• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
She actually said she was clapping for real and was surprised why people made a big deal out of it on social media.
People see what they want to see.
She only clapped, even if it had been sarcastic, how is that a clap back?
The hell is wrong with people these days? Settling for small platitudes and snide remarks rather than demanding proper action from their representatives.
The "clap back" shit was annoying af, it was non-existent.
(sorry for the rant)

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have evidence of this? As other people have said, most of the money we're talking about appears to have been allocated to completely different departments within the government.
Departments, yes, but use, not so much. And those departments coordinate with one another, and are currently executors of the intended cruel policy that Trump is directing.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017

Glad she's fighting back.

Also what the hell is going on, why is AOC being sued?

For blocking people on Twitter, she can't do it for the same reason Trump can't.

Most it will lead to is what would have to be an unenforceable injunction.

Any of you guys gonna still defend that bill?

Which, the border bill? I've been defending it; the mother jones piece isn't really related to it.

It's more related to the DHS funding bill from February. I think AOC is the only one of those four who consistently voted against that, but I'd have to go look at the record to be sure.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is fucking ridiculous. I get people are angry about the camps and feel like they're losing, they are. I get that people are mad that Pelosi threw their darlings under the bus, she did. What's insane are the fucking mental gymnastics on display here.

The only take in this thread worth a shit is by the very few who want nothing passed and wanted to rely on accelerationism to try and change public opinion and force the camps closed. It's a dangerous gambit that'd probably cost a lot of lives and further scar a lot of people already detained but at least it's logically fucking consistent. But anyone who would have been ok with the bill that AOC wanted passed but is jumping down everyone's throats for accepting the bill Pelosi ultimately passed, that's fucking silly. Because everything happening now would have happened under AOC and the rest of the squads' preferred bill. What would your reactions in this thread be in the alternate reality their bill passed and the Senate was the one who caved? "God damnit AOC, you never should have trusted these fuckers?" Fucking Progressives, more like regressives am I right, really just a bunch of centrist scum?" What would you guys be fucking doing right now? Honestly? It's a cult of personality not unlike Trump's where your entire perception of events are colored just by the nature of which team won, since their bill failed all of this is because their bill failed in your eyes when in reality this was all happening regardless and every one of the takes in here about moderate scum funding camps and shit would still 100% apply even in the situation that the Justice Democrats' bill was the one to pass.

Oct 25, 2017

Glad she's fighting back.

Also what the hell is going on, why is AOC being sued?

The replies under that tweet has me seething.
"How dare they do their best to make people more comfortable while they wait for processing! MONSTERS."
I can't even articulate the words for these fucking pricks, I'm fucking done. They cannot be this stupid, they can't.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The far right's success in the republican party should be the model for the left takeover of the Democratic party. Nancy is a status quo person like most leadership. Status quo has given us trump and the current supreme Court. Appeasement doesn't work with this republican party. They don't compromise on anything meaningful.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fucking ridiculous. I get people are angry about the camps and feel like they're losing, they are. I get that people are mad that Pelosi threw their darlings under the bus, she did. What's insane are the fucking mental gymnastics on display here.

The only take in this thread worth a shit is by the very few who want nothing passed and wanted to rely on accelerationism to try and change public opinion and force the camps closed. It's a dangerous gambit that'd probably cost a lot of lives and further scar a lot of people already detained but at least it's logically fucking consistent. But anyone who would have been ok with the bill that AOC wanted passed but is jumping down everyone's throats for accepting the bill Pelosi ultimately passed, that's fucking silly. Because everything happening now would have happened under AOC and the rest of the squads' preferred bill. What would your reactions in this thread be in the alternate reality their bill passed and the Senate was the one who caved? "God damnit AOC, you never should have trusted these fuckers?" Fucking Progressives, more like regressives am I right, really just a bunch of centrist scum?" What would you guys be fucking doing right now? Honestly? It's a cult of personality not unlike Trump's where your entire perception of events are colored just by the nature of which team won, since their bill failed all of this is because their bill failed in your eyes when in reality this was all happening regardless and every one of the takes in here about moderate scum funding camps and shit would still 100% apply even in the situation that the Justice Democrats' bill was the one to pass.

