• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
During Microsoft's quarterly financial conference call for investors and analysts, Chief Operating Officer Satya Nadella and Chief Financial Officer Amy Hood talked about the current situation of the Xbox business.

Nadella underlined that this fiscal year Microsoft's gaming business passed ten billion dollars in revenue for the first time, and mentioned that the company is aggressively investing in content, community, and cloud services for games.

"In gaming, we're pursuing our expansive opportunity from the way games are created and distributed, to how they're played and viewed, surpassing ten billion revenue this year for the first time. We're investing aggressively in content, community, and cloud services across every end-point to expand usage and deepen engagement with gamers.

The combination of Xbox Live Game Pass subscription and Mixer are driving record levels of growth and engagement."

Nadella also commented on requent acquisitions.

"PlayFab accelerates our vision to build a world-class cloud platform for the gaming industry across mobile, PC, and console. The addition of five new gaming studios bolsters our first-party content development to support our fast-growing gaming services."

Hood talked about the outlook for the gaming business in the current fiscal quarter (between July 1st and September 30th, 2019). Microsoft expects revenue growth around 15%.

"In gaming, we expect mid-teens revenue growth, with continued strong user engagement on our platforms. The software and services growth rate will moderate due to a strong third-party title launch a year ago."

https://www.dualshockers.com/microsoft-investing-gaming/

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good, the industry is better when Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all have strong first party line ups

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That's great. Keeps the rest on their toes too, not to mention that it gives me a reason to buy into Microsoft's catalogue too.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
"Investing Aggressively".....Great. I've been saying this. Next gen is going to be amazing. I expect MS to go all out on not just hardware and 1st party output but also community and gaming services. They've already done so much i.e Xbox live, encouraging services like Ea access, game preview, game pass, gifting and refunds, mixer, amazing BC support, game enhancements/ features , elite controller/ adaptive controller, Xbox one S and X and much more.

Last edited:

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's very clear this is the case. Will be really interesting to see how much consumers embrace streaming and these different distribution subscriptions next gen. I'm excited about the possibilities.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is basically Microsoft's plan B for always-online console gaming. If you don't even own the hardware, then you would be forced to be online.

Microsft's plans are pretty transparent. They were never very good liars.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I will definitely be getting an X eventually, at launch for Halo Infinite if not before.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is basically Microsoft's plan B for always-online console gaming. If you don't even own the hardware, then you would be forced to be online.

Liars? Lol. What is this? You mean a service similar to what Sony currently has "PSnow"

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Reassuring words. Here's to hoping for a successful next gen for them and more forward-facing, but consumer-friendly, initiatives from them in the future.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder what they will have next e3. I assume Sony and MS last wave of games will be cross gen..

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Right. If they want streaming to take off Microsoft really needs to figure out how to let me stream offline. A streaming console that needs online is a no go.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean obviously. It's raking in money and growth. As a business you tend to invest into sectors that are growing.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"The combination of Xbox Live Game Pass subscription and Mixer are driving record levels of growth and engagement."

So Mixer is also included in their XBOX engagement numbers? That's an interesting caveat if true.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah boyee, I want to see 360-era Microsoft back in the game. I'm probably going to end up skipping the XB1 entirely, but I'll be there day one if all these deals they're making right now bear fruit in time for the next Xbox.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right. If they want streaming to take off Microsoft really needs to figure out how to let me stream offline. A streaming console that needs online is a no go.
You joke, but the point is that the issues of streaming is even worse than always online for consoles.

Frankly I am not against streaming. But just like gaming on a phone, I consider it an inferior experience. MS is free to go all in on game streaming if they want, though of course one had to constantly remind people that Sony already got game streaming.

What exactly is MS going to do that is so different, that Sony isn't already doing? PSNow is ignored so much, that news media basically pretend it doesn't exist.

If game streaming is truly the next big thing, I would have thought that gaming news would mention PSNow more frequently. Or is it only important if Microsoft does it?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
You joke, but the point is that the issues of streaming is even worse than always online for consoles.

Frankly I am not against streaming. But just like gaming on a phone, I consider it an inferior experience. MS is free to go all in on game streaming if they want, though of course one had to constantly remind people that Sony already got game streaming.

What exactly is MS going to do that is so different, that Sony isn't already doing? PSNow is ignored so much, that news media basically pretend it doesn't exist.

If game streaming is truly the next big thing, I would have thought that gaming news would mention PSNow more frequently. Or is it only important if Microsoft does it?
Who exactly do you think gives a shit about streaming? No one gives a shit about ps now, not because it's Sony, it's because streaming sucks.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Irrelevant. There are no indications Microsoft is moving away from what we have today.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Who exactly do you think gives a shit about streaming? No one gives a shit about ps now, not because it's Sony, it's because streaming sucks.
It's mostly because PS Now basically includes older games.

While native gaming obviously will always have an edge, Microsoft has the resources and datacenter with Azure to actually create a streaming service that could be very successful - if they allow new games to launch there.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
"The combination of Xbox Live Game Pass subscription and Mixer are driving record levels of growth and engagement."

So Mixer is also included in their XBOX engagement numbers? That's an interesting caveat if true.
Mixer is heavily integrated into the Xbox OS, which I also believe powers their "share controller" feature which is basically SharePlay.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna

Where does it say that MS will go streaming only? If anything it has sounded that it will be an option besides an Xbox hardware.

Nov 12, 2017

Did you hear Phil Spencer interviews ? Local computing is not going anywhere ...stop it

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017

And they would've gotten away with it again if it wasn't for you dam kids!!!1!!!

Ps downloading games from gamepass isnt streaming... try harder?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I really struggle to care about the cloud for gaming purposes outside of saves. MS have been banging on about how the cloud will enhance games since crackdown 3 got revealed... A game that still isn;t out and has probably been rebooted more than once.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Embarassing post.

Back to the thread, Microsoft is doing a lot of work for backwards and forward compatibility, allowing your apps to be played on multiple devices, streaming to allow you to play on less meaty devices, get easy access to games with services like Game Pass... an interesting future for sure, looking forward to see where it'll go.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

dedicated hardware isn't going away buddy. Not sure how many times people have to be told this. You can still buy DVDs etc.. in the world of Netflix. Gaming will be the same.

Here it is straight from the horses mouth:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Very good. Microsoft should keep improving their stuff and keep listening to their (potential) customers, and their gaming business will only keep growing. Healthy competition benefits us all.

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017

I don't think that is talking about engagement numbers, as Game Pass isn't counted in the numbers either - it's the Xbox Live account you need to be able to use (or not) Game Pass that gets counted.

I think it just means that Game Pass and Mixer are driving people either towards Xbox (growth), or towards spending more hours on their Xbox (engagement).

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really struggle to care about the cloud for gaming purposes outside of saves. MS have been banging on about how the cloud will enhance games since crackdown 3 got revealed... A game that still isn;t out and has probably been rebooted more than once.
You are already using the cloud in many games you play. ;)
Cloud is just one word for alot of things.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

Microsoft wants to be where the gamer is. Console, mobile, streaming and PC.

Having one doesn't rule out all others.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yea... $10bn...they are definitely going to invest there especially since it's growing.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I like to hear! I honestly would have been happy with Xbox just getting more first party studios, but Microsoft has definitely gone all in. I've always felt that they do a good job with pushing new concepts forward, so I can't wait to see what their game streaming initiative looks like.