• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Highly surprised to see Banjo-Kazooie there, perhaps more than I stupidly have been. Hope this means we also get Diddy Kong Racing. Also pleased that Dr. Mario 64 is here since that was never on the VC, and ONLINE F-ZERO X

I've never minded the current price, so I'll be okay with an increase as long as it isn't too bad.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People forget it's just a shitty $19.99 for Switch Online. That's barely anything if we're being honest. I'd pay another 10 for the extra systems to be added without feeling too ripped off.
A lot of us already own these games on the virtual console. A subscription fee for "free" games is one thing, as long as there's also an option to outright buy those games. That's not the case here.

Microsoft and Sony actually have online features for their consoles, and the online component of their first-party games is fantastic. The online component of Nintendo's games is awful.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have all of those genesis games on the mini, which cost me the same as they're charging for the wireless genesis controller.

L

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm really curious where the N64 one goes. I feel like in past rereleases it's the console I've played the least deep cuts in, even though it was my first. If they're gonna charge extra for it and Genesis hopefully there's a steadier stream of new releases.

Also, like, are they gonna put every Mario Party on it?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
monkey-frown.gif
I don't want to subscribe.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not even extra services, just a handful of games you could buy on the Wii eshop? And it doesn't even have Mystical Ninja or Mischief Makers? Haaaard pass.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Honestly disgusting to see them try to charge more for a subscription that was a terrible deal in the first place.

Such a shame to see their great virtual console offerings through many generations turn into this monstrosity.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I hate subscriptions but if this will actually end up with most of the 64 games, damn son. So many of my favourite games are on that console.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking the looks of this but...

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

I sure hope this isn't implying Europe is getting 50hz versions of certain games, 'cos I'll have to start up an entirely different NSO subscription on my US account.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart having online play is pretty awesome. Those controller prices are crazy though. And they better add Wave Race or we riot.

I'm also pretty concerned with how long it'll take them to add games for each system after the initial launch. I don't want to have to wait until 2023 for big name games.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
A lot of us already own these games on the virtual console. A subscription fee for "free" games is one thing, as long as there's also an option to outright buy those games. That's not the case here.

Microsoft and Sony actually have online features for their consoles, and the online component of their first-party games is fantastic. The online component of Nintendo's games is awful.

I own a ton of digital games on PS3 I can't play on my PS4, or I didn't think I could. How do I transfer stuff like NBA Jam to my PS4?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Can the NSO controllers be used on other games? I think that N64 controller would be great for Monkey Ball

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Worth extra money for the online n64 games in my opinion. Nintendos subscription service is already the cheapest of all 3 so I'm not mad in slightest.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see what the extra charge is, but hard to imagine it's something I won't pay. Have received more than enough value out of the Family membership I currently have. Excited to replay these games and play some for the first time.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

I sure hope this isn't implying Europe is getting 50hz versions of certain games, 'cos I'll have to start up an entirely different NSO subscription on my US account.
There only is one japanese and one non japanese version of the NES and SNES apps.

It's very likely the rest of consoles will be the same. And you can download the app for the other region by temporarily changing your country.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I know the value is relative, but honestly, I prefer this model to Virtual Console.

I pay 5 euros a year for NSO, which is less than what a single N64 game would cost me in VC.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

You can just change accounts region once to download another region's iirc, no need for another sub

Should be, AFAIK they just show up like any other controller.
That's great. Hope they make enough stock to last a while then

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

is the N64 version of Winback different than the ps2 version or was that a sequel.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

With your European subscription, you can download the NA and JP version. At least, right now, it's possible with Famicom and Super Famicom games.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
This will be a success and we will never have the dream of buying old Nintendo games on a VC system again. Just the odd collection to celebrate an anniversary or paying for streaming :(

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
Also i will subscribe only if they had N64 Perfect dark with the bots because the 360 version did not have it if i remembered.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

There's no non Jpn version of Sins &Punishment and we don't even get 50Hz version of NES/SNES games.
We absolutely will not have 50Hz version of anything anymore....maybe the Castlevania Advance collection I guess...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Mario 3D All Stars collection had the PAL boxes on the level select but had the 60hz version for Mario 64.

True, it's just weird how selective it is, unless it's entirely for the recognizability and the US examples were the same in both territories???

With your European subscription, you can download the NA and JP version. At least, right now, it's possible with Famicom and Super Famicom games.
There only is one japanese and one non japanese version of the NES and SNES apps.

It's very likely the rest of consoles will be the same. And you can download the app for the other region by temporarily changing your country.

Ah ok, didn't know you could download the separate app to access 'em like that. That makes it less of a Wii flashback.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand i really do not care enough about paying more, but on the other there's no universe where i will not take the chance to play banjo kazooie on the go.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll probably be idiot again and get this when Majora arrives. But more money instead of implementing into a super lacking service? Terrible.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The offer would be a lot more compelling with Mario Party games.

I get why Nintendo's not including them, but it's still disappointing.

Maybe after Superstars sales level off they will add Mario Party 1-3.

I mean, the N64 is already missing a good chunk of its library without Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc. No Smash either. MP makes sense after Superstars has been out for maybe a year or so.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The 1st is a fantastic adventure game that was Zelda before Nintendo actually released Ocarina of time so it's really experimental.
The 2nd one is absolutely a glorious 2.5D platformer.

Agreed. My brother and I rented them as kids but I never got to finish them so if they got added to NSO it would be incredible.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
The backlash isn't surprising, but I'm fine with this. I'd be surprised if it's more than $30 a year. In fact it's very possible that they didn't announce the price to gauge the market response.

I've never played dr. Mario 64 or star fox 64, and Paper Mario would be great to revisit.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Don't understand the issue. The amount that we paid on VC for all the titles we're getting more than justifies the cost. These were what? $5 each on VC.

May 24, 2019

FAAZCVwVEAEV11l

You can use one sub across all stores right now. I have the Famicom and SF apps right alongside my NES and SNES ones. The expansion will probably be the same.