• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
New source:

Tennis star Naomi Osaka has decided to take sole Japanese nationality over US citizenship with a view to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, according to Japanese public broadcaster NHK.
Two-time grand slam champion Osaka, who was born in Japan to a Japanese mother and Haitian father but was brought up in the US, told NHK that it gives her "a special feeling to try to go to the Olympics to represent Japan."

According to Japanese law, those with dual nationality must chose one before turning 22 years old. Osaka's 22nd birthday is on October 16.
"I think I will be able to put more of my emotion into it by playing for the pride of the country," she told NHK.

Previous source:

Tennis star Naomi Osaka has taken steps to give up her U.S. citizenship to play for Japan in the 2020 Olympics, Japanese media said on Thursday.
The 21-year-old, born in Japan to a Haitian father and Japanese mother but raised in the United States, told NHK it will be special for her to represent host Japan at the Tokyo Games, the public broadcaster said.
Osaka, who will turn 22 on Wednesday, faced that deadline to relinquish one nationality because neither Japan nor the United States permits dual citizenship for adults.
The Japanese Olympic Committee and a U.S.-based agent for Osaka in the United States could not immediately be reached outside business hours.
Japan, which has long prided itself on being homogeneous, is becoming more ethnically diverse. But prejudice remains against "haafu," or half-Japanese, including cases of bullying against mixed-race children.
And while Japan has largely embraced Osaka, she still faces some indignities.
Two weeks ago, Osaka laughed off comments by a Japanese comedy duo who said she was "too sunburned" and "needed some bleach," and turned the tables with a plug for Japanese cosmetic giant Shiseido, one of her sponsors.
In January, Japanese noodle company Nissin removed a commercial in which a cartoon character depicting Osaka was shown with pale skin and light brown hair, after it prompted an outcry

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that's a huge decision. Good for her.

US immigration law does allow dual citizenship though.. so is the article inaccurate?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know that you literally cannot compete as a dual-citizen. That really shouldn't be a thing.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, who will turn 22 on Wednesday, faced that deadline to relinquish one nationality because neither Japan nor the United States permits dual citizenship for adults.

The US permits dual citizenship for adults both in general and for the olympics

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
neither Japan nor the United States permits dual citizenship for adults.

BS at least on the US side

Here in the US we have had politicians that were dual citizens, sometimes even Republican politicians. And I personally know a few dual US and Canadian citizens.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Japan is letting her become a citizen. I thought they were strict with regards to that? Like you would need both your maternal and paternal grandparents to be citizens themselves in order to qualify.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know that you literally cannot compete as a dual-citizen. That really shouldn't be a thing.
It's not that dual citizens can't compete. It's that the Japanese government forces dual citizens to choose to retain their Japanese citizenship (by renouncing all others) by their 22nd birthday.

I'm surprised Japan is letting her become a citizen. I thought they were strict with regards to that? Like you would need both your maternal and paternal grandparents to be citizens themselves in order to qualify.
She's already a Japanese citizen.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a dual citizen from a tennis-obsessed 75% Asian household, this is going to be a thing all week. Still if you're ever gonna give up US citizenship without being booed at tournaments, now's probably the time to do it with panache and sympathy.

The US technically asks you to renounce your prior citizenship - but it's not enforced and the UK does not acknowledge it legally anyway, so no matter what you can always return to the old country, possibly with a bit of effing around at the Home Office or Passport office. I'm curious about what happens if Scotland secedes from the Brexit shitshow - and if my UK passport would automatically become a Scottish one, or if they'd honor prior traditions.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't think there were ever situations where you had to choose which and relinquish before a certain deadline. Pretty big decision.

Also haven't seen her play before but thought the seemed really nice and cool from the clips of interviews I've seen.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Unless the laws have changed, there have been plenty of US-born NBA players with dual-citizenship that have played on other national teams.

Edit: Ahhh, it's a Japan law thing. Makes sense.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Japan embraces her more or else she might regret that decision.
neither Japan nor the United States permits dual citizenship for adults.

