• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom has a bunch of their 3DS eShop games on big sales until 3/27, so this seems like a good time to get their games on some good discounts before the eShop shuts down next year.

Prices are US:

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - $4.99
Mega Man Legacy Collection - $4.99
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - $4.99
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - $4.99
Monster Hunter Generations - $4.99
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies - $4.99 - Reminder that this game has in-game DLC that'll disappear after the eShop shuts down
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice - $4.99 - Reminder that this game has in-game DLC that'll disappear after the eShop shuts down
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - $11.99
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - $1.99
Resident Evil Revelations - $1.99
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - $4.99

Wii U games with no links since there's no webstore for these games anymore, so you'll have to boot up your Wii U to grab these:

DuckTales: Remastered - $3.74
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - $3.74
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - $7.99
Resident Evil Revelations - $9.99

Last edited:

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Probably gonna jump on the other ace attorney games minus the trilogy unless people think they will be ported to switch. Tempted by revelations at 2$ as well...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Putting the super cheap price aside, how good are these Ace Attorney games (the trilogy aside, I bought that already for the Switch)

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Putting the super cheap price aside, how good are these Ace Attorney games (the trilogy aside, I bought that already for the Switch)
Dual Destinies have some good cases, along with a pretty boring second one. Spirit of Justice is probably my favorite ace attorney personally.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I might pick up Apollo Justice just to have it. It was not my favorite when I first played it but at that price I might as well have it for posterity.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
spirit of justice is a steal at that price. I think it's the best AA game aside from GAA.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Apollo Justice is generally solid, Duel Destinies is the weakest but still some great highs and Spirit of Justice is my favourite in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally said damn at like all those prices. Gonna get all the AA games for sure, maybe MH3 and 4 for old times sake

Do we know if post eshop closure if the transfer function between systems will remain?

Jan 29, 2018

Spirit of Justice and Dual Destinies are really good in my opinion. Apollo Justice was kind of a snooze-fest. At least its overlong final case was, which is most of what I remember.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Which of these AA games are only available on 3DS (not counting mobile ports)?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need to buy a 3ds soon. I have no interest in 2ds so I'm going to hunt one down and not get ripped off.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
$5 for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is a got damn steal. Easily one of the best mh games. No clue how active the online is, but even just doing the village stuff you'll get dozens of hours worth of content.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I know everyone viscerally hated the whole "you can't delete your save data" thing and the original $40 price tag for The Mercenaries 3D, but if you're even remotely a fan of RE4/5/6-style Mercenaries I really think you should give it a go at this price. It's by far my most played 3DS game and it's a truly excellent portable version of RE5 Mercenaries with new content and features (also includes two RE4 maps). It has a little non-narrative campaign mode to help you through some levels with easier difficulty before tossing you into the full fat experience, with nine unique maps overall and eight characters (each with an unlockable second costume/equipment loadout) making it also the most content-rich Mercenaries experience. Just a joy of a game.

klauser-2_20101110_psd_jpgcopy.jpg
g5ueqhlh6uu61.png
wesker-2_101118_psd_jpgcopy.jpg
barry-2_101112_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Already own all of them. Capcom was really on a roll on the 3DS - get these games for that price.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Bleh, those prices are even lower than the prior sale in December. Could've saved another $5 or so. I've been playing all the Atlus stuff.

Any reason to get both MH4 and Generations? Or is the latter an improved version of the former?

Will have to see if the AA DLC is also on sale, doesn't seem like you can check from the web pages.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Apollo Justice gets a pretty mixed reaction, with case 3 (of 4) generally thought of as one of the worst cases in the entire franchise. I do like the game overall, but it's hard to deny that case 3's reputation is unearned. People definitely have thoughts about how Phoenix is characterized in this game. Apollo and his assistant have a very different dynamic than Phoenix and Maya.

Dual Destinies is kind of a soft reboot to try to bring things closer to the original trilogy. Phoenix is more like his old self, but Apollo kind of gets the short end of the stick (YMMV depending on how you feel about Apollo). Because of the localization practices, the game's prosecutor does come off as a major weeb (YMMV if that's amusing or not). Case 2 also suffers quite a bit because of the localization practices of these games.

