• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
yakuza.jpg

Toshihiro Nagoshi the director and producer of Yakuza series talked a bit about Shin Yakuza (the new PS4 game) during the Sega Fes today:
Nagoshi-san pledged that the new game will bring a major change to the series. While it's still going to be an action-adventure title, it's also going to surprise the fans.

The main character is going to be Ichiban Kasuga instead of traditional hero Kazuma Kiryu, and they have very different personalities. Due to that, their ways of acting and philosophies are also very different, and this will change the game as well.
This will also bring changes to the narration: previous Yakuza games had very serious main scenarios, while the humor was normally confined within the sidequests. Since Ichiban Kasuga is a funny dude and not a brooding stoic hero, the main scenario of the new game will include humor and funny scenes to match its protagonis
https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/new-yakuza-ps4-game/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Surprise lock this thread if old

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Sucks at no female lead this time.
Kiryu will never be surpassed tho. (Majima dont count)

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
While I wish this meant a female lead being a second playable character; by the way he is talking this innovation is likely related to a gameplay change akin to the fixed camera to 3D camera jump.

Sep 28, 2018
Are they going to give us a teaser trailer at SEGA Fes? I really hope so.

My main hope is that they have another city to explore, even if they keep Kamarocho.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So replaying Yakuza 4 at the moment. Kinda think they should have gone with Akiyama if they wanted a funny, and different character to Kiryu. He's a really great character (at least in 4, I feel he got the short end of the plot stick in 5).

Anyway, by major change I don't actually expect a real major change in terms of gameplay, I reckon it'll be largely the same. I'd love to get some of the wall based moves ripped straight from Judge Eyes, solely because they are great. But going by what they've shown/portrayed Ichiban as in RGG Online I don't see him doing athletic flips and grabs, rather brutally beating people to death. So somewhere closer to original Majima from Yakuza 1 and 2 in terms of aggression/level of violence.

Are they going to give us a teaser trailer at SEGA Fes? I really hope so.

My main hope is that they have another city to explore, even if they keep Kamarocho.

No, and no. Not sure why anyone expects any big news for the game before TGS this year. Yakuza games are always shown at TGS, has been like this for years and years. Maybe they get slightly earlier announcements in August for special Yakuza events, but those are mainly just teasers, and then full trailers coming at TGS. The Yakuza news at FES this year was RGG Online's big patch which includes Yakuza 1's entire plot.

And Kamurocho is absolutely the main focus in Shin RGG. The basic plot will be
Ichiban getting released from prison and fighting the Omi who's chased the Tojo out of Kamuro, taking back the city and squaring up against his former boss Arakawa (think that's spelt right). Basically think of some of the main plot like Yakuza 1 in reverse - instead of having a loving foster father (Kazama), Ichiban does time for the man he loved and respected only to get stabbed in the back when he gets out of prison. I'm actually interested to see if there's a "I was on your side all the time" twist in RGG Online to make Arakawa out as a good guy, or just double down and make him super evil instead (which I kinda hope they go with, don't need another martyr villain).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So replaying Yakuza 4 at the moment. Kinda think they should have gone with Akiyama if they wanted a funny, and different character to Kiryu. He's a really great character (at least in 4, I feel he got the short end of the plot stick in 5).

Anyway, by major change I don't actually expect a real major change in terms of gameplay, I reckon it'll be largely the same. I'd love to get some of the wall based moves ripped straight from Judge Eyes, solely because they are great. But going by what they've shown/portrayed Ichiban as in RGG Online I don't see him doing athletic flips and grabs, rather brutally beating people to death. So somewhere closer to original Majima from Yakuza 1 and 2 in terms of aggression/level of violence.
Was honestly expecting Akiyama to succeed Kiryu after 6 but apparently not. I'm cool with Ichiban taking over though, he seems sweet from the little we've seen from him so far.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a slight change in game design. Love the Yakuza series but I have played over 10 yakuza games by now and I think it's time for a little change.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they know they're not ready or have the knowledge to write a story about a woman living in a man's world.
Kaoru's role in Y2 was actually pretty good by Japanese writing standards, she subverted some tropes. For Yakuza, I think it's more about suspension of disbelief, because it's more akin to a Greek-style fraternity in how it's exclusively male. Women in yakuza families--or close, bonded wives with the clans--get the tattoos to show their devotion, but they aren't actually initiated members.

