• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Seems like Naoki Yoshida wants to avoid a buggy launch and deliver a complete product. He was also mentioning FF14 in the same sentence since Endwalker is coming up soon.
Not NEWS news, but it will do a lot to the reputation of the series to have a second quality product after FF7 Remake in the singleplayer games.

Otherwise it's not to be taken at a potshot at anything , he just mentioned it because some FF14 fans are accusing him of abandoning FF14 in favor of FF16 ever since its announcement.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Hopefully that means I'll be getting a complete game at launch instead of being an "early access launch" customer like FFXV.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
giphy.gif

But I want to.

edit: alright, alright, didn't intend to poke such a busy hive. You can stop quoting me now. Yoshi-P shall deliver the goods.

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Ff7 remake was amazing , a GOTY contender
what you on about second quality product after FF7?
also always trust in Yoshi-P

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tabatrash put on blast

edit: this was a bad joke made in jest

Last edited:

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what FFXVI entails. Should we expect sequels, DLC, FFXIV style patches for a year or so?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I wanted to believe it...

We'll see if this game have have "day one patch" or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But very huge thumbs up if they didn't have it for day one.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Why not believe them? Honestly, if they take their time and do what they should, it should be fine.

I guess my question is, outside of the original FF14 launch, are main FF games (13, 15, FF7R, etc) from the past 10 years glitchy, buggy messes?
only FF15 really, if you stretch it out you could say Lightning Returns was technically poor

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Was just about to say.

Hopefully no undercooked story or DLC after the fact.
Not even expansions like The Witcher 3? If the base game is good and complete, then more content is good too.

The problem was that Square was putting the cart before the horses, they planned a whole universe and trans-media content of games they didn't even know we would enjoy.

Panam

Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
Bugs can always be fixed. Fundamental issues like looking like a borderline PS3 game is more worrying. I'll wait for actual gameplay footage before I go completely bananas though.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Have they said what engine it's going to be on? Seems to me that if it's on Unreal like the FF7 remake, there's good reason to hope it's technically strong. If it's on some weird Square internal thing like FFXV, hold on to your seats.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what FFXVI entails. Should we expect sequels, DLC, FFXIV style patches for a year or so?

All we can probably assume is that patches that follow will be mostly any further bug squishing (no matter what there will always be some bugs), and maybe some QoL stuff.

They haven't stated any intentions to make a FFXVI a GaaS.

Panam

Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
Not even expansions like The Witcher 3? If the base game is good and complete, then more content is good too.

The problem was that Square was putting the cart before the horses, they planned a whole universe and trans-media content of games they didn't even know we would enjoy.
Does Square even do content like that? The Yuffie episode was nice, but it's barely a 3 hour DLC unless you run through it twice and do side activities like the board game for the plat.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

That's very different from the approach they went with XV. We weren't given a good and complete base game.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Does Square even do content like that? The Yuffie episode was nice, but it's barely a 3 hour DLC unless you run through it twice and do side activities like the board game for the plat.
They don't but it's possible they might shift their content format with this game considering it's done by another studio within Square, and they have experience in expansion releases (of MMO games). I think it was also reported that Square doesn't believe in the profitability of singleplayer DLCs, which is why I believe the Yuffie episode was just a way to convince next-gen double dip.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
only FF15 really, if you stretch it out you could say Lightning Returns was technically poor

I didn't like XV much but it still felt pretty polished to me at launch, just lacking content and a complete story. I didn't finish it so maybe it gets worse later on. The original launch of XIV was a complete mess on the technical side

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder if they're aiming for 60 fps.

Would make sense seeing current trends, the fact that the game's not aiming for impossibly high-end visuals and the combat looking very DMC-inspired.

Panam

Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
They don't but it's possible they might shift their content format with this game considering it's done by another studio within Square, and they have experience in expansion releases (of MMO games). I think it was also reported that Square doesn't believe in the profitability of singleplayer DLCs, which is why I believe the Yuffie episode was just a way to convince next-gen double dip.
I'm sure they believe in season passes though...

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Have they said what engine it's going to be on? Seems to me that if it's on Unreal like the FF7 remake, there's good reason to hope it's technically strong. If it's on some weird Square internal thing like FFXV, hold on to your seats.
You know, I swear I thought they were using Luminous again but after a quick google there's no mention of the engine, so I'm not sure now. Could even be a new a custom engine.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Day one patch doesn't automatically equal bad? Don't the majority of games these days have one lol
Maybe depends on how bad the bugs & glitches, if they're exist at launch.

If it's game breaking bugs/glitches, freeze, locking, etc, that would not exactly "deliver a complete product" day one, in my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You know, I swear I thought they were using Luminous again but after a quick google there's no mention of the engine, so I'm not sure now. Could even be a new a custom engine.
They haven't said what it was beyond being an internal engine. A journalist said it was Crystal Tools but deleted their tweet, I assumed they had nothing to back this up outside of potentially extrapolating on the old belief that FF14 is running on Crystal Tools.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Let's hope so, FFXV was a dumpster fire.

Weird posts in this thread, I understand having faith based on a good track record but some people almost approach worship

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I have to say.... the 1.00 vanilla version of Final Fantasy 7 Remake is.... almost perfect. Knowing that the texture streaming is not a huge problem or game breaking....

I'm pretty sure they released just a single patch months after the release.

I'm confident that Square can pull this through.