BS at least on the US side

Here in the US we have had politicians that were dual citizens, sometimes even Republican politicians. And I personally know a few dual US and Canadian citizens.
Yep, my wife and son are both dual citizens of US and Ireland.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being half black and taking Japanese citizenship seems like a bad long term decision for her mental health. Although I guess we have racism issues too.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's a huge decision. Good for her.

US immigration law does allow dual citizenship though.. so is the article inaccurate?

Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. Technically, once you're 20 or 22, if you have dual citizenship you're supposed to choose one and stick with it. My son is going to have to deal with this in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I think many countries allow for special circumstances. I know Russia had several other foreign nationals get citizenship for the olympics (There was a story where a South Korean Ice speed skater became a Russian citizen to compete)

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
That's huge! I was 100% sure she would go for US citizenship. Hopefully she won't have to regret her decision later on.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's going to be the next athlete targeted by Trump. Unpatriotic!

I'm glad she's out there challenging Japanese society.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't think there were ever situations where you had to choose which and relinquish before a certain deadline. Pretty big decision.

Germany has a similar law too (only for certain cases though -- I believe it is when you are born in Germany to 2 non-German parents). Probably somewhat common in countries that also don't let you choose to become a dual citizen

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My friend's first two US-born daughters are dual-Japanese citizens. When his son was born, they forgot to send in the paperwork on time, so now his son is stuck as a US citizen.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Japan really needs to change their citizenship laws to allow dual citizenship.

Yeah, I agree.

That's huge! I was 100% sure she would go for US citizenship. Hopefully she won't have to regret her decision later on.

Honestly, with all of the bad shit that's going on in this country (mass shootings, violence, racism, Trump, Republicans/GOP), etc...

But at the same time, she'll have to deal with racism over there, too.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
She's going to be the next athlete targeted by Trump. Unpatriotic!

I'm glad she's out there challenging Japanese society.

"I've seen her play. I gotta tell you she's not very good. She's certainly not the best. I know more about tennis than probably anyone and she's not the best. Very poor backhand. And she is giving up the greatest opportunity. There's no better opportunity than to be an American citizen and she's giving it up to stay in Japan. And Japan - you know - Japan isn't doing very well right now. I like Japan. But it's not doing well. It's her decision. I would say not a very good one but it's her decision. But certainly American citizenship is the best thing you can get in the world."

Nov 13, 2017
She's live in the US since she was three, can't speak Japanese, but is giving up her US citizenship just so she can compete against the US at the Olympics? I mean...whatever makes you happy I guess.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If I recall correctly, the US allows ppl to have multiple citizenships. In this case, it's Japan who doesn't allow it.

Japan doesn't allow it yeah, a friend of mine explained to me that he had to sign some papers in Japan that essentially made him "give up" his italian citizenship.

However that paperwork isn't recognized by the italian goverment so he still has his italian citizenship too. He told me that a few years ago so I don't know how accurate it is today or if I am misremembering.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Germany has a similar law too (only for certain cases though -- I believe it is when you are born in Germany to 2 non-German parents). Probably somewhat common in countries that also don't let you choose to become a dual citizen
Oh thats interesting. Do you happen to know if you can hold dual citizenship if at least one of your parents is German themselves?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Some Asian cultures also seem to think that racism is comedy.

I know when I visit with my even further mixed children, that we will be okay (My Mom's side of the family is huge etc), but still. My mom used to tell me all the stories of mixed children that were orphaned, and how hard it was for them to be adopted in South Korea, so they helped many of those kids come find families in the United States.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing she is giving up her right to ever represent the US at the Olympics.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
She's live in the US since she was three, can't speak Japanese, but is giving up her US citizenship just so she can compete against the US at the Olympics? I mean...whatever makes you happy I guess.

Other American citizens have done the same thing to compete in the Olympics. I remember last time around there was an American guy who's wife is Russian so he became a citizen to ski for them.

edit: Alpine snowboarder Vic Wild

Dec 31, 2017
Good on her but she doesn't speak Japanese? Damn good luck. Heard racism is pretty bad in Japan as well, but maybe she can help challenge that notion.

And yeah the USA allows dual citizenship. I always found it weird that some countries made you pick one. Of course my bias is that I am a dual citizen.