappointed that everything other than the 2013 film is from the 80s. Hoping that we get a different decade in the missing movie, but it's a good span of films otherwise.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Saw both nights of the live show in Boston last week. I'm really hoping that unnamed episode is The Brain, because good lord did that make for an incredible target for riffing.

But
Mac and Me...
good god. I can't wait. Also, I've never heard of
Atlantic Rim
, but I suspect I might have a good idea what it is.

Edit: I spoiler tagged the movie names because everyone else did. But I find it really weird to consider that a spoiler... Do you close your eyes when starting the episodes on Netflix or are people just being extra careful?

Last edited:

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of disappointed about Atlantic Rim. The Asylum isn't trying to make real movies anymore, so it seems pointless to riff on them.

However, Mac and Me--holy shit.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mac and Me is a huge get. Also excited about Ator, now Cave Dwellers will make total sense I'm sure.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
All I really wanted was Robot Jox. Sigh.
I'll just pretend Atlantic Rim is what they picked when they couldn't get it.
Still, sounds like an awesome lineup (mostly). All I'll say about the dominant decade in the list is if you're used to the 50's movies from the original series, don't do the math on the new series. It's like drinking from the wrong grail.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Rifftrax has
Ator. Anyone that's interested might want to get it, in case they lose it, since MST3k is doing it. They had Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II on their site for about two weeks and took it down. It might not have had anything to do with MST3k doing it last season, but it seems like quite a coincidence that Rifftrax removed it and then MST3k riffed it, too.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I wonder which version of Mac and Me they are going to show? I really hope it's the version where the handicapped kid gets shot in the back and dies before the credits just to see their reaction.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the BBFC have cleaned up their database.

I wonder which version of Mac and Me they are going to show? I really hope it's the version where the handicapped kid gets shot in the back and dies before the credits just to see their reaction.

Given the BBFC rated it a PG, I'd be very surprised if it was that one.

Edit:

Although the original is a U...

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone see the live shows yet? Saw The Brain in Atlanta today and loved it. Got my very first giant foam hand as a souvenir.

Lots of good pop culture stuff but my favorite was when Joel started yelling something like "There's a spot right there (gestures to the open parking spot in frame)! Don't park next to the curb. You're making things difficult for others!" That's become a really big pet peeve of mine as I've gotten older haha.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Saw the recent live shows, saw last years as well. Great riffs on both shows, but do have to say, they really cut the budget on this year's show. The riffs are great, but the actual show part and skits are really low key this time, not as elaborate, and the 2nd show had almost very little to it's show segments, it felt really like a "you are back for more" scenarios and continuation of the first instead of a stand alone show. They do make the joke about lack of two characters and budget. And you got cast now involving Jonah's wife and Cynthia's boyfriend is playing Tom for the show this time around.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the recent live shows, saw last years as well. Great riffs on both shows, but do have to say, they really cut the budget on this year's show. The riffs are great, but the actual show part and skits are really low key this time, not as elaborate, and the 2nd show had almost very little to it's show segments, it felt really like a "you are back for more" scenarios and continuation of the first instead of a stand alone show. They do make the joke about lack of two characters and budget. And you got cast now involving Jonah's wife and Cynthia's boyfriend is playing Tom for the show this time around.

That's too bad. I saw the live show this year, but not last year, so I had nothing to compare it against. I thought it was hilarious (I saw Deathstalker II) but it does sound like they're having money issues.

I wish they would do more shorts, because those are some of my favorites, but I asked Joel about that when I saw him at Dragon Con and he said they're (MST3K) not going to do them. At least the Rifftrax guys are doing them. The (long) short Fun in Balloon Land is one of the most hilarious things they've done.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a tiny little paragraph but I thought this would be fun to share with the 30th anniversary coming up, although this is actually from 29 years ago. As far as I can find out this is the very first national press exposure for MST3K.

It's from an article in the November 11-17, 1989 issue of TV guide that talks the about the upcoming Comedy Channel. Sorry about the quality, couldn't get my scanner working.

43955596390_122f929865_o.jpg

43955596330_06d49a4ee2_o.jpg

From that description I can only assume the reviewer is getting Joel and Dr. Forrester mixed up. I'm really curious what exactly and how much they watched for this little preview.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised. On his podcast, Suicide Buddies, Hampton Yount talked about the fact that he didn't go on the tour this time because of money reasons and how it was affecting him. Also said something about getting paid less (which makes sense as they are only doing six episodes). And S12 did the whole pledge drive, so I think they've gotten this far and are looking to keep costs down where they can and try to keep the show financially afloat.

I pledged because I have every episode of MST3K digitally and I want to keep that situation, but it is disheartening.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm not surprised. On his podcast, Suicide Buddies, Hampton Yount talked about the fact that he didn't go on the tour this time because of money reasons and how it was affecting him. Also said something about getting paid less (which makes sense as they are only doing six episodes). And S12 did the whole pledge drive, so I think they've gotten this far and are looking to keep costs down where they can and try to keep the show financially afloat.

I pledged because I have every episode of MST3K digitally and I want to keep that situation, but it is disheartening.

Sounds like last tour was a victory lap while this one is "oh the band needs money let's go on tour again" situation. I still think we'll get more seasons but it might not be with Netflix. I think Netflix changed the rules on them with their binging metric, which is why the six episode season over thanksgiving makes sense.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm expecting season 12 to be the last.

Unless they plan to keep doing what they are doing, producing smaller cheaper seasons that Netflix doesn't have to foot much of the bill for.

The LIVE show is clearly a cheaper production, and ironically they have even more merch than ever they are selling at the shows too, but are they using the live tour also to try and fund the show now too? They talked about doing more LIVE performances before, so is this a trend they are going for to help pay for the seasons and maybe make some side money with a live act?

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, I forgot how huge new Crow's hands are. They're weirding me out a little. This lineup of movies looks so good! (bad?)

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe Netflix only gave them enough money for 6 episodes.
Almost assuredly this, though Joel has been talking in interviews about the fact that people who aren't hardcore MSTies only make it through so far in a season based on the Netflix data. So it might be a bit of reacting to the widest audience in that regard.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
It's just a tiny little paragraph but I thought this would be fun to share with the 30th anniversary coming up, although this is actually from 29 years ago. As far as I can find out this is the very first national press exposure for MST3K.

It's from an article in the November 11-17, 1989 issue of TV guide that talks the about the upcoming Comedy Channel. Sorry about the quality, couldn't get my scanner working.

43955596390_122f929865_o.jpg

43955596330_06d49a4ee2_o.jpg

From that description I can only assume the reviewer is getting Joel and Dr. Forrester mixed up. I'm really curious what exactly and how much they watched for this little preview.

Wow, so from this I learned that Joel created another show (the Higgins brothers show), which had cameos from Joel and Jim Mallon and the Kids in the Hall, and that Steve Higgins is the current announcer on the Tonight Show.