Yes it's clearly a cult of personality. We all just worship the ground AOC steps on. Clearly that's the real reason why we're angry and not because of any other reasons! /s

Oct 27, 2017

Yikes... This is a take.
tenor.gif

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

*add "internment" or "concentration' to the camps of your post + Quote people you're paragraphing to, please.

Oct 27, 2017
The take is that AOC's bill would result in the exact same thing and therefore we are being hypocrites because we would not attack AOC as much. And again the idea that we secretly want the children dying because we want accelerationism.
They're not even arguing in good faith or, in my opinion, with any sincerity. Either they're stirring the pot, or they're supporters of this shit.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
The take is that AOC's bill would result in the exact same thing and therefore we are being hypocrites because we would not attack AOC as much. And again the idea that we secretly want the children dying because we want accelerationism.
I'm just glad that people have been visiting the accelerationist wikipedia page after they saw some dipshit making a comeback on social media with it.

Do Atavism next. That one is harder because it can mean two things.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
They're not even arguing in good faith or, in my opinion, with any sincerity. Either they're stirring the pot, or they're supporters of this shit.

their post history illustrates they're arguing in good faith imo, in this thread. Its frustrating everyone because there are concentration camps running/being opened while people debate the funding. That whole thing misses the issue really. Lets take a step back. Its a sad state of things. Folks are upset about dead children and a party that is going total fascist.

Meanwhile, leadership....

dot dot dot.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

And... He'd be right. She'd be torn apart if something similar happened under her watch.

Congress appropriated the funds, and the department to which these funds are being sent are misappropriating them. The Executive branch is letting it happen.

That's not on Congress, is it?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"You're all just mad your side didnt win over the issue of-"

*Checks notes

"Literal concentration camps"

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You realize intentions matter to constituents as well, right? If there was a scenario where the house democrats shot down the Schumer/McConnell bill in which the administration still opened sites, people certainly wouldn't be arguing about the House's role in the matter.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And... He'd be right. She'd be torn apart if something similar happened under her watch.

Congress appropriated the funds, and the department to which these funds are being sent are misappropriating them. The Executive branch is letting it happen.

Intent matters. The fact of the matter out of the two, only one actually went to the concentration camps to expose the horrors of the concentration camps while the other barely lifted a finger of protest.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Anything less then putting forth the maximum amount of effort to oppose this is ignominious behavior from people we voted in to do their best to stop this. Otherwise what's the fucking point.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Intent matters. The fact of the matter out of the two, only one actually went to the concentration camps to expose the horrors of the concentration camps while the other barely lifted a finger of protest.

Yes, Nancy has been nothing but a disappointment since taking back the Speakership... No arguments from me.

But the question still remains: How can this be stopped? ICE just gave a gigantic 'fuck you' to the constitution and we're sitting here bickering about whether or not Nancy should have gone out to see one of these camps.

I would rather she spend some energy on trying to ensure that the Congress isn't a step stool for the POTUS.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Intent AND messaging matter. If you're being forced to dole out extortion money by terrorists, you make it loud and clear what's happening every day.

But as this abuse is going on, Pelosi seems more interested in resting on her ass while punching down at her own party than actually getting out there and sounding the 5 alarm fire to the public that literally none of what has happened these last several years is anything close to OK or anything close to being resolved, money or not.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Intent AND messaging matter. If you're being forced to dole out extortion money by terrorists, you make it loud and clear what's happening every day.

But as this abuse is going on, Pelosi seems more interested in resting on her ass while punching down at her own party than actually getting out there and sounding the 5 alarm fire to the public that literally none of what has happened these last several years is anything close to OK or anything close to being resolved, money or not.
Exactly.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Nancy has been nothing but a disappointment since taking back the Speakership... No arguments from me.

But the question still remains: How can this be stopped? ICE just gave a gigantic 'fuck you' to the constitution and we're sitting here bickering about whether or not Nancy should have gone out to see one of these camps.

I would rather she spend some energy on trying to ensure that the Congress isn't a step stool for the POTUS.

How do you know we're not doing anything? There's nothing we can do on this forum other than talk about our disappointment.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything less then putting forth the maximum amount of effort to oppose this is ignominious behavior from people we voted in to do their best to stop this. Otherwise what's the fucking point.

