• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Best part is there is nothing that can be done by the Senate. It's literally in the constitution- House controls the impeachment process until they send it to the Senate.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree with this strategy Pelosi announced.

The strategy announced way in advance by McConnell and Graham of working fully with the White House, when it was first announced, I thought "This is a major fuckup, both are admitting the trial will not be fair and impartial which is unconstitutional to me because all trials must be fair and impartial. This strategy will backfire." And here we are, Pelosi wants the Senate trial to be fair and impartial and rightfully so. Since she has the power to do so, she has exercised her power to withhold the Articles of Impeachment from the Senate until she can be fully comfortable that the Senate trial will be fair and impartial.

I hope Pelosi stands firm on this and keeps up demand for the Senate trial to be fair and impartial.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Best part is there is nothing that can be done by the Senate. It's literally in the constitution- House controls the impeachment process until they send it to the Senate.

Yep. Not the senate or scotus or president can touch this and any move would be slapped down as an over reach of powers against an equal branch.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree with this strategy Pelosi announced.

The strategy announced way in advance by McConnell and Graham of working fully with the White House, when it was first announced, I thought "This is a major fuckup, both are admitting the trial will not be fair and impartial which is unconstitutional to me because all trials must be fair and impartial. This strategy will backfire." And here we are, Pelosi wants the Senate trial to be fair and impartial and rightfully so. Since she has the power to do so, she has exercised her power to withhold the Articles of Impeachment from the Senate until she can be fully comfortable that the Senate trial will be fair and impartial.

I hope Pelosi stands firm on this and keeps up demand for the Senate trial to be fair and impartial.

Wouldn't the Senate just toss it aside once they receive it anyway, or are they forced to acknowledge it in some capacity? I guess I'm not clear on the benefit that holding on to it accomplishes. Wouldn't the Senate prefer they never touch it to begin with?

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Kudos to Pelosi, I'm curious to anybody more knowledgeable than I: can the Supreme Court step in at all if there was evidence at coordination between GOP and Trump when GOP are supposed to be as equally impartial as any other party in the process?

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the Senate just toss it aside once they receive it anyway, or are they forced to acknowledge it in some capacity? I guess I'm not clear on the benefit that holding on to it accomplishes. Wouldn't the Senate prefer they never touch it to begin with?

Constitutionally, the Senate is required to conduct a trial to convict or acquit.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
?

Am I crazy to be pretty sure the response to this by the public will be, "Well, does he deserve to be impeached or not? You spent 3 months arguing yes and now you refuse to do it?"

I've learned since 2016 that about 2/3rds of Americans don't understand nuance and logic and rules.

It's clear you don't understand that DJT has already been impeached.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Credit where due, this is excellent.

I hope there's zero rush to negotiate and instead efforts are tripled on further investigation to toss onto this shit pile.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
McConnell and Graham totally fucked up by announcing their strategy very early of being in complete cooperation with the White House.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
He wants a first vote on the basic rules and then a vote on the witnesses later, like during Clinton's trial. Obviously Pelosi has absolutely no reason to accept this.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
is she doing this in case he gets reelected and maybe hopefully theres a dem majority in the Senate by then to impeach his ass?

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
is she doing this in case he gets reelected and maybe hopefully theres a dem majority in the Senate by then to impeach his ass?

There's no scenario where a Dem majority would also equal a Trump reelection. He's not nearly popular enough with progressive & independent voters for that sort of scenario to play out.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Yep, they did. It was an unforced error and Pelosi is capitalizing on it.

Which is odd for Mitch.

As much as I hate the stunted slimeball, he's good at playing the Washington game (now I'm going to choke back the vomit for having to give that wretched piece of shit a compliment).

Usually don't see him make a gaff like this (and I'm loving every minute of it).

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Which is odd for Mitch.

As much as I hate the stunted slimeball, he's good at playing the Washington game (now I'm going to choke back the vomit for having to give that wretched piece of shit a compliment).

Usually don't see him make a gaff like this (and I'm loving every minute of it).

I blame Fox. Everyone has to go on there eventually and kiss the ring. Even Gorsuch was on this week complaining about liberals.

The Fox & Friends crowd ain't trying to hear no nonsense about fair trials and exculpatory evidence and bipartisanship, those blurbs are for the NYT.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm so goddamn sick of that turtle cockblocking any bill so it's nice to see him getting a taste of his own medicine.

