• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of the new design?

• Looks better

Votes: 1,349 60.8%
  • Looks worse

Votes: 632 28.5%
  • They both still look bad

Votes: 238 10.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "one shows the skin that the other doesn't" (not really true because both show their thighs) must be out there with "she needs to breath with her skin"

Oct 26, 2017
Should have gone with the fan edit with zettai ryouiki, that one is da best by far.

As for comparing Mythra to Malos, it would be more accurate to compare Malos to
Pneuma, and she is just as fully clothed as Malos.

Last edited:

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to derail the other thread, so.....

You could have called me ignorant to my face in your original post, y'know, if you had more questions/concerns about what I said. I'm a big girl.

I don't think assuming I'm ignorant or that I don't acknowledge that there obviously are issues with female character treatment in games is a good conclusion to make based on a few posts I made.
I'm sorry but from the single post you made when I made this post, what you wrote really came off ignorant, at least you can understand the problem after I quoted you in this thread, so I apologize.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is cherry picking, picked the 3 wierdest dudes in the game amd pitted them against the 3 most scantily clad ladies.

You are right in that, in general, they have more body build variety and the like, which is a shame.
It's not cherrypicking. Give me a female character in a popular game that has Abigail or Rufus like build, then we can argue if I'm cherrypicking or not.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
Hahahahaha, why did this thread even get to 18 pages hahahahaha

Well, I think it was a good thing to change her outfit as long as it ensures an appropriate rating for the game´s marketing.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's not cherrypicking. Give me a female character in a popular game that has Abigail or Rufus like build, then we can argue if I'm cherrypicking or not.
I literally said that they dont have that much build variety.
But that is, by definition, cherry picking. You just make your whole argument worse by acting like it isnt.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So her underwear still shows through her outfit? Clever, very clever

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but we don't see lots of people crying "self-censorship" whenever something like this happens, do we?
Not normally but I think at that point you (collective, not just specifically you) are splitting hairs. Self-censorship is still censorship, it's just censorship that someone is doing to themselves. You had stated that Nintendo can't censor Nintendo so I was just pointing out that yes, they can, and sadly it looks like they did (though honestly I understand why they changed her top, especially if it's to make it E for Everyone. I just don't really get the leggings part VS not doing anything to Pyra). ):

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Not normally but I think at that point you (collective, not just specifically you) are splitting hairs. Self-censorship is still censorship, it's just censorship that someone is doing to themselves. You had stated that Nintendo can't censor Nintendo so I was just pointing out that yes, they can, and sadly it looks like they did (though honestly I understand why they changed her top, especially if it's to make it E for Everyone. I just don't really get the leggings part VS not doing anything to Pyra). ):
rexpyra.jpg

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Feels like a lazy redesign butat the same time speaks volumes that the lazy redesign looks better the original. These skimpy anime girl outfits feel like the designers behind them really embrace the mantra that just because they can they should. Such is the nature of escalation I suppose....

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Look closely at both versions of her
It is not underwear.
No. Her outfit is made of thick opaque staps and it's a unitard. It's just the shading.
If you bump the contrast more the shape isn't very consistent unless you think she's wearing a weird lopsided reverse thong:
3OB4uvf.jpg

It's likely they didn't notice that it might look like that since the lighting is very subtle in the original contrast

Navi

Oct 27, 2017
Why was there no "Both look good" option in the poll? Honestly, I don't mind the changes made to her design, but IMO the original one isn't bad either.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the new design is cooler. There's one anti-censorship, anti-sjw person in my circle of friends who's salty about it though. He wasn't happy that Game & Watch lost the feather either. lol

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
can someone explain what the headlight eyes means or how that became a thing
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlankWhiteEyes
When shocked or stunned emotionally, mentally or physically, the character's eyes are briefly replaced by blank white disks with sloppily-scrawled black "borders" around them. Functionally equivalent to the American Circling Birdies. Can be combined with Blue with Shockfor extra impact. Glasses-wearing characters sometimes use (Not So) Scary Shiny Glassesinstead. Note that because the pupils and iris allow light to enter the eyes, characters with blank white eyes should be blind.

This is a relatively recent trope; almost all shows or manga using it have shown up in the 21st century. In even more recent media, this trope has seen a much wider range of uses, ranging from making a character look funny, depicting a frightening berserker rage, depicting someone knocked out or dead, or simply depicting eyes on a character too far away to be drawn in detail.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny that this design was meant to be less risqué and fan servicey, and now there's a ton of pantyhose/leggings fetishistic fan art.