• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boy this series went to complete shit as time went on but man does it have some really great moments at the same time.

I also have to say that Kishimoto is a god at creating awesome looking characters and I feel like that's a strength he has over Oda (One Piece).

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Still surprises me how many people didn't figure out Tobi's identity from his first appearance. I mean, it's right there in his name!
I think everyone figured it out. Some people just didn't want to believe that it could be so obvious. I can't really blame them since "magic Hashirama cells" probably wasn't something that people would have considered back then. Orochimaru was pretty crazy but the series hadn't gone that crazy yet.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I thought Obito was the obvious answer from the beginning and was at first disappointed when he was revealed. Seeing how Obito was portrayed as himself during the war though, won me over. I loved it. One of my favourite characters of the series.

I also totally disagree with the common fan consensus of Naruto, as a series, going on a decline. I don't think it's that way at all, and I think part 1 Naruto is easily the less interesting part of the whole. Everything from the hebi arc forward was great, and Kishi did some excellent work in creating a tangled historical narrative, especially considering the audience he was writing to. I think it's more lazy criticism on the part of fans that keeps them from getting out of their cynical read of a series not turning out the way they wanted (which is often the flaw in fan criticism - 'you want it one way, but it the other way', or 'this didn't live up to all the millions of things I imagined it could have been'). The hand wringing about the morality or decisions of characters and their lack of 'logic' or completely rational choices is easily the worst part of how people react to these kinds of series though. It happens across media though, people want their characters in series to act like inhuman robots, or to be paragons of virtue and nobility. This is one aspect I loved about Naruto, that characters shifted through different polarities of moral and ethical perspectives. Some were driven to various extremes, some through pragmatism, some through their vulnerable psychologies and ages, many manipulated by others.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shippuden had some mighty fine arcs as well: Rescue Gaara, Hebi Sasuke, Immortals Arc, Jiriaya's death, Naruto vs Pain and Sasuke vs Itachi.

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering how many episodes we will have before Boruto gets the Shippūden treatment? Can't wait to see Boruto as an adult. Dude looks straight up badass. Wonder how powerful he is without being able to rely on Kurama's chakra.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
zFjlnpI.jpg

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I mean, except for Madara. He was just like 'well, looks like my way didn't work out', then died. Black Zetsu too, he was just like 'fuck you all'. Naruto couldn't really connect with them. They were like the main overarching villains of the series and were too distant. The characters who were affected by Naruto were the ones that were deep down scarred and emotionally vulnerable and used as tools by others and had connection to Naruto through the ways they lived, people they knew and dreams they shared (Gaara, Nagato, Obito), which makes their turns make a lot of sense.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tough call. I prefer Orochimaru due to him being so clinically evil. Pain's entrance was literally god like though.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be finishing up OG Naruto soon, on episode 130 currently. I'll be watching to 135, then skipping to 220 before moving on to Shippuden as I've seen suggested online by various sources. I'm just not interested in filler at all.
I've been really enjoying it so far, but I've heard Shippuden is VASTLY superior. If true then I'm very excited, what does NarutoERA think?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be finishing up OG Naruto soon, on episode 130 currently. I'll be watching to 135, then skipping to 220 before moving on to Shippuden as I've seen suggested online by various sources. I'm just not interested in filler at all.
I've been really enjoying it so far, but I've heard Shippuden is VASTLY superior. If true then I'm very excited, what does NarutoERA think?

I love Shippuden but the consensus on the internet seems to be Part 1 is better. I pretty much love all of Naruto besides the penultimate boss but that's just me.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I like shippuden better, the first arc is rough in animation but get through it though. Part 1 is amazing but the most memorable moments in the series happen in the time skip, the best fights and the best characters.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I love Shippuden but the consensus on the internet seems to be Part 1 is better. I pretty much love all of Naruto besides the penultimate boss but that's just me.

I like shippuden better, the first arc is rough in animation but get through it though. Part 1 is amazing but the most memorable moments in the series happen in the time skip, the best fights and the best characters.