Spirit of Justice definitely goes in on nostalgia for fans of the original trilogy, but it also has some very strong cases. Case 2, Case 3, and especially Case 5 are all cases I think very highly of. I do think this game's prosecutor is the weakest in the series. The DLC case tries to cash in on nostalgia for the original trilogy.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
How far must one play into the AA games before access to DLC purchase is avail?

Also for FE games?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dual Destinies have some good cases, along with a pretty boring second one. Spirit of Justice is probably my favorite ace attorney personally.

Apollo Justice is generally solid, Duel Destinies is the weakest but still some great highs and Spirit of Justice is my favourite in the series.

Spirit of Justice and Dual Destinies are really good in my opinion. Apollo Justice was kind of a snooze-fest. At least its overlong final case was, which is most of what I remember.

Apollo Justice gets a pretty mixed reaction, with case 3 (of 4) generally thought of as one of the worst cases in the entire franchise. I do like the game overall, but it's hard to deny that case 3's reputation is unearned. People definitely have thoughts about how Phoenix is characterized in this game. Apollo and his assistant have a very different dynamic than Phoenix and Maya.

Dual Destinies is kind of a soft reboot to try to bring things closer to the original trilogy. Phoenix is more like his old self, but Apollo kind of gets the short end of the stick (YMMV depending on how you feel about Apollo). Because of the localization practices, the game's prosecutor does come off as a major weeb (YMMV if that's amusing or not).

Spirit of Justice definitely goes in on nostalgia for fans of the original trilogy, but it also has some very strong cases. Case 2, Case 3, and especially Case 5 are all cases I think very highly of. I do think this game's prosecutor is the weakest in the series. The DLC case tries to cash in on nostalgia for the original trilogy.

Interesting. Oh, and this is a case where like, it doesn't matter if you skip an entry (like if I only cared about Spirit of Justice), or is it a pretty clear trilogy?

I mean I guess for the super cheap price, if I were to buy one of them, I may as well get all, but I'm just curious.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Oh, and this is a case where like, it doesn't matter if you skip an entry (like if I only cared about Spirit of Justice), or is it a pretty clear trilogy?

I mean I guess for the super cheap price, if I were to buy one of them, I may as well get all, but I'm just curious.
It does not matter, except in the sense that you will miss the introduction of appollo, and his gimmick, athena and her gimmick, the 5th game prosecutor, and the setup to appollo missing parents. The rest is specific to the game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice are definitely connected. Apollo Justice is kind of weird in that it's definitely a major game, and introduces some major characters (such as Apollo himself), but a lot of it feels disconnected from the other games in a way that's kind of hard to explain without getting into spoiler territory. The simplest explanation as to why is the people who made Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice were not the same people who made Apollo Justice.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Dual Destinies was a pretty mid AA game, but the DLC case was excellent. I'd highly encourage you all to pick that one up if you can.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Also for FE games?
You can buy the dlc at the start screen.
For the fire emblems, you need to access the outrealm gate, so the 5th chapter for the 3 of them, (when you get the world map) i think.

Bleh, those prices are even lower than the prior sale in December. Could've saved another $5 or so. I've been playing all the Atlus stuff.

Any reason to get both MH4 and Generations? Or is the latter an improved version of the former?

Will have to see if the AA DLC is also on sale, doesn't seem like you can check from the web pages.
They are pretty different games at the end of the day, despite playing 95% similarly. MH4U still has the best sense of story progression of any game in the series and absolutely stellar production values (it is legitimately what would happen if you designed MHW around 3DS hardware) to go with some very, very meaty content. Gen is more of a franchise celebration game with how much they wind up reusing monsters and maps from the entirety of the series, but with all the fourth gen gameplay improvements in tact along with its own unique gimmick with the Hunter Styles, as well as letting you play as your own Palico in Prowler mode. That said, Gen isn't essential as GU on Switch has all of that content and so, so much more, so unless you have a burning need to start your save on Gen and use the save transfer tool to continue on with GU, it's not nearly as essential to get as MH4U would be with the looming closure and the close-to-zero chance of it getting ported elsewhere.

