• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
According to 9news, the scene has caused some outburst in Australia.

A violent PlayStation game featuring scenes of an abusive single father appearing to beat his pre-teen daughter to death has prompted calls for Australian stores to boycott it.

The objective of the game, which is scheduled for release in Australia next year, is for players to act as an android housemaid who must protect a girl from the violent outbursts of her father.

One scene shows Todd, the father, choking the housekeeper by the neck, and going up the stairs of his rundown home to beat his daughter with a belt.

"It's all over now, daddy isn't angry anymore," Todd says, after the beating, appearing to lay the lifeless body of young Alice on her bed.

The National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN) told Nine.com.au the game Detroit: Become Human was "very disturbing" and called on Australian stores to not stock it.

"Violence against women and children is not entertainment," NAPCAN deputy chief executive Leesa Waters said.

"From what I have seen in the trailer, this content is very disturbing.

"The content of this game is so horrific that it is likely to cause trauma for anyone watching, let alone anyone who has experienced family violence."

WARNING: Images below may be distressing

Waters said NAPCAN would be "advocating strongly" for serious expert consideration of the game, prior to any classification decisions being made in Australia.

"We also call on stores to take a responsible stand with regard to games such as this reaching their shelves," Waters said.

Detroit: Become Human players must take control of housemaid Kara and make a series of potentially lifesaving actions that can shield the child from abuse and death.

In another violent scene from the game, Todd screams at Kara: "She [Alice] is mine. I do what I want with her."

Todd then hits Kara in the face, as his daughter looks on.

Sony Australia confirmed to Nine the game, styled as an exclusive neo-noir thriller, would be released locally in Autumn. It has yet to be given a classification rating.

However, the spokesperson did not comment on whether the game glamorised and trivialised violence and domestic abuse.

Games such as Detroit: Become Human normalised family violence into amusement, according to Dr Glenn Cupit, a spokesman for Australian Council on Children and the Media (ACCM).

"I am worried that kids are being brought up on a diet of entertainment violence," Cupit, a retired child psychologist, said.

"Games are much worse than films because they are immersive and involve young people in the act of violence, rather than sitting back passively and watching it."

On average, at least one Australian woman a week is killed by a partner or former partner, according to research in Australia.

Michael Flood, an associate professor at the Queensland University of Technology, said there was good evidence that violent video games breed violence.

"Playing a game like [Detroit: Become Human] won't by itself turn an individual into a daughter-killer but it does feed into our cultural support for tolerance of violence," Flood said.

"If you play video games where violence is important to the game, and the violence is realistic, you are more likely to tolerate that violence in real life.

"You will also have less empathy for victims of that kind of violence."

Flood said extensive research in this area had showed that exposure to violent media and content shaped empathy.

Detroit: Become Human was developed by gaming company Quantic Dream, and took creator David Cage more than two years to script and produce.

More than 200 real life actors were cast in the game, with the performance capture of the actors taking 324 days to complete.

So where were these advocates when you watch a boy drown in the rain in Heavy Rain? When Madison is about to get murdered by a drill and even worse fate in Taxidermist DLC? Or when Jodie is about to get raped in a biker bar? Or when Jodie was beaten to a coma by hooligans in Beyond: Two Souls?

EDIT: Apologies for the miswording in the title. I would like to request a mod / admin to fix it and won't make this mistake again. :)

Replay my scenario if old.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
As an Australian I haven't heard a peep regarding this game or any of its scenes... 9 News is not a particularly credible or accurately reflective of Australian society IMO

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Misleading thread title. One organisation and a dodgy news site calling for a boycott is not an entire country doing so.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The game is almost certainly going to be a completely inept exploration of these issues just like Tommy Wiseau...I mean David Cage's last few efforts. If you are going to approach these ideas in a video game you have to knock it out of the park and that isn't going to happen.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
"Violence against women and children is not entertainment," NAPCAN deputy chief executive Leesa Waters said.

"From what I have seen in the trailer, this content is very disturbing.

"The content of this game is so horrific that it is likely to cause trauma for anyone watching, let alone anyone who has experienced family violence."

