• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Pelosi is really making her mark after the dem win in the house. I always wondered if the hate she receives is justified. I hope she really does listen to the younger/ more passionate dems to her left. It's still underwhelming that we could not get both the house and the senate.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi is really making her mark after the dem win in the house. I always wondered if the hate she receives is justified. I hope she really does listen to the younger/ more passionate dems to her left. It's still underwhelming that we could not get both the house and the senate.
(It's not, and Autodidact's point about Fox News propaganda is the reason she receives so much.)

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
And you think McConnell refusing to take up a spending bill to stop a shutdown will hurt Pelosi and the Dems?

When her bill will sail out of the House? And the public do not want a shutdown for a policy debate?

What does it matter if her bill sails out of the House? Of course it will, it's a Democratic majority.

You guys keep going on about the public, like it matters. The fickle "public" that overwhelmingly elects Democrats in one election, then Republicans in another, then Democrats again? The Republicans don't care about the mythical public; they care about exercising what power they have at the moment, feeding red meat to their electorate, and doing what they can to lay the groundwork to undermine Pelosi and the House while getting whatever concessions they can.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No it's noooooooooooot

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
What does it matter if her bill sails out of the House? Of course it will, it's a Democratic majority.

You guys keep going on about the public, like it matters. The fickle "public" that overwhelmingly elects Democrats in one election, then Republicans in another, then Democrats again? The Republicans don't care about the mythical public; they care about exercising what power they have at the moment, feeding red meat to their electorate, and doing what they can to lay the groundwork to undermine Pelosi and the House while getting whatever concessions they can.

So you believe the public will side with the GOP for keeping the shutdown open?

And you believe the public supports shutting the government down to get specific policy?

Oct 29, 2017
Space

What concessions did the Dems need to give? They have all the power here. You're rambling.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi is really making her mark after the dem win in the house.
I mean, I think she already made her mark by being Speaker once before and presiding over the most productive House since the Great Society.

Now we're fortunate enough to get a repeat. The next Democratic president needs her for the first two years. In fact, the plans seems to be that she'll stay until 2022 so she can help Beto/Bernard/Kamala/whothefuckever in his or her first two years and then retire at that first midterm.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Some of you can spin any situation as a loss for the dems. They're perpetually fucked.

It won't be a loss for the Dems. Everyone knows that some kind of CR will be passed eventually. The point for the Republicans is to obstruct, deflect, and put in as many road bumps as possible to extract concessions, as well as using it as a propaganda opportunity that'll continue through the next two years to fire up their base and keep the donations flowing in.

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
Well the big change will be that they won't have the coward Ryan there to not put the senate bill on the table where it would've passed overwhelmingly.

Just keep putting it on the President's desk to show they're doing their job. Nobody outside of the 5% of rally morons and talk show hacks think the wall actually does something productive.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be a loss for the Dems. Everyone knows that some kind of CR will be passed eventually. The point for the Republicans is to obstruct, deflect, and put in as many road bumps as possible to extract concessions, as well as using it as a propaganda opportunity that'll continue through the next two years to fire up their base and keep the donations flowing in.
What concessions? We have a GOP Senator on record as supporting sending Nancy the bill they already passed.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This doesn't make any sense. Democrats are not going to concede when they have the literal trump card in being able to pass a simple budget to re-open the government.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I mean, I think she already made her mark by being Speaker once before and presiding over the most productive House since the Great Society.

Now we're fortunate enough to get a repeat. The next Democratic president needs her for the first two years. In fact, the plans seems to be that she'll stay until 2022 so she can help Beto/Bernard/Kamala/whothefuckever in his or her first two years and then retire at that first midterm.
making her mark as opposed to just becoming complacent is what I meant.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't know what to tell you. having the senate will always be better than not having it. if it's not a question of opinion, then lmk why you think it's not.
He objected to your calling the election results underwhelming, not to the very true sentiment that we need the Senate.

We won most of the Senate seats on the map. We just held most of them already.

The ones we lost were in deeply red territory where our incumbents got screwed by a nationalized election and urban/rural polarization. We weren't keeping ND/MO/IN forever. I'll grant that FL was a disappointment because it was eminently winnable. We lost because of an incumbent's poor Hispanic outreach and a stupid ballot design in a Democratic county.

But overall, it wasn't underwhelming.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So you believe the public will side with the GOP for keeping the shutdown open?

And you believe the public supports shutting the government down to get specific policy?

Again, why would the Republicans care about the "public"?
This doesn't make any sense. Democrats are not going to concede when they have the literal trump card in being able to pass a simple budget to re-open the government.

If you think the Republicans are playing the same game, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I guess I'll wait for the eventual thread in a couple of weeks when McConnell and the Republicans shockingly don't pass the House bill that gets sent up to them and everyone does the usual angry reaction bit, like it wasn't obvious from a mile away.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would they?
They control the House
They have no incentive to cave and it's been proven that standing up to Trump is wildly popular with voters.
dont pay attention to the democratic party much huh? They're all about compromising. You're mistaking them for Republicans. Dems are going to cave.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Let them keep doing what they like in regard to their base. Who gives a shit? Their base was never up for grabs and it isn't needed. We just took forty seats which was clearly a repudiation of the current events and your big enlightened opinion is that republicans are going to continue to pander to their base. A base which will most likely be in a lesser position to donate much of anything after trump is done with the economy and moderates (hated though they are) don't see to be happy about trump's behavior.

I just don't get folks like you. Y'all were naysaying when the GOP got stumped in VA in 2017, doom and glooming up until 2018 midterms and here we still go. When we take full control of VA in 2019, I'm sure it'll be the same damn thing. It's never enough. I'm a staunch advocate of realistic expectations, but pessimism for pessimism's sake isn't that. Last I'll say on the matter because it gets old fast.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If you think the Republicans are playing the same game, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I guess I'll wait for the eventual thread in a couple of weeks when McConnell and the Republicans shockingly don't pass the House bill that gets sent up to them and everyone does the usual angry reaction bit, like it wasn't obvious from a mile away.

You're not explaining why Democrats have to cede anything.

You're entire thesis is based on a poor understanding of who actually holds the power here

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not explaining why Democrats have to cede anything.

You're entire thesis is based on a poor understanding of who actually holds the power here
(If you won't compromise and take your ball and go home, you are conceding power to literally everyone else and weakening your own position, something Trump, the Freedom Caucus, and some on the Far Left fail to grasp.)

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread reacting to the GOP losing 40 seats and not being able to deal with Trump not wanting a spending bill without his pointy wall

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any bill sent to the President that the President vetoes, that veto can be overridden and the bill becomes law, what is required is a veto override vote that has a two-thirds majority in both chambers of Congress: https://www.senate.gov/reference/glossary_term/override_of_a_veto.htm

What are the chances that the bill that the Senate passed unanimously will then fail to get any Republicans votes when it comes to an override? Or does that means it was already "veto-proofed?" Is the veto override built in or a revote?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you for real? Why do you think the GOP still supports Trump as much as they do? Because their core base fervently demands it over anything else.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's uncanny how much people ostensibly on the left absorb the media's 24/7 "Dems in disarray!!!" narrative.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Are you for real? Why do you think the GOP still supports Trump as much as they do? Because their core base fervently demands it over anything else.

My post was in response about the "public" not their core base.

The same core base just started a GoFundMe that brought in over $7 million for the wall? You dont think that didn't catch their notice? The same core base that doesn't mind if the government's shut down?

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Because the "public" hates them and their president, just delivered them one of the worst midterm losses for a party in power in history, and their president is on fucking tape claiming responsibility for the shutdown?

Really?

10 years ago the Democrats held a supermajority in the Senate. Now you're kinda hoping you might be able to win a slim majority in 2020.

Because the public.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
What incentive do dems have to compromise before jan 3rd anyways?

ZERO

No need to compromise at all.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the suspition that we'll be saying that sentence a few more times for the next two years and thats really sad.
This is why Schumer's been less annoying since the election. None of his caucusmembers are endangered in the next 4 years outside of Doug Jones, who we're expecting to lose anyway.

2020 said:
599px-United_States_Senate_elections%2C_2020.svg.png
2022 said:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
If Trump has half a brain, and that is certainly debatable, he gets this dealt with quickly. He can save face now or let the democrats claim victory in January.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So you think the GOP have the advantage in keeping the government Shutdown?

They have an advantage for awhile, because during this last round, their base showed that the wall is something that they're energized about, and the ferver of it I think may have taken them by surprise.

So what they'll do now is show that they're fighting the Democrats and trying to get that wall funded, and they'll use every tactic at their disposal to show they're putting up a good fight.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see how this shakes out before we use this as a counter point. Right now it's nothing but words.
I mean, we could use her record of achievement as Speaker - you know, passing more legislation since LBJ and seldom losing votes - and her ability to extract concessions from Republicans even in the minority to judge what might happen.

But let's wait.