• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
GTA6 would clear 5 million in a week, no marketing, no nothing. The first video to hit YouTube would do numbers. I would put an MMO subscription Pokemon as second.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
A Marvel vs DC 3x3vquality fighting game. With Western animation and Japanese gameplay mechanics.

Arkham Knight and MKX sold 5 million in 5 years. Such a game could reach this number in less time

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It'd be hard for about any game.

Even Zelda: BOTW hasn't hit that many units sold and it's been out for a while + had marketing behind it.

Aside from GTA I think the series that might be able to do it:

Elder Scrolls
Minecraft
Pokemon

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft? Diablo? League of Legends?

Diablo 3 sold 3.5m copies in 24 hours.

Imagine if Blizzard announced Diablo 4 at Blizzcon with a trailer and ended it with 'OUT NOW'. The internet would break.

I was very clear in the rules about no trailers or announcements! The game would just be in stores with no warning, available for download on PSN/Xbox Live/Battle.net, that's it.

No trailers, no marketing, not even webpage adverts.

element

Oct 27, 2017
I was very clear in the rules about no trailers or announcements! The game would just be in stores with no warning, available for download on PSN/Xbox Live/Battle.net, that's it.

No trailers, no marketing, not even webpage adverts.
All Blizzard would have to do is change the Battle.net launcher to say "Diablo 4 Out Now" and it would sell 5m units in a week.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people underestimate how important marketing is, especially for non-multiplayer titles. You often get highly acclaimed, well marketed games where people say, "Wait, that released 6 months ago?"

element

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people underestimate how important marketing is, especially for non-multiplayer titles. You often get highly acclaimed, well marketed games where people say, "Wait, that released 6 months ago?"
There are some odd suggestions in here for sure and marketing is extremely important, but there are a handful of worldwide titles that have the name recognization and dedicated fanbase that would cause them to blindly buy it. I think the one area that people are ignoring is how some of these games sell around the world, not just in the US and UK. Sure Call of Duty is really popular, but Crossfire has 650 million registered users and 8 million concurrent but hardly even played outside of Asia.

Add the fact that some of these game has their own portal and marketplace, it would be easy to inform people of its availability.

Your post said no marketing prior to release. So a stealth release. Are you now saying that there would be no screenshots or trailers on whatever marketplace ONCE it is available? So 100% word of mouth?

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Diablo universe mmorpg. So many minds would be blown (as a WOW follow-up). :P

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
GTA

A new Mario or Zelda (dependent on install base)

Maybe an Elder Scrolls

Do any sports games have a chance?
Maybe Fifa?

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GTA6 would clear 5 million in a week, no marketing, no nothing. The first video to hit YouTube would do numbers. I would put an MMO subscription Pokemon as second.
Basically what I was about to post outside of those two Its anybodies bet.

I don't see half life 3 being big outside the pc market truthfully. I mean Orange box was like a decade ago and wasn't the best console release at the time.

5million exclusively via steam is a bit of stretch. You will lose about a day and a half waiting for people to learn about it then you have to sell a million each day.

Structure it around pay day or selling it at 39.99 and maybe

Majima

Oct 28, 2017
- Warcraft 4
- Any Rockstar Game
- Big Nintendo Titels
- Sports Games (EA), because even People who dont play any or some Video Games love them.
- Maybe Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
FFVll: Remake could release tomorrow and the word would spread like wildfire.

Every gaming news outlet on earth would be reporting it. 7 threads on the front page of each forum. It'd be sold out by the next night with people preordering the next shipments.

Yes, 5+ million in a few months.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: The 7 day time limit eliminates all but the biggest franchises GTA, COD, FIFA. Maybe Minecraft, Pokémon and PUBG.

There are not many if any franchises that can accomplish this feat.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I really think people are overestimating fallout , especially after 4.
Some people are overestimating a lot of things. Naming things that probably wouldn't sell 5 million in the first week even with marketing. Halo, Final Fantasy, Portal (lol), Zelda, even Mario. Like, Super Mario Odyssey is the fastest selling Mario game of all time. It sold 2 million copies in 3 days. And that was with 10 months of heavy, heavy marketing, promotions, and tie-ins. There is a 0% chance it would have sold 5 million in a week with no marketing.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Minecraft 2 would do it. Yes, the first game's cumulative sales are enormous, but that's due to having sustained sales over years and years and being so popular on YouTube, Twitch, etc. No doubt Minecraft 2 could sell 5 million in a week, but I don't know about its first week. The word of mouth machine takes a bit to get off the ground.

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GTA 6
Maybe a decent looking Game of Thrones MMO
ESPN NFL 2k18 for $20
A WoW port for consoles

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
So just like BEYONCE the album.

ddMq2AH.gif
That just makes the five million number even more ridiculous.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are overestimating a lot of things. Naming things that probably wouldn't sell 5 million in the first week even with marketing. Halo, Final Fantasy, Portal (lol), Zelda, even Mario. Like, Super Mario Odyssey is the fastest selling Mario game of all time. It sold 2 million copies in 3 days. And that was with 10 months of heavy, heavy marketing, promotions, and tie-ins. There is a 0% chance it would have sold 5 million in a week with no marketing.
Mario and Zelda couldn't do it now because Switch install base is only 7m units. Halo? Maybe, because it is such a staple to the Xbox brand. Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest maybe, but they would have to be mobile games.

For this level of 'instant buy' you have to have a title and brand that has built that level of consumer trust OR an audience large enough that it is just game of percentages. Blizzard has that reputation for 'instant buy' with something like a new Diablo or Starcraft and Clash Royale (130m registered users) or League of Legends (over 100m monthly users) could potentially do it just because their audiences are so large.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
FIFA, GTA and Red Dead.

Rockstar will probably sell 5 million GTA and Red Dead copies in 24 hours. It is ridiculous how popular they are, even among the casual gamer.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Mario and Zelda couldn't do it now because Switch install base is only 7m units. Halo? Maybe, because it is such a staple to the Xbox brand. Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest maybe, but they would have to be mobile games.

For this level of 'instant buy' you have to have a title and brand that has built that level of consumer trust OR an audience large enough that it is just game of percentages. Blizzard has that reputation for 'instant buy' with something like a new Diablo or Starcraft and Clash Royale (130m registered users) or League of Legends (over 100m monthly users) could potentially do it just because their audiences are so large.
Wired posted 7 million unique users during the first week of sales for Overwatch. That's after months of marketing and betas.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Switch install base hardly matters when SMO is literally the fastest selling Mario ever. It sold faster than Galaxy 2, which released to an install base of about 80-85 million.

And you're naming games that sometimes don't even hit 5 million lifetime sales with 8-figure marketing budgets.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Wired posted 7 million unique users during the first week of sales for Overwatch. That's after months of marketing and betas.
That is a new IP in a genre that Blizzard has never made. Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo have 20 years of history of being some of the best games in history as well as being popular globally. Seriously Blizzard could put "Diablo 4 Now Available" on Battle.net Launcher and it would hit 5m in a week. Easy.

And you're naming games that sometimes don't even hit 5 million lifetime sales with 8-figure marketing budgets.
Which games? Please enlighten me.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
That is a new IP in a genre that Blizzard has never made. Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo have 20 years of history of being some of the best games in history as well as being popular globally. Seriously Blizzard could put "Diablo 4 Now Available" on Battle.net Launcher and it would hit 5m in a week. Easy.
That's marketing.

Edit: it's kind of fucked since you're providing games where their primary access point is provided by their creators.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Not so sure about that. 5 million is a massive number for week one. Not doubting Diablo's chops, had it on my original list, but PC only releases do not shift those kinds of numbers in a week with advertising.