It's not because it is disturbing. It is because it feels so real and they feel guilty because of it

As an Australian I haven't heard a peep regarding this game or any of its scenes... 9 News is not a particularly credible or accurately reflective of Australian society IMO
Credible or not, they still used real quotes (I hope)

Michael Flood, an associate professor at the Queensland University of Technology, said there was good evidence that violent video games breed violence.

"Playing a game like [Detroit: Become Human] won't by itself turn an individual into a daughter-killer but it does feed into our cultural support for tolerance of violence," Flood said.

"If you play video games where violence is important to the game, and the violence is realistic, you are more likely to tolerate that violence in real life.

"You will also have less empathy for victims of that kind of violence."

Flood said extensive research in this area had showed that exposure to violent media and content shaped empathy.

and

Games such as Detroit: Become Human normalised family violence into amusement, according to Dr Glenn Cupit, a spokesman for Australian Council on Children and the Media (ACCM).

"I am worried that kids are being brought up on a diet of entertainment violence," Cupit, a retired child psychologist, said.

"Games are much worse than films because they are immersive and involve young people in the act of violence, rather than sitting back passively and watching it."

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care for Cage's obsession with making his stuff "artistic" by putting deliberately controversial stuff in there. I wish his games were a bit more about having subtle intellectual points, and not just "emotions".
But even more, I find it so tiresome to hear from some psychologists how video game violence makes people more violent, or tolerant with violence. I thought the point in science was that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

EDIT:
At least it seems it's not a credible news source. Still tired of hearing this crap from any old rag or right-wing news source.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP title is misleading. "Australia" does not want to refuse the game classification. This isn't even a government thing, where such a label might be applicable. An anti-child abuse advocacy group wants the game to be given "serious expert consideration" prior to classification -- whatever that means, and for stores not to stock it. And a random QUT professor thinks that the game might be harmful. I highly doubt this will amount to anything.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So where were these advocates when you watch a boy drown in the rain in Heavy Rain? When Madison is about to get murdered by a drill and even worse fate in Taxidermist DLC? Or when Jodie is about to get raped in a biker bar? Or when Jodie was beaten to a coma by hooligans in Beyond: Two Souls?

I'm not for or against boycotting the game as it stands now, but you should know this is fallacious reasoning for several reasons (changing mores and awareness, conflating situations that are different or at least seem so to them, arguing ad-hominem, etc.). The point is that they're boycotting it now: argue for or against the merits of doing so with actual reasons.

Misleading thread title. One organisation and a dodgy news site calling for a boycott is not an entire country doing so.

That too. Clickbait at its finest.

I think the OP title is misleading. "Australia" does not want to refuse the game classification. This isn't even a government thing, were such a label might be applicable. An anti-child abuse advocacy group wants the game to be given "serious expert consideration" and for stores not to stock it. And a random QUT professor thinks that the game might be harmful. I highly doubt this will amount to anything.

My bad. I just read the article and since Australia has been known to ban games in similar situations, I just thought it would be a fitting line since the first paragraph says
the game has prompted calls for Australian stores to boycott it.

Admins and / or mods are welcome to change the title if needed. No objection from me.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game is almost certainly going to be a completely inept exploration of these issues just like Tommy Wiseau...I mean David Cage's last few efforts. If you are going to approach these ideas in a video game you have to knock it out of the park and that isn't going to happen.
It kills me that Sony keeps having this guy at the creative helm. He's just not good at it.

Find a talented director to make these movie games.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
R1fdEt3.gif

Not entire australia.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017

This. The people calling for this are probably the same fools who think that GTA gives you "points" for running over civilians and killing prostitutes. They haven't realised that games aren't just children's toys, and that simply because something is depicted in them, does not mean it is endorsed.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Same old rubbish. Bunch of people who neither like nor understand video games try to speak about them as if they've a clue what they're talking about. The kind of people who still haven't shaken the decades-old idea that videogames are toys for kids, and who won't even look into the game they're talking about far enough to realise that the player is tasked with preventing the violence, not perpetrating it.

