• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Pro:

A refocus on input lag and latency for games. As someone who grew up with Arcades and CRTs, lag has been a regressive element for gaming, especially with the transition from CRTs around 2 decades ago. Hopefully this encourages all competitors to improve.

Con:

Videogames are an interactive medium, and input innovation with a controller that hardly differs from ones launched two decades ago (see Dualshock with twin analog sticks) inspires very little for a new platform.

Post your Pro and Con?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
pro:
Streamers will love it

Cons:
Google is evil.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Pro: Instant availability.
Con: Its Google and who knows what data they will mine from players.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Pros: The controller is connected to Wifi so switching between displays and sessions is easy.

Cons: The internet enabled controller with a microphone is made by Google.

I'm a hypocrite though, I use a Pixel Phone, so I shouldn't talk lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pro: ubiquitous device accessibility is something I believe is good for gaming accessibility

Con: the various downsides to the business model is probably going to cancel out the benefits of accessibility

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pro: With a good internet connection, this could change the way we play games

Con: With a good internet connection

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pro: Google is wasting their money instead of one of the big three
Con: Another avenue for the championing of nonownership

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pro: Not only will it be significantly cheaper than a console, but ideally one wouldn't even need to buy a new one every 5 years or so. The only things that need to improve would be on your ISP and Google's end.

Con: The internet infrastructure in a lot of countries is absolute ass.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Pro: Google will be funding new gaming experiences both first party and with external developers
Con: They will all be tied to a streaming platform

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Pro: Accessibility, providing it's cheap and runs well on slower wifi (bump down the res to 480p or whatever, kids playing on phones won't care)

Cons: Not being able to mod your games. I've played Minecraft for thousands of hours and it's all thanks to the incredible mods people pump out.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Pro : good for people that absolutely love gaming and are on the road a lot. Maybe hotels or at family places where they don't have a console/PC
Cons : might change the gaming landscape to a point where gaming becomes dull and bland and more like an assembly line product than something crafted with love. (this is just hypothetical I guess) So I go with "I don't need even more latency added to it".

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As a consumer, i don't see any PROS to be honest. The Concept of not owning your games and instead streaming them like Netflix is not appealing to me. Personally, it will make me to lose focus and interest in any game, speciall if they are until multis. I mean i already have a huge backlog, so no thanks. Even for Netflix, sometimes it is a huge effort to choose one movie or TV series, imagine when you will need to put several hours in one game and you need to choose wisely? Nah.

That's just me, maybe i',m just being myopic.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Stadia offers instant access and decent fidelity gaming for alot of low-end type machines. All you need is decent internet.

Con: Stadia will live or die by it's game lineup. Google will have exclusives but we have yet to see how many devs are supporting the platform.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Pro: being able to play high quality, max setting, PC level games without having to spend thousands of dollars on hardware

Con: the fear mongering from "hardcore gamerz" thinking there will be no place for physical in the future when music and movies have not lost their physical media

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Pro: Very convenient way to game the way you want, wherever you want.

Con: Require too much bandwidth limiting where and how long you can game, especially depending on how greedy/stingy your designated (by monopoly) ISP is in America.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
PRO: Easier than ever to try out a game you're interested in. Hopping into a game within seconds of seeing it? That's useful.

CON: Data caps make this entire thing completely impractical for most people. We're talking 15 - 20GB's an hour of play.

Oct 29, 2017
Pro: Trying random games out of the blue like you were renting a random movie.

Con: In some cases technical shortcomings may not make it a viable platform for more that taste sampling.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pros: Seems like really well thought out tech

Cons: Latency will be a major issues for any consumer not living in a major city near an Edge node

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Pro: hardware-agnostic gaming is absolutely a solid value prop

Con: I don't want Google to have more ways to moderate my digital existence to fuel its give-us-all-your-data-so-we-can-advertise-to-you business model

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Pro: The fact you can easily jump into a game from YouTube. Very convenient to help get people into playing.

Cons: Unproven territory for Google due to history of canning projects that go nowhere (like Google+) and their first-party studio having nothing to show.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Pro: Graphical abilities can be upgraded more frequently and with no additional cost to the consumer.
Con: Video compression makes me sad.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pro: Agnostic platform, easier access on many devices. Low upfront cost.

Con: Very likely becomes more expensive than having hardware when looked at realistically. While retaining few of the main values of having an actual PC.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Pro: Cheap and easy entry for playing AAA games
Con: How long will Google support it?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Pro - Super accessible and convenient. Every compatible device / screen, no matter what the spec, can basically play a game like a higher end PC.

Con - Server based content / not really owning your games. Loss of games if they decide to not support a certain game anymore.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The premise of this thread is biased, as if to suggest there are equal good things as bad. I don't see it that way.

Pros:
-Zero up front hardware cost if you have high speed internet, a device with a screen, and a controller.
-Substantially less load times
-No dealing with downloads and updates and patches
-Play on any screen size, from phone to 100"
-Higher fidelity, fps, physics capabilities than next gen consoles will be able to do. We can say this because next gen Consoles wont be using server class CPU, and their CPU/GPU wont be stack-able
-Better future proofing than consoles. Hardware is upgraded as needed without waiting 6 years.
-Better online with way more players per instance
-No fan noise, no heat or heavy electricity use from heavy processing
-Hardware can't wear out or get stolen, no need for hardware insurance
-Ultimate hybrid experience go seamlessly from TV to laptop to phone all using the same controller

Cons:
-Won't work on poor or no internet
-Who knows what games will actually be supported, or if they will really leverage the cloud
-Google
-Input latency not as good as PC
-Not sure if it will work well with VR

Oct 25, 2017
Pro: if it's a subscription, suddenly I can instantly try out a ton of games that I would definitely not have bothered with otherwise
Con: if it's a big success, local gaming will wither and games will be designed around the technical limitations of streaming. e.g., not requiring fast/accurate response time on the part of the player

OP thinks this will prompt devs to work harder on improving the latency in their games, which is possible, but the dystopian version is that they just make more sluggish games with worse feeling action.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Pro: start a game instantly
Con: anti-trust from google can really harm the market and to compensate for input lag, games will become slower and more sluggish.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This can be discussed in any of the stadia threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.