• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
wispr-big.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/wispr-big.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/preparing-for-discovery-with-nasas-parker-solar-probe

This image from Parker Solar Probe's WISPR (Wide-field Imager for Solar Probe) instrument shows a coronal streamer, seen over the east limb of the Sun on Nov. 8, 2018, at 1:12 a.m. EST. Coronal streamers are structures of solar material within the Sun's atmosphere, the corona, that usually overlie regions of increased solar activity. The fine structure of the streamer is very clear, with at least two rays visible. Parker Solar Probe was about 16.9 million miles from the Sun's surface when this image was taken. The bright object near the center of the image is Mercury, and the dark spots are a result of background correction.

That bright dot is Mercury. So we are seeing the Sun's light bouncing back towards itself. Absolutely unbelievable photo.

(Launch me into the Sun if old)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this photo is kinda sad. It's amazing and I worry that we might never see anything quite as advanced again if we don't get our shit together.

less

Oct 25, 2017
The sheer scale of how big things can get in space will never cease to amaze me. How small Mercury is against this view of the sun is staggering. And then you realize just how small the sun is compared to the solar system.

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
What's mind boggling is that there are stars out there that dwarfs even the sun.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Blows me away that a probe was able to get that close without melting AND send a photo back to Earth.

What an amazing shot.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are the little black lines in the upper portion of the photo?

Edit: upon closer inspection, it seems like they might also be background correction.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think we're capable of comprehending the scale of these sizes.

It's because the scale keeps changing so there's no consistent frame of reference.

Here's a video that locks the scale

Even though the sizes are inaccurate compared to real life, the fixed scale does help you comprehend all the different sizes within the same frame of reference.