• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There's little to no evidence indicating this is Pelosis plan btw. Just this morning during the presser she stressed they're just waiting on the senate to determine the rules so they can decide who they send over to represent the house.
If that's what you think, I have a toll bridge in Manhattan I'm looking to sell on the cheap.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
I think it's a great move, but how do you see it ending? How long can she afford to wait?

My only hope is the "moderate" Republicans pushing for a semblance of a fair trial with some witnesses. Aside from that I don't see McConnell caving.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There's little to no evidence indicating this is Pelosis plan btw. Just this morning during the presser she stressed they're just waiting on the senate to determine the rules so they can decide who they send over to represent the house.
What? That is exactly what the plan is, then. Her wanting to get assurances as much as possible that the Senate will work within reasonable rules. Did we miss some senators openly stating they want this to be a sham and they have no intentions to be impartial and fair jurors?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So what's Pelosi's angle then? They know they won't get anywhere near 2/3rds of a vote. If they stall I still say it looks bad PR wise.
To make the country aware that Senate Republicans have publicly stated that they don't intend on giving an actual trial, and instead say they will defend Trump no matter what.

The Republicans are flat out saying, we are not going to participate as a fair jury. We are acquitting Trump no matter what. We will act as Trump's defendants.

Why the fuck should she just hand over the articles of impeachment to them when it's CLEAR they have zero intentions of properly conducting a trial?

Republicans stole a fucking Supreme Court Justice from Obama by refusing to hear his nominee, and then waited until Trump was elected to put in who they wanted.

They can get FUCKED. I hope Pelosi drags this out and fucks with him until the end of Trump's presidency. They can seriously eat shit.

Oct 25, 2017
She's been playing the politics game a whole lot better than this forum has given her credit for.
More like she finally listened to the people in her ear this time.

EMHCSLQWoAAw0ZQ

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you try a case where no witnesses are allowed?

Would you try a case where without the recusal of a juror that literally said they have no intentions of being a fair juror?

It's that simple. No actual moderate or independent can answer in the positive to either question. You can debate how many such people exist are but they are vital in tilting the needle during elections.

It's not about what his base or supporters think or unthink. They are reactionary contrarians that understand this is their final chance to entrench white male supremacy before their regressive asses are literally bred out of existence. This isn't about them and never has been.

The creamy nougat of independent swing voters that made up tiny margins that shitbag won with are vital and because they are not literally republicans, they can be reasoned with. Defaulting to them being too stupid or unwilling to understand this situation is calling them republicans, which is they categorically aren't.

It will take time but the messaging is crystal clear.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's a smart, strong play for at least the short term for sure, with GOP Senate leadership flaunting how little they respect both the process and the Democrats ability to control the narrative against their bullshit. Hopefully it holds, just innuendo for now. Don't care if it gets ugly since the facts aren't going away and a fair trial is all they're asking for to proceed.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
If they didn't launch an impeachment investigation, then we would have had the president of Ukraine go onto CNN and say he's launching an investigation into Biden sometime in the past few months, and Ukraine would have had its aid held up for longer.

This impeachment was literally the only path forward for the Democrats once they learned of what was going on. Pelosi, as shown with the Mueller report, was extremely reluctant to do something like this. But now that the impeachment is in full-swing, they are at least putting forth the kind of effort that shows how serious they're taking all of this.

No one ever thinks about this, including the media. It's all a rush to go after the most deplorable pieces of shits, get them on camera, and have them spew nonsense. Then they project that nonsense onto the "average" american and how the country will revolt against impeachment, so they can further concern troll.

I think people like this think they come off as smart, but in reality they're myopic idiots. There's literally tens of millions of Americans who don't get considered here who would be just as mad if impeachment didn't happen that could've cost us major down the line. Not to mention Trump having free reign to continue his crimes. We saw how quickly he moved on Ukraine after Mueller testified.

Impeachment isn't a dangerous game. Not impeaching was always the most dangerous game, short term and especially in the intermediate and long term.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario:

Pelosi doesn't send the articles
Election time, Trump loses
Pelosi sends the articles
The entire Senate removes Trump in November because they got nothing to lose at that point

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Impeaching at all was a blunder.

It was never going to succeed to begin with and when it inevitably fails Trump just has more ammo about how he has been the target of a witch-hunt since Day 1.

See everyone in 2024.
You lack perspective. Your cynicism and smarminess aren't doing you any favors either.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
guys, everything that happens is GOOD for Trump!!
Seriously, it's hard to think of a single topic on negative Trump news where this Galaxy Brain thinking doesn't apply.