This is heartening. I fucking love time skips. I've heard the same about one piece (we're mid 300s atm). We know SOME things about Naruto through spoilers

Naruto and Hinata getting married

but that's about it.

I've been pretty removed from anime since HS (graduated 2007) so catching up on the big hitters has been super fun. My gf is a bit older (+~9 yrs) but she was ordering Sailor Moon VHSs from Japan in her heyday. We're both trying to return to our roots. It has been super fun exchanging recommendations and experiencing what we've missed.

Serious OG Naruto spoilers below

Choji and Neji seriously fucked us up. We still haven't come to terms over whether they are dead or not (don't tell us). Every episode intro inevitably brings about NOOOOOJI, we just can't believe it's real, but real death in a shounen anime is not something we're used to (to us that we can remember).

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shippuuden is amazing if you watch just the canon episodes (be wary some online guides still have filler as canon) till a certain climax point. After that something happens which removes the individual urgency and paths of characters and makes the overall pacing slow.

SSJLuffy

Oct 28, 2017
So I've just started rewatching Naruto and I've never seen ANY of the filler. I was wondering if there are any filler episodes worth watching. Ones that are funny, have good character interactions, good fights, good animation, add to the story at all etc. Just wondering if any of its worth digging into at all. From what I've read the Power and the Kakashi ANBU arcs are considered good. Anything else at all?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I've just started rewatching Naruto and I've never seen ANY of the filler. I was wondering if there are any filler episodes worth watching. Ones that are funny, have good character interactions, good fights, good animation, add to the story at all etc. Just wondering if any of its worth digging into at all. From what I've read the Power and the Kakashi ANBU arcs are considered good. Anything else at all?
Kakashi ANBU arc is fantastic.
I'd recommend episode 101 of the first series. It's about Team 7 trying to see what's under Kakashi's mask and it's really fun

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Depending on how much you care the 2nd filler arc I think hunt for the 3 tails in good too. Power is basically a movie so it's animation is great.

Konohamaru has a one off episode of him trying to be useful which lead to some really good action. Shino vs torune was a good 2 parter and the sound 4 resurrected was too.

SSJLuffy

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll look into it. Are the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games worth getting? I was looking into picking up that collection. I've only ever played some PS2 game with an original story that I remember being bad and Rise of a Ninja on the 360 which I loved back in the day.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll look into it. Are the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games worth getting? I was looking into picking up that collection. I've only ever played some PS2 game with an original story that I remember being bad and Rise of a Ninja on the 360 which I loved back in the day.
I love the storm games I'm like top of the leader boards for each one lol. I'd definitely recommend the leagacy collection, the boss fights and cinema action are amazing and it's a perfect way to relive the story.

Multiplayer for storm 4 is still alive and I never have a problem finding matches, on top of all that I think the legacy collection is on sale right now on PS4 part of the golden week sale. Or the switch version just came out too but that's only the first 3 games. If you plan on playing multiplayer avoid the Xbox version, the multiplayer is broken on Xbox, lobby's just don't work.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Storm games so I'd say yes. Especially if you got PS4/XB1/PC and can get the collection that includes Storm 4. They're really great games for Naruto fans and they get better and better.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dang this dead thread huh? Boruto thread could've used it since there's new Boruto stuff to discuss every week. Or is this perhaps a response to the Naruto threads being made in Etcetera?

Anyway, I'll just plug the Boruto thread, good people in there.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Dang this dead thread huh? Boruto thread could've used it since there's new Boruto stuff to discuss every week. Or is this perhaps a response to the Naruto threads being made in Etcetera?

Anyway, I'll just plug the Boruto thread, good people in there.
Good point. I didn't know this thread existed, but now I have someplace to discuss how Sasuke should have been Hokage.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I plan on re reading the manga soon, and looking up the Naruto wiki...holy shit. The Ninja War lasted near 17 volumes?! That's the longest arc in the series at this rate @_@

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Refresh my memory- can sharingan copy bloodline limits? During the first src kakashi states that bloodline limits cannot be copied but i wouldnt be surprised if kishimoto forgot ot dropped that aspect.