And fuck Lindsey "Huckleberry Hound" Graham too.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Very smart move by Pelosi. Just hang that over their heads until the 2020 elections.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Lindsey Graham today:

"I didn't take this job to listen to testimony."
"Sir you're the head of Senate Judiciary."
"The what on the what now?"

I find this infuriating, not because Graham is being Graham but because he said he is going to make his decision based on the "trial record established in the house". There is no fucking trial record because that is what happens in the Senate

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I personally don't think the general public will feel like many do in here about this action.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Forcing Graham to recuse as leader of the judiciary during the trial is probably the minimum they should ask for at this point lol. He is outed himself as someone who has no intention of making a fair trial, so he can't lead the trial anymore.
I wouldn't trust Graham to stay recused after the way he's debased himself.

May 21, 2018
Which is odd for Mitch.

I like to believe that prolonged exposure to Donald has degraded his and every other Republicans' intelligence.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forcing Graham to recuse as leader of the judiciary during the trial is probably the minimum they should ask for at this point lol. He is outed himself as someone who has no intention of making a fair trial, so he can't lead the trial anymore.

The trial doesn't take place before the judiciary committee so does he actually have any individual power? I understand the majority can do whatever they want and any Senator can force a vote on any decision (ie calling witnesses), but I mean him individually? The presiding officer is Roberts

I guess my question is, what difference would it make if he recused himself? What would that even entail here?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
With this move likely being a good tool to tie up Bernie and Warren, could they maybe use technology to campaign and hold rallies. It'll be impersonal, and a bit awkward at first, but what's the difference. They get to be at many places at once while taking care of their obligations in D.C.. If it works out, it could probably be used a lot more.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I personally don't think the general public will feel like many do in here about this action.

Yes unfortunately I feel this way as well :(. As of right now I'm treating the whole thing as neutral, I haven't seen it really impact trumps polling numbers positively or negatively. Just hoping whoever comes out of the primary can hold their own and put together a great campaign.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

When you got Lindsey Graham saying he won't be an impartial juror and McConnell saying he's already coordinating a defense/acquittal strategy with the White House, there is no fair trial possible.

Let it hang there until a new Senate is seated or Trump leaves office due to term limits or election loss.

Pelosi should ban Trump from the SotU as long as she's Speaker.

Oct 27, 2017
Nancy Pelosi is the target of a lot of unwarranted flack and personal evisceration she really doesn't deserve here pretty regularly.

She certainly isn't without her faults but she constantly shows herself to be a shrewd and intelligent political foil to house Republicans, senate Republicans and Trump.

Hope she holds onto the articles of Impeachment indefinitely.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do the right thing, worry about the public later

That's basically the definition of leadership. Accusing politicians of triangulating their decisions based on public opinion was an insult not long ago

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
No, she's doing this so Mcconell isnt able to quickly brush away the impeachment with a quick senate acquittal. He's already been impeached and theres no scenario where dems score a 67 Senate majority in 2020 let alone one where they do that and lose the presidency.

With the decision in Pelosi's hands, the trial hangs over Trumps head till Pelosi pulls the trigger. Preventing him from claiming exoneration and enacting new blatant schemes to rig the 2020 election unless he wants them added to the articles of impeachment and his senate trial.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Do the right thing, worry about the public later

That's basically the definition of leadership. Accusing politicians of triangulating their decisions based on public opinion was an insult not long ago

That makes sense I guess, but right now it seems like the top priority by far is winning 2020.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
She got under his skin, great job:

Orange dipshit:
So after the Democrats gave me no Due Process in the House, no lawyers, no witnesses, no nothing, they now want to tell the Senate how to run their trial. Actually, they have zero proof of anything, they will never even show up. They want out. I want an immediate trial!

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Then the impeachment didn't happen.

Let it die in the senate, what's the problem?
How with tons of information available about the process, do you draw that conclusion?

The impeachment has already happened. It's forever in history now. The Senate has openly declared that they will hold a sham trial. She is holding things up to use whatever levers she has to help force a legit trial.

What are you even talking about.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol ok. The operative thing here is the impeachment vote. Which has occurred and Trump has been charged. Just because it hasn't been delivered to the Senate doesn't mean the vote didn't happen.

It's an absurd argument. It's no surprise that the twitter thread is filled with MAGAs acting like they owned her lmao.
Not sending to senate is equivalent of dropping the case so it's not an absurd argument.

Republicans are never going to remove him so the logic of holding back is weird.