"Hey they just announced Trump croaked"

"... What you don't understand is how much the sympathy vote is going to help get his corpse re-elected in 2020."

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Best case scenario:

The entire Senate removes Trump in November because they got nothing to lose at that point
Lmao that he like an .01 percent chance of happening.

Republicans are the party of Trump now. Have you followed any of the impeachment proceedings? They have gone full on fascist and will protect Dear Leader no matter what.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao that he like an .01 percent chance of happening.

Republicans are the party of Trump now. Have you followed any of the impeachment proceedings? They have gone full on fascist and will protect Dear Leader no matter what.
They'll stop protecting Trump the moment it's no longer politically convenient for them to do so. Him losing the election would be an indication of that.

But yes, it's unlikely to happen.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Impeaching at all was a blunder.

It was never going to succeed to begin with and when it inevitably fails Trump just has more ammo about how he has been the target of a witch-hunt since Day 1.

See everyone in 2024.
Alternatively you could just let him be president crimes and do nothing and he can proclaim loudly that dems never tried impeaching him.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Beyond obvious they were trying to bait Dems, who absolutely would love a thorough and informational trial. Maybe some of them are realizing the Lucy and football analogy.
A lengthy trial would be a net positive for the world because Mitch wouldn't be able to push through justices while impeachment is happening even if it comes at the cost of Warren and Sanders not being able to push the stump in their election campaigns.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
The biggest weapon Democrats seem to have with this strategy is Trump isn't going to be able to keep his mouth shut if he isn't "exonerated" by a republican senate. He might just boil over.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they're already backtracking from their "we want a lengthy trial" nonsense.

Beyond obvious they were trying to bait Dems, who absolutely would love a thorough and informational trial. Maybe some of them are realizing the Lucy and football analogy.

That's probably not directly related though and has more to do with Mitch McConnell not letting a vote on the USMCA trade deal happen until impeachment is over in the Senate, specifically to try and get Trump to favor a short trial, which is what Mitch wants and why he's delaying the vote until then as leverage over Trump to get him on board his preferred strategy.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
If House Dems ________________ it would be a breathtaking violation of the Constitution, an act of political cowardice, and fundamentally unfair to President @realdonaldTrump.

White House to GOP Congress: "Ok kids, complete this sentence on your worksheet for your grade today."

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This isn't a positive for Trump, but I don't think it's much of a negative. With the whole thing being split on partisan lines, I suspect independent voters are just going to check out and treat the whole thing like television.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time that I feel Democrats are using Republican tactics and it's amazing.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Given that the WH is already freaking out about this, seems like it was a decent bluff.

At the very least, they should get it in writing that the Senate is going to have a formal trial with *at least* the ability to speak to the same witnesses as the House trial. Just publicly state that they can't expect everyone to vote for removal, but they can expect everyone to listen to testimony because it's their jobs. Mitch and LIndsey trying to go all constitutional scholar this week after having nothing but jokes the last two weeks is pretty reich rich.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
This is the first time that I feel Democrats are using Republican tactics and it's amazing.
I think this is the heart of people's hesitation to these kinds of tactics. I think there are still a lot of people on the left that have tried to maintain a semblance of morality throughout these proceedings. GOP have left little recourse other than to play their game, and I think for some that's a new feeling. I am coming around to it after seeing then squirm.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Genius.

Love them taking out a page form the GOP fuckery playbook, like not allowing on the floor Obama's SC pick.

Ya hate to see

stew

Dec 2, 2017
I don't get it, I thought they all wanted a fast trial. Pelosi because of the primary. Trump and McConnell because they don't want a real trial. This why I said that Pelosi isn't in a position of strength.

From what I understand now it's a lot more complicated. If she's ready to wait longer it changes everything.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I don't get it, I thought they all wanted a fast trial. Pelosi because of the primary. Trump and McConnell because they don't want a real trial. This why I said that Pelosi isn't in a position of strength.

From what I understand now it's a lot more complicated. If she's ready to wait longer it changes everything.
They wanted him impeached. The senate won't do anything past that.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Best case scenario:

Not from the US but how would that work? Would the democrats take control of the Senate immediately after the election? And would that mean Pence takes over for the remaining months of Trump's term?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not from the US but how would that work? Would the democrats take control of the Senate immediately after the election? And would that mean Pence takes over for the remaining months of Trump's term?
Newly elected members of Congress get sworn in the same day the President-Elect does, January 20th.

So there is about a 2.5 month period in between the election results and the actual claiming of the seats.