• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
In the world of PC and console gaming, The Witcher was already widely popular. The most recent game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, was released in May 2015. In June 2019, the game's publisher CD Projekt Red confirmed that the game sold over 20 million units worldwide. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was ported to the Nintendo Switch console in October 2019, just before the Netflix series premiered. These combined factors caused the game to have a strong surge in sales during Q4 2019. U.S. December physical sales for the game were 554 percent higher than December 2018, and still 63 percent higher even when excluding the Nintendo Switch platform.

The Witcher has successfully capitalized on the strong market interest that Game of Thrones fostered for fantasy series. Given the positive reception of the first season, it may well grow to fill the newly created hole that appeared when Game of Thrones ended in May 2019. Much like Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings, and many others, media was a catalyst to bring mainstream attention to strong source material loved by subcultures.

The takeaway from this success for IP holders is to keep a pulse on market trends across entertainment, and creatively explore existing IP so they can capitalize on growing interest in new categories that fit their IP, just as The Witcher has with its Netflix series. And for those looking to license IP for new content, it is important to prospect as creatively as possible and look for specialized trends in other areas of the entertainment, such as book IP, that could translate strong source material into large followings.

Read the rest of the article through this link.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh so that sure makes it seem like the Switch version sold very well, right? Unless I'm misreading? Or unless this is a revenue based increase?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Everything NPD software wise is revenue based these days.

The PR makes it sound like units based, since it says "physical sales for the game" but yeah I usually assume NPD stuff is revenue based. I wish they would include clarification any time they talk about percentage increases like this.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't do the math here without knowing what it sold last December but it sounds like the Switch version sold well and kept selling through December.

Also, even though the Netflix show is helping bring more attention back to the game. There is no doubt the the game is why Netflix saw the potential with The Witcher. The author may not like that fact, but the game took his books and made them into what it is today.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Best game ever made and never wil be surpassed.

The game is phenomenal but I'd hate to be you. Every flower won't smell as good as the one flower you smelled in 2015. Meanwhile here I am swearing trying to loot an underwater chest because the controls are consistently inconsistent :P.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Things like this also make me wonder if GoT helped other games find even greater success. Breath of the Wild for example will most likely sell 22 million copies, doubling that of the next best selling game in the series. I never though I'd live to see fantasy and Medieval era games in the mainstream.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the port was worth it. I know this is revenue based so it's probably not as amazing as it sounds (especially since I assume the game is most likely being sold for bargain prices now on other platforms), but if they're putting out sales details then it's gotta at least be somewhat up to expectations, right?

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Considering the Switch version is being sold for 60 bucks and the Steam berieon was 15 dollars las time I checked, I think they're pretty happy with their portable version.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Man, The Witcher show is way more impactful than I would have ever thought possible. Crazy.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Personally can't get too excited about percentages differences without knowing the values, but I'm still happy that the show and the Switch port is generating renewed interest.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And I still stopped playing it when I tried to get back into it after Witcher Netflix. I got all the gameplay enhancer mods now too. I think loot is my problem now. I just finished the bubble witch (Keira Metz) segment and I'm still like level 3 or something with level 1 gear, and this old guy with the goat wants something. I remember already doing this so I likely started over I guess.

This game seem to have some kind of repellent spell on me.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it did well for what it is like a lot of the other western AAA third party ports on Switch. We know Diablo 3 and Civilization pulled big numbers and Bethesda said they have been happy with the sales from games like Skyrim and Doom.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The PR makes it sound like units based, since it says "physical sales for the game" but yeah I usually assume NPD stuff is revenue based. I wish they would include clarification any time they talk about percentage increases like this.
Unless NPD explicitly says unit sales, it is revenue. Even "physical sales" can be logically read as revenue from physical units sold. It's the rule Mat's been trying to get all of us to learn :P

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I imagine it did well for what it is like a lot of the other western AAA third party ports on Switch. We know Diablo 3 and Civilization pulled big numbers and Bethesda said they have been happy with the sales from games like Skyrim and Doom.
The only third party to have complained about its performance on Switch so far has been EA.
I wonder why...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible. I was told the Switch version was unplayable.

Who would buy a game that you can't play?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Unless NPD explicitly says unit sales, it is revenue. Even "physical sales" can be logically read as revenue from physical units sold. It's the rule Mat's been trying to get all of us to learn :P

Makes sense, the wording is just strange to me. I still feel like only NPD words things like this, where "physical sales of a game" can mean "sales revenue of a game". Maybe it's the word "physical" making me think it's referring to the physical unit itself and not the revenue generated by the sale.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Kinda wish they'd go back and port the first two Witcher titles as well, I'd love to play 'em.
The first one is a shit show of a code base, it's never happening (plus, it's not worth it, the game itself is pretty meh and would need to be reworked significantly to be put on consoles anyway).
TW2 has that 360 port they could put on modern consoles, though...

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Despite the mixed critical reviews, the TV show was a massive hit, so it's not surprised it's had a trickle-down effect for the games as well.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the port was worth it. I know this is revenue based so it's probably not as amazing as it sounds (especially since I assume the game is most likely being sold for bargain prices now on other platforms)
i mean, why wouldn't it be as amazing as it sounds? there's a full price version out there that's selling very well and making them a lot of money. they probably care more about how much money they're making, not how many copies they're selling at bargain bin prices.

Lolosgolos

Oct 28, 2017
Yenifer's back story was a surprising addition but it held up well. Started from Witcher 2 so not sure if that's how she started out

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, why wouldn't it be as amazing as it sounds? there's a full price version out there that's selling very well and making them a lot of money. they probably care more about how much money they're making, not how many copies they're selling at bargain bin prices.
I wasn't trying to suggest the result is bad or anything, I just know that percentages often look a lot more appealing depending on the circumstances and was more curious how the revenue stream looked beforehand. It's obviously still a success if they're willing to talk about the details.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yenifer's back story was a surprising addition but it held up well. Started from Witcher 2 so not sure if that's how she started out

All of the Witcher games are set after the final stories in the books. So her backstory isn't shown in the games. It might be discussed (I haven't played the first game) but I don't think it is.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Playing the witcher 3 for the second time, this time on switch (last time was on release on ps4). Already 50 hours in. Addicting as hell, game of the forever and PERFECT FOR SWITCH lol

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is my math correct here?
assuming it is dollar sales, and if the game made X dollars in december of 2018, the game made 6.554*X dollars in december of 2019, with 1.63*X dollars being for the non-switch versions and 4.924*X dollars for switcher.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Amazon Canada for December had Witcher 3 Switch higher than Star Wars XBox in unit sales.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
is my math correct here?
assuming it is dollar sales, and if the game made X dollars in december of 2018, the game made 6.554*X dollars in december of 2019, with 1.63*X dollars being for the non-switch versions and 4.924*X dollars for switcher.
Quite close: the total number should be 6.54*X, and the Switch number 4.91*X.