• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
5021644.jpg

First as the title says, I think it's fair to acknowledge the THQ Nordic thing to warn people about it. If you wish to talk more about that topic, this is the original thread on the topic with all the info you need on what they did. Note that I won't be supporting them myself.

With that out of the way, I made the thread to draw attention to this oddity I saw when browsing GameFly just now. It looks like download notices might take a much smaller and frankly nicer approach than the giant banner to the right of the Switch logo from before.

Here's an example of the prior usage:

5014456.jpg

You can tell the new style may be official since it's using that same blue internet logo but now inverted.

Thoughts?

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Wait, is this release just a download code in the box? Because This War of Mine is a really small download on PC, like under 2GB I believe.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, is this release just a download code in the box? Because This War of Mine is a really small download on PC, like under 2GB I believe.

No no. Usually this means that when you put the cart in the system, it will require a download for the rest of the game. Supposedly some games CAN be played without doing so, but I'm not certain of examples. DOOM has the entire single-player mode on the cart with the entire multiplayer as a download (but lacks the banner on the box, thankfully).

This is an issue with folks since this screws folks with either no Wi-Fi, or just terrible connection quality period. Plus this endangers the cart to being useless many years from now when servers shutdown and with that goes said download.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
No no. Usually this means that when you put the cart in the system, it will require a download for the rest of the game. Supposedly some games CAN be played without doing so, but I'm not certain of examples. DOOM has the entire single-player mode on the cart with the entire multiplayer as a download (but lacks the banner on the box, thankfully).

This is an issue with folks since this screws folks with either no Wi-Fi, or just terrible connection quality period. Plus this endangers the cart to being useless many years from now when servers shutdown and with that goes said download.
Yeah but that's what I mean. It's a tiny filesize. Did they really cheap out and not use a cart big enough?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Point is, the game is 2GB. Why would it require any download?

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I was somewhat interested in this game--is THQ Nordic only handling the physical release, or are they the digital publisher as well?

Also super bizarre given how small it is....

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
There is no download required on the EU version.
They use different carts? Hmm

Looks a lot better no less.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Funny because this is the EU cover from last November (actual scan of the physical thing, not just a marketing jpg which is often inaccurate). They didn't need a download notice on this one at all. Why does the US one even have one.

689647_front.jpg

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
mortal kombat 11 need download
that kart is 8GB but it' only hold 6GB of data
update is about 16GB

mh0Z0XB.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Point is, the game is 2GB. Why would it require any download?

The indie developer/pubilsher can't afford a bigger card?

This has always been an issue for small publishers/developers ever since the GBA & DS. They always choose the cheapest carts/cards they can.

This is why so many GBA games lacked any sort of native save feature and had to rely on passwords. Writable storage on the carts costed more money. They would also make use of the smallest carts/cards possible to save money too.

Switch just continues that same trend. Be grateful that they're not cheaping out even more with a 1GB card (that's the smallest Switch card available).

The major pubilshers have no excuse though. They're just throwing a middle finger at you by cheaping out and passing the costs onto you.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The indie developer/pubilsher can't afford a bigger card?

This has always been an issue for small publishers/developers ever since the GBA & DS. They always choose the cheapest carts/cards they can.

This is why so many GBA games lacked any sort of native save feature and had to rely on passwords. Writable storage on the carts costed more money. They would also make use of the smallest carts/cards possible to save money too.

Switch just continues that same trend. Be grateful that they're not cheaping out even more with a 1GB card (that's the smallest Switch card available).

The major pubilshers have no excuse though. They're just throwing a middle finger at you by cheaping out and passing the costs onto you.
I was under the impression the smallest size was already above 2GB.

You say at least they're not using a 1GB card... Then what are they using if the game is 2GB and still needs a download?

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like it. The 'download only' notice should be as large and shameful as possible.

I can understand a few exceptions, but for the most part I don't even think it should be allowed. Is what it is though, at least they do provide a clear warning.

Oct 29, 2017
I was under the impression the smallest size was already above 2GB.

You say at least they're not using a 1GB card... Then what are they using if the game is 2GB and still needs a download?

Oh, I thought that the game was above 2GB?

In that case it's probably using a 1GB card then. Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mega Man Legacy Collection uses a 1GB card too BTW.