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
I assume most of these are new record low prices? It's the inability to get DLC/updates after 3DS eShop closure that really is outrageous

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to pick up the rest of the PW games I don't have, but I did so much damage w/ the Sega/Atlus sale earlier this year... and I've started none of those. LOL

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Don't sleep on Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice. Easily among the best in the series

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
They are pretty different games at the end of the day, despite playing 95% similarly. MH4U still has the best sense of story progression of any game in the series and absolutely stellar production values (it is legitimately what would happen if you designed MHW around 3DS hardware) to go with some very, very meaty content. Gen is more of a franchise celebration game with how much they wind up reusing monsters and maps from the entirety of the series, but with all the fourth gen gameplay improvements in tact along with its own unique gimmick with the Hunter Styles, as well as letting you play as your own Palico in Prowler mode. That said, Gen isn't essential as GU on Switch has all of that content and so, so much more, so unless you have a burning need to start your save on Gen and use the save transfer tool to continue on with GU, it's not nearly as essential to get as MH4U would be with the looming closure and the close-to-zero chance of it getting ported elsewhere.

Oh right, totally forgot Generations was on Switch as well. Would be easier to play it there.

That and 4U's story focus makes it the one I'll grab. I'm sort of delayed on my MH these days (played a LOT of Tri and 3U) so I don't mind taking my time with an older title.

How's Revelations? 2 bucks good?

As REs go it's middle of the pack. Decent, and generally worth playing. For $2 and being the only traditional RE on the 3DS makes it an easy grab - I'd only hold off if you'd rather play it elsewhere, as Rev is on everything and plays much better on consoles.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Slightly off topic, but will there be something similar for EU perhaps?

Nintendo of Europe seems to have all but checked out with regards to the 3DS, especially on the sales front, so I wouldn't hold out hope of them putting these up on the EU store. Sucks as I remember a lot of the JRPGs like the SMT games, Radiant Historia, etc. went on sale before Christmas in NA but didn't over here in the UK/EU.

I'm holding out hope that NoE will pull the finger our eventually and put some decent stuff on sale prior to debit/credit card payments being stopped in 2 months time.

Process for buying DLC for AA Dual Destinies & Spirit of Justice
OP
OP
Captain of Outer Space

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

Also for FE games?
Just tried it myself. Dual Destinies automatically starts a new game that requires you to watch the intro up to the point that it gives you control after a few minutes, but then you can save and back out to the title menu to grab the DLC. It's $5.99 for the one DLC episode.

Spirit of Justice forces you to start a new game from the main menu and similarly watch a quick couple minute intro until you get control, save, and back out to the main menu to grab the DLC. There's a $5.99 DLC episode and two $3.99 "What If?" mini episodes.

Can someone check if the Ace Attorney DLCs were also discounted?
They're not.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone viscerally hated the whole "you can't delete your save data" thing and the original $40 price tag for The Mercenaries 3D, but if you're even remotely a fan of RE4/5/6-style Mercenaries I really think you should give it a go at this price. It's by far my most played 3DS game and it's a truly excellent portable version of RE5 Mercenaries with new content and features (also includes two RE4 maps). It has a little non-narrative campaign mode to help you through some levels with easier difficulty before tossing you into the full fat experience, with nine unique maps overall and eight characters (each with an unlockable second costume/equipment loadout) making it also the most content-rich Mercenaries experience. Just a joy of a game.
100%, it's a fantastic game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Spirit of Justice is genuinely awesome and one of the best AA's since the original trilogy, that one's well worth it. Dual Destinies is pretty average and feels particularly held back by not being able to decide if it wants to be a Phoenix, Apollo, or Athena game, but even the mid-tier Ace Attorney games are worth playing, and for its time it definitely had the best presentation of the bunch. Despite a distinctly average batch of cases, the DLC case is a gem.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017

If I was you, I would definitely play Apollo Justice before SoJ if you can. SoJ might have Phoenix Wright in the name but it is essentially Apollo Justice 2.

Also, AJ and SoJ are great. DD is shit and I kinda regret playing it. Even more after I did it a second time.

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it myself. Dual Destinies automatically starts a new game that requires you to watch the intro up to the point that it gives you control after a few minutes, but then you can save and back out to the title menu to grab the DLC. It's $5.99 for the one DLC episode.

Spirit of Justice forces you to start a new game from the main menu and similarly watch a quick couple minute intro until you get control, save, and back out to the main menu to grab the DLC. There's a $5.99 DLC episode and two $3.99 "What If?" mini episodes.

They're not.
For extra info, those two what if mini episodes are only a few minutes long, but they come with a exclusive 3ds theme each.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Man Monster Hunter 4 and the Resident Evil games take up a ton of space on the SD card