(Then again, the Japanese name for the series is "Like a Dragon," so that kinda invalidates my reasoning.)

A far, far more interesting take would be a mixed race yakuza. Not a lotta people know, but there's been a big flow of Jamaicans to Tokyo and metros over the past few decades, and they often get dragged into street level stuff working for yakuza. A story about a half-Jamaican/half-Japanese dude would be really neat.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Was honestly expecting Akiyama to succeed Kiryu after 6 but apparently not. I'm cool with Ichiban taking over though, he seems sweet from the little we've seen from him so far.
I expected it after 5. What with the whole "beginning of my own legend" speech he gives. At least Akiyama plays a prominent roll in RGG Online, means he should at least appear in Shin RGG, hopefully becoming playable in the second game once they've established Ichiban's personality. A Ichiban/Akiyama game done in the same way Kiryu and Majima was done in 0 would be my preference - 4 and 5 are great games in terms of gameplay but plot is hurt by making character chapters too short.

Full city and vehicles?
Hopefully that never happens. One of the worst things the series could do would be to become a GTA clone for real with a stupidly large, yet empty open world. Yakuza's areas work better (in my opinion) because they are smaller with so much going on. Not that I don't want the city to be expanded size wise though. The underground mall has gotta come back for Shin, Kamurocho Hills should absolutely be a shopping spot, and it'd be nice to just have another block or two to explore at least as I pretty much know that town back to front now.
Plus there's also the question mark over if the Dragon Engine could handle that sort of expansion (to a full city). I don't think it could, at least not in its current state on the PS4. Maybe next gen, or maybe if they upgrade to a more capable engine.

Nope. We already know the main character is Ichiban. That's the afro dude in the first post. That's who you'll be playing as. And hopefully he's the only playable character, can't have his origin game bogged down with other characters to flesh out as well.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Complain about the lack of a female protagonist in a Yakuza game that was announced years ago with the new protagonist already confirmed.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds exciting!

Ichiban sounds like a cool character and I can't wait to see how his legend will be.

As for the female playable character, they can absolutely write good women in the series so if they were to make one they will be a good character. As for when, I don't have a clue. Hope they do it one day as it could be interesting to see in a Yakuza game.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a much needed change. I do love the Yukuza stories.

But I hope they put more effort into side quest presentation and delivery, they seem cheaply put together by interns, a drastic step down from the main story which ends up hurting the game imo. I'm going off Y3 & Y0 (Y6 in my backlog) but it usually involves a generic NPC delivering lines through a text bubbles grunting and scratching, like old Banjo games. Compared to Batman Arkham Knight, RDR2, Witcher 3 which involve beautifully acted side-stories with the outcome often remembered in later stages of the game, adds a real sense of progress to the world that you're directly making changes to it, and the protagonist is being shaped by these exchanges. Here's hoping.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a much needed change. I do love the Yukuza stories.

But I hope they put more effort into side quest presentation and delivery, they seem cheaply put together by interns, a drastic step down from the main story which ends up hurting the game imo. I'm going off Y3 & Y0 (Y6 in my backlog) but it usually involves a generic NPC delivering lines through a text bubbles grunting and scratching, like old Banjo games. Compared to Batman Arkham Knight, RDR2, Witcher 3 which involve beautifully acted side-stories with the outcome often remembered in later stages of the game, adds a real sense of progress to the world that you're directly making changes to it, and the protagonist is being shaped by these exchanges. Here's hoping.