Pelosi has shown more effort fending off AOC and Tlaib than she has trying to stop Trump.

Why can't she be that engaged when it comes to impeachment and stopping Trump in general?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

at least have the guts to post dumb shit like this on your main account

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No were bickering that shes not doing ANYTHING to oppose an expose this while literally attacking the people who are.

Pelosi has shown more effort fending off AOC and Tlaib than she has trying to stop Trump.

Why can't she be that engaged when it comes to impeachment and stopping Trump in general?
Yep. I posted this exact thing a page or two ago. It would be nice to get half the effort she puts on taking down AOC on the issues that actually matter.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How do you know we're not doing anything? There's nothing we can do on this forum other than talk about our disappointment.

I mean the collective 'we'... The House Democrats.

Lest we forget, most of the country doesn't give a shit about this crisis at all. Republicans are ecstatic, and this is probably Trump's wet dream.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If only the dems had some sort of oversight capability when they took a majority in the House

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

The actual solution is to not have Republicans in power in the first place.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If only the dems had some sort of oversight capability when they took a majority in the House
It's getting to the point where the ACA could start being dismantled by this administration, which was the driving force behind 2018 turnout, and the house would collectively shrug at this point. Messaging somehow isn't important, and oversight isn't needed, because they "self-impeach" daily.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Departments, yes, but use, not so much. And those departments coordinate with one another, and are currently executors of the intended cruel policy that Trump is directing.

I understand that they coordinate in some ways, but the way that's being described by people is kinda incredulous. People are basucally saying that wording in bills doesn't matter, that money just gets taken by these departments and they do whatever they want including dividing the money amongst themselves however the president wants, which seems incredibly broken to me. And maybe it is broken in this specific way, but then shouldn't there be examples of this in the past? I just don't know if it works in that way. Open to being shown if I'm wrong or missing something.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They do. They hold hearings. They send subpeonas. They hold people in contempt.

Annnddd.... No response. Now what? Do they have an army I'm not aware of?
Impeachment. Start it. Its not going to be so easy to ignore this stuff when its publicly being shouted that these individuals are under impeachment investigation.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Checks and balances. A fucking unfunny joke.

This is my larger point... That the system is fucking corrupt and completely breakable if the POTUS (and to a lesser extent, a complicit Congress) deem it so.

That's fucking bonkers to me. There is no separation of powers if one branch can just summarily fucking ignore not only the legislative branch, but the judicial branch as well.

Impeachment. Start it. Its not going to be so easy to ignore this stuff when its publicly being shouted that these individuals are under impeachment investigation.

No argument from me! I hope that Mueller gives us something to work with next week.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

This is true. All of it.

She cant stop the man. But she sure as hell can lead an effort to fight fascism. Its the fight that isnt even attempted.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They do. They hold hearings. They send subpeonas. They hold people in contempt.

Annnddd.... No response. Now what? Do they have an army I'm not aware of?
You're going to have to run me by the contempt votes. I thought they kept delaying them in favor for extensions on deadlines (or just didn't bother following up).

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that they coordinate in some ways, but the way that's being described by people is kinda incredulous. People are basucally saying that wording in bills doesn't matter, that money just gets taken by these departments and they do whatever they want including dividing the money amongst themselves however the president wants, which seems incredibly broken to me. And maybe it is broken in this specific way, but then shouldn't there be examples of this in the past? I just don't know if it works in that way. Open to being shown if I'm wrong or missing something.

Well, we're all about to find to late to do anything about it so there's that if it comforts you.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're going to have to run me by the contempt votes. I thought they kept delaying them in favor for extensions on deadlines (or just didn't bother following up).

Congress voted to find Barr in contempt.

They can go to court for follow up, apparently, which they still might... But it's largely seen as a waste of time.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
William Barr.

And more coming:

And they'll just ignore it. Because apparently you can just do that.
Even here, they're describing what they're going to do. I dont know if dems have actually held anyone in contempt yet (which is why I asked) or what it would look like when they do.

Of course im aware of the hearings and subpoenas. But it just seems like none of this matters. I thought congress had much stronger oversight powers than this.