On top of everything, how anyone could believe that this game is going to make players less empathetic towards victims of domestic violence is insane to me.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Seems like these guys never realized that not all games are meant to be "fun". Just because a game is asking you to do or watch something, doesn't mean the player is supposed to like it.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It doesn't need to do that. It just needs to provide good gameplay and a good story.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This game is going to tackle domestic violence (or frankly any of its social issues) with about as much tact as an Adam Sandler comedy.

The way they portrayed the trailer was fucking gross. "Here, we have a father murdering his child. NOW LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE TRY A DIFFERENT APPROACH!" Fuck off, Cage.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought Australia was a Country of tough, rugged individuals. Yet whenever there's a news story they're crying over a violent scene in a videogame or upset about mild sexual content.

Jovian

Oct 28, 2017
The story is from a pretty trashy news source, bit of shame about the community organisations who mean well stepping out of their space to criticise what subject matters can be 'worthy of art', which no doubt come from a pretty ignorant position about where the state of games are at as a storytelling medium.

I'm sure none of them would have raised concerns with the domestic violence of Fences, or the violence against children in The Lovely Bones or Grave of the Fireflies.

A harrowing tale about an uncomfortable subject gives a viewer who may not be so intimate with the reality an empathetic viewport to understand.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid, but I'm not surprised.

The game will probably be quite interesting and artful, but it was an absolutely INSANE marketing move to show that sequence out of context like that.

That double whammy of that and the Last of Us 2 trailer seemed to be just begging for this sort of trouble.

I loved Heavy Rain. I hope this game lives up to the potential that game hinted at (and Beyond didn't fulfill).

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017

This shit really annoys me. Happened at the old place and still does here.

1 news article / organisation / Facebook post / tweet or whatever and it's "X Country wants Y!!!"

The David Cage hate on here is getting so boring.

Also this , especially when its a 1 line shitpost.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of empathy and it's relationship with consuming violence, I'm wondering if there's not a connection between the rise of the alt right and the game industry's penchant for using violence to sell games. Even on this forum a lack of empathy is often called out in various topics on representation. To solve many of societies problems we might have to first deal with our normalization of violence in our media.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the topic of empathy and it's relationship with consuming violence, I'm wondering if there's not a connection between the rise of the alt right and the game industry's penchant for using violence to sell games. Even on this forum a lack of empathy is often called out in various topics on representation. To solve many of societies problems we might have to first deal with our normalization of violence in our media.
Violence has been selling games since the 80s and 90s, this is not a new thing.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sigh what is it about the culture in this country that seems to create this stuff? Seems more rampant here than anyone else. As for the people saying they hadn't heard about it, neither had I as I don't touch Channel 9. I then asked some of my friends who don't even play games and they had heard about this. Ugh.
I don't really care for Cage's obsession with making his stuff "artistic" by putting deliberately controversial stuff in there. I wish his games were a bit more about having subtle intellectual points, and not just "emotions".
But even more, I find it so tiresome to hear from some psychologists how video game violence makes people more violent, or tolerant with violence. I thought the point in science was that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

EDIT:
At least it seems it's not a credible news source. Still tired of hearing this crap from any old rag or right-wing news source.
9News is one of the four big news sources on TV in Australia. People saying that it's not credible isn't entirely true, though there is a problem with corruption with all mainstream media at the moment here.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
hmm i'd say no, there isn't a connection between the rise of far-right populism and videogame violence. i might be way off though.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This game is going to tackle domestic violence (or frankly any of its social issues) with about as much tact as an Adam Sandler comedy.

The way they portrayed the trailer was fucking gross. "Here, we have a father murdering his child. NOW LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE TRY A DIFFERENT APPROACH!" Fuck off, Cage.

I don't really understand what your issue is with this. The game is about the consequences of taking or not taking certain actions in life-or-death situations.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
They're just spouting the same old nonsense as if it were fact.

"The content of this game is so horrific that it is likely to cause trauma for anyone watching"

LOL sit the fuck down.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I just never understand why the "Please think of the children!" stance is put forward. The game is more than likely going to be rated at least 16+, more than likely 18. So there aren't going to be children playing unless the parents decide otherwise, which isn't that down to the parents to decide.

I don't think we should shy away from controversial and difficult subject matter for the sake of avoiding offense. This isn't exactly going to be Hatred in its depiction of violence either.