Well Yakuza 6 has fully voiced side stories. Only there are far less of them compared to any other game in the series. And the characters are still pretty stilted when delivering their lines. But the stories themselves are fantastic. But I find that's the case with almost all the games in the series (1's have aged the worst in that regard, they are mostly throwaway). 3 and up have many memorable side stories in my opinion, with only Ishin being a speed bump in side story quality. That's just my opinion though, of the ones you listed, I'd agree with RDR2 and Witcher being ace, and AK being pretty damn bad in terms of gameplay (mainly repeating the same thing 3 times for Firefly and Man Bat especially) and the payoffs being incredible weak - too many of the villains go down like a chump. Granted boss battles in the series outside of Origins weren't exactly the games strong point, but even so a couple were basically relegated to QTE's while Two Face's finale was so anticlimatic I didn't even realise I'd ko'ed him because he acts just like a random goon. City's were much better in my opinion for the most part.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Well Yakuza 6 has fully voiced side stories. Only there are far less of them compared to any other game in the series. And the characters are still pretty stilted when delivering their lines. But the stories themselves are fantastic. But I find that's the case with almost all the games in the series (1's have aged the worst in that regard, they are mostly throwaway). 3 and up have many memorable side stories in my opinion, with only Ishin being a speed bump in side story quality. That's just my opinion though, of the ones you listed, I'd agree with RDR2 and Witcher being ace, and AK being pretty damn bad in terms of gameplay (mainly repeating the same thing 3 times for Firefly and Man Bat especially) and the payoffs being incredible weak - too many of the villains go down like a chump. Granted boss battles in the series outside of Origins weren't exactly the games strong point, but even so a couple were basically relegated to QTE's while Two Face's finale was so anticlimatic I didn't even realise I'd ko'ed him because he acts just like a random goon. City's were much better in my opinion for the most part.
6 may have had less but them being all fully voiced made them for me personally. I was disappointed they went back to unvoiced ones just to make more.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
6 may have had less but them being all fully voiced made them for me personally. I was disappointed they went back to unvoiced ones just to make more.
I'm torn on the issue. On the one hand, I agree that the voices definitely added an extra something in 6, I really liked having the amount of content that say - Judge Eyes had (50 side quests which are bigger stories, and really good ones at that, and 50 smaller side character stories which are shorter but give you a nice little look into the other people living in Kamuro). I can go either way personally, hopefully we at least get a series of more indepth side stories in Shin that are fully voiced and acted (with better animations that 6 had).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the big surprise is that the combat won't suck butts up until you get tiger drop

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm torn on the issue. On the one hand, I agree that the voices definitely added an extra something in 6, I really liked having the amount of content that say - Judge Eyes had (50 side quests which are bigger stories, and really good ones at that, and 50 smaller side character stories which are shorter but give you a nice little look into the other people living in Kamuro). I can go either way personally, hopefully we at least get a series of more indepth side stories in Shin that are fully voiced and acted (with better animations that 6 had).
I'm more of a quality over quantity person when it comes to Yakuza. I find the major problem I have when they up the amount of side stories is that you only have a handful of memorable ones and the rest are kinda rubbish. 0 was the only one I found most of them at least worthwhile

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A far, far more interesting take would be a mixed race yakuza. Not a lotta people know, but there's been a big flow of Jamaicans to Tokyo and metros over the past few decades, and they often get dragged into street level stuff working for yakuza. A story about a half-Jamaican/half-Japanese dude would be really neat.
...which would mean the main narrative would have to tackle racism.

I mean, unless each game could just focus on a single main character...that is A LOT of heavy stuff to tackle that Kiryu didn't have to deal with during his adventures.

Sep 28, 2018
I'm very much down for a comedic main character/plot. The storytelling is fantastic in the Yakuza games but the selling point for me is the bizarre humour... More of that any day!

Confirmed info about Shin Yakuza
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Reading some of the posts here, I felt like I needed to do this. Here is what we know about Shin Yakuza for sure:

• Shin Yakuza will be set after the events of Yakuza 6
  • Ichiban Kasuga is confirmed to be the protagonist of the game (the pic in the OP)
  • The game will take place in Kamurocho. We might get more cities but for now Kamurocho is confirmed
  • Ichiban will have a female partner and they are auditioning for an actress to play her role right now

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading some of the posts here, I felt like I needed to do this. Here is what we know about Shin Yakuza for sure:

• Shin Yakuza will be set after the events of Yakuza 6
  • Ichiban Kasuga is confirmed to be the protagonist of the game (the pic in the OP)
  • The game will take place in Kamurocho. We might get more cities but for now Kamurocho is confirmed
  • Ichiban will have a female partner and they are auditioning for an actress to play her role right now
he fucks for sure dude

either that or he's actually not that good of a guy and murders people like an actual yakuza