• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Close planets, the Moon the Sun and close by stars can have their size determined by basic trigonometry after one measures the angular size in the sky and the distance to the object (say, by parallax, which involves more basic trig).

Far away stars are more indirect. There is a way to relate a stars temperature, which is determined from the light's peak wavelength, to its expected brightness, which is proportional to the surface area. If a star is too luminous for its temperature, that means it has a huge surface area, so it's a giant.

There are other methods too, for instance If some other object passes in front of the star, it blocks some of it's light, and from how much dimming and the time it takes to pass it is also possible to infer the size of the star and/or the other body.
angsz1.gif

https://www.astronomynotes.com/solarsys/s2.htm

Goddamn I suck at math.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, seeing that size gif really puts into perspective how small we are in the big scheme of things.

My takeaway was that a Dyson sphere would be fucking impossible for us unless some sort of miracle.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Big red bastard always gloating about how hot it is meanwhile Pluto is freezing, get your priorities sorted mate.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this photo is kinda sad. It's amazing and I worry that we might never see anything quite as advanced again if we don't get our shit together.
I get kind of sad that I wont live long enough to see all the neat stuff we discover in the universe in the future. However, I can be content with the fact that Earth is probably one in a million planets. Imagine trying to find a single tree outside of Earth.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Fns4DBI.jpg

Speaking of eerie, anyone hear of Boötes void before?

That's Barnard 68. People mistakenly use it when talking about Bootes.

Bootes is spherically. Also:

So far, only 60 galaxies have been discovered in the Boötes void. Using a rough estimate of about 1 galaxy every 10 million light-years (4 times farther than Andromeda Galaxy from Earth), there should have been approximately 2,000 galaxies in the Boötes void.

It's an interesting place.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Maybe that's the afterlife. You die and then your spirit can travel anywhere in time and space, so you can finally learn the secrets. Like an infinite VR wikipedia but way more detailed. But you have no way to tell the living.

Dude that's my literal wish when I die! To be able to just traverse time and space and see all. I like your thinking!

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
That gif is now outdated. UY Scuti is bigger than Canis Majoris. And to think there are billions of stars in a galaxy and there are billions of galaxies out there. Andromeda itself is way bigger than ours.

NDT made a comment that I'll always think of. No matter how great our technology becomes, we'll never be able to leave the galaxy. And in the far future, since the universe is ever expanding, we'll reach a point where everything will travel so far away from us that it will be much harder or even impossible to observe.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Excuse my ignorance, but why didn't this thing completely burn and melt being this close to the sun?
As far as I know the probe hides behind a solar shield that it keeps pointed towards the Sun at all times. The Shield is incredibly durable and reflective, bouncing light back at the Sun instead of absorbing it (and getting fried).
Mirror-Shield.gif

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is absolutely awesome. Also, still reinforces my point lol. You wanna appease and express gratitude to this thing for keeping you alive simply by not consuming or disintegrating you. Along with all of the other ways it's the only reason you're here.

Also add to that image, that when the sun dies, it will expand and swallow earth whole, taking the planet with it/him/her.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty exciting as there are plenty of mysteries regarding plasma physics around there.

Also a few people in my university is involved in some research with it, so I am excited for them.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Kind of. It's just the event horizon of the black hole, the boundary in spacetime past which the gravitational pull is so intense not even light can escape, that is that big.

The actual gravitational singularity at the center is smaller our Sun. Way, way, waaaay smaller actually, since the singularity is potentially millions of solar masses contained within a single point in space, with zero volume but essentially infinite density.
Yeah that last few sentences is mind boggling. Like how does something like this exist. Black holes are just rediculous.