• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

less

Oct 25, 2017
What timeline is NASA looking at? 20/30 years?

Anyways, I've always loved NASA since I first read about the Apollo missions. Space is one hell of a frontier and I will always support advancing our footprint in space.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is for the best really.

Much easier to go to mars from the moon instead of going straight to mars like Elon Musk said he wanted to do.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Interstellar and Mass Effect Andromeda had teasers more hype than this. :p

I would like to at least witness the age of interplanetary travel while Im alive. Go NASA, go ESA. Take humans out of this rock.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the goal is Mars, then let's go to Mars. The moon as a "hopping off point" is just a distraction (or a delaying tactic, depending on your cynicism).

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
If the goal is Mars, then let's go to Mars. The moon as a "hopping off point" is just a distraction (or a delaying tactic, depending on your cynicism).

Luna could be a distraction, sure, but it would also allow them to do a lot of field testing of systems and technology before implementing them on Mars.

It's probably not necessary and adding unneeded expenses but would be much safer in the long run.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure whatever.

too many of these announcements over the past 20 years for me to care or believe.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If 'fiscal conservatives' can hand out trillions in tax cuts then we can stop handwringing about if we can afford good things

We can AFFORD good things, the fucks in charge won't fund them. It's one of the few things I'm still mad about that Obama signed off on. We shovel money into the Great American war machine but hate science and exploration.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

No. If you can construct a ship on the lunar surface you can make it much larger than one you have to design to escape Earth's huge gravity well. You need much less fuel to get it into a transfer orbit to Mars.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How? You will need to build a moonbase and a launch pad first. That's gonna be costly as fuck.
Yeah which is why I don't even know how he expect it to go as well as he thinks it will.

Edit: I might be misunderstanding your post. Do you mean the base on the moon would be expansive? If so it would be much less costly than to go to mars straight from the earth.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
Luna could be a distraction, sure, but it would also allow them to do a lot of field testing of systems and technology before implementing them on Mars.

It's probably not necessary and adding unneeded expenses but would be much safer in the long run.
actually I understand the moonbase a bit more, the more i think about it, and why it could be important

its more about making a colony on the moon that would slowly become a testing site for future off world hubs, and also an experiment on it. its close to earth, so if theres an emergency they can get supplies relatively fast, as compared to something on a martian colony breaking and taking 6 months to arrive.
added benefit is also having a strong population on the moon, that if somethign did wipe out life on earth, we still have the colony on the moon to survive and expand from.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. If you can construct a ship on the lunar surface you can make it much larger than one you have to design to escape Earth's huge gravity well. You need much less fuel to get it into a transfer orbit to Mars.

Erm, haven't we already got lots of experience constructing large habitats in LEO? You can't tell me it's cheaper to develop, implement and resource the manufacture of ships on the lunar surface compared to that...

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't make sense. You will need to shoot the spacecraft materials into space from Earth surface first before you assemble them on lunar surface. What makes more sense, transporting rocket parts to lunar surface on multiple trips so we can launch the spacecraft from there, or assemble the spacecraft on Earth itself and launch the spacecraft from our launch pad?

Not to mention the countless human checks and manual stuff engineers would have to do before a launch. Where will all these engineers come from? Having Mission Control on Earth would work but other than that this thing is not better than what we do currently.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't make sense. You will need to shoot the spacecraft materials into space from Earth surface first before you assemble them on lunar surface. What makes more sense, transporting rocket parts to lunar surface on multiple trips so we can launch the spacecraft from there, or assemble the spacecraft on Earth itself and launch the spacecraft from our launch pad?

Not to mention the countless human checks and manual stuff engineers would have to do before a launch. Where will all these engineers come from? Having Mission Control on Earth would work but other than that this thing is not better than what we do currently.
not if the idea, is to build a low G forge. tether asteroids and bring them to refineries on the moon, and construct it from there.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish he said ". . . to Mars and beