• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): trolling
Yassss kween pelosi telling it like it is omg so brave! Glad we could get someone like her to stand up for the Dems and show how it's done!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This headline is salacious and trying to make it seem like a dig at AOC, but she's not taking a dig at AOC, and she's right:

"When we won this election, it wasn't in districts like mine or Alexandria's. And she's a wonderful member of Congress, I think all of our colleagues will attest," Pelosi, a California Democrat, told an audience Monday night at a London School of Economics event during a U.K. visit.

"But those are districts that are solidly Democratic. This glass of water would win with a D next to its name in those districts," she said, picking up the water at her table.

It's also why you generally have more progressive Democrats in the House than Senate, or at least, a greater variety of ideological representation in the House than in the senate. And especially in senate leadership (though that also has to do with the historical trend/theme of major national senate Democrats often running for president).

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Didn't she beat a member of the Dem Caucus who had basically the whole of the Democratic Party behind him?

Edit: Ah. I get what she's saying. Still don't like it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Bless AOC for continuing to be one of the few democrats with balls.

The party would be doing a lot better if they had more like her.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is great. So sassy, so smarmy. Show me the lie.

"Literally anyone with the right platform can win"

I appreciate her taking the platform away from celebrity worship and personality cult staging and putting it back on the actual execution.

AOC being popular because she has Twitter hot takes doesn't mean anything in the long run. I appreciate her sticking up for herself and giving detractors a taste of their own medicine, but the platform is why you vote for her in the end.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really should have chosen her words more wisely if she didn't want to open herself up to those attacks.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are easily manipulated by clickbait journalism. That's not a controversial statement, nor is it a dig in context.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Yassss kween pelosi telling it like it is omg so brave! Glad we could get someone like her to stand up for the Dems and show how it's done!
AOC was going to be swimming uphill sooner than later. This is much sooner than I expected though.
So you didn't read, huh.

She also says that about her own district.

She's talking about safe seats, not insulting anyone.

Glasses of water could win her and AOC's districts.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
"But our message, our progressive message, is down the middle."

Pelosi said a strongly left-wing message such as that of Ocasio Cortez "works great in my district, I get over 80 percent in my district, these folks do as well, but that's not where we have to win the election."

This is the part people should be taking issue with, not the glass of water comment. She's, once again, peddling the same ol' bulshit that Dems need to tread down the middle instead of going further progressive/left. Yes, because that's worked out so wonderfully these past few years.

Fuck off.

Full quote is fine. She ain't wrong.

She is.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get too mad about that when she admitted that her district is the same.

Her insistence that she is a progressive? That continues to be utter horseshit.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
People are pointing out that she's not wrong but her overall point is that the democrats need more spineless centrists so it's still a shitty take

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I don't know folks. I mean, it looks harmless if you put it in context, but I think AOC should talk to Pelosi. You know, so AOC can call her in before she calls her out.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, this is literally the reason a lot of people were cool with running AOC in the first place. Literally anyone with a D by their name could win it, so why not the actual leftmost candidate?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
lol, completely obvious conclusion. Same with blood red districts. We've literally had dead people elected before.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I definitely get her point. Just the realities of the electorate in the vast majority of the middle of the country. And like it or not, they don't match Pelsoi or AOC's districts.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you didn't read, huh.

She also says that about her own district.

She's talking about safe seats, not insulting anyone.

Glasses of water could win her and AOC's districts.
Rather than talking about safe seats it seems poignant to dismiss AOC as a run of the mill incumbent. Along with the previous messaging about the 'dissident left', I've got my timer on.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Edit: upon reflection, picking apart words like this probably isn't productive.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Pelosi is right, but she's also kinda burying the lede wrt AOC since her big victory was against Crowley, not in the general.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AOC shows more concern for middle America's problems than middle America politicians do, including Dems and Repubs on both sides of the aisle.

AOC herself and the energy she leveraged to take her seat from Crowley might be "super left", if you've lived in the center all your life, but her actual words and policy stances once in Congress are pretty much universal, and long overdue, something Pelosi doesn't realize or chooses to ignore.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
This is the part people should be taking issue with, not the glass of water comment. She's, once again, peddling the same ol' bulshit that Dems need to tread down the middle instead of going further progressive/left. Yes, because that's worked out so wonderfully these past few years.

Fuck off.

She is.
You tailor your messaging to your most marginal districts. We have a majority thanks to people sitting in seats D+5 to R+5. They're the ones most likely to lose, so leadership has to protect them and try to keep their voters in the fold.

You can tailor your message to districts like AOC's or even Pelosi's... but then you only have 180-190 seats on this map.

I like winning and like having a majority. I like being able to keep Republicans from hurting women, PoC, and LGBT people. But that's just me.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
The "Pelosi slights the left wing of her party" articles sure are getting a lot of clicks recently.
Get angry at her. That's why she's saying these things. They're not going to vote for Republicans. They'll vote for progressives. Because they're mad at "moderate darling 7th most progressive congressperson" who talks like she's a moderate while being more liberal than most of us. She's playing people because they get mad about it and vote for progressives more than they otherwise would.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Seems like a good argument that you can float as far left a candidate as you want in some districts' primaries and they'll get in. Hmm.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
That's a shitty headline (and thread, really) meant to wind people up. The full quote and context is fine.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
But why even make the statement? What's she trying to say "Neither of our voices mean anything"?

Maybe she could focus on how AOC is a new type of politician, and could be emblematic of the changing face of the party.
Because she lives in a little thing called reality, where it's going to take more than those types of seats to stop the Right from having a monopoly in certain parts of the country.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
love how, with extraordinarily rare exceptions, calls for "party unity" are only ever invoked to silence criticism of the Democratic establishment from the left, and not the reverse. funny how that works

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The full quote reinforces that pelosi is a spineless centrist and wants more spineless centrists so no, it's not fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And her point is that you can't maintain control of the House while aiming left. So what's it to be?
A lot of the policies being put forth by politicians like AOC are very popular, but from Pelosi's perspective, those policies are too progressive to shoot for. I think Democrats would be fine being further left than it currently is.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
The whole framing is still put in place as to downplay AOC's pressence.
Yep, she's pretty dissmisive of the left and wants them to come to the center.
"There is only 5 of them"

Sad part is she still has stans here.

Corrupt and attached to the status quo, like other establishment dems such as Schumer.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The full quote reinforces that pelosi is a spineless centrist and wants more spineless centrists so no, it's not fine.

The title should be "ramblin pelosi shitting all over the future of the democratic party again." The title is clickbaity, hopefully the next time she opens her mouth, and shits out of it, the title can be appropriate so folks wont get bogged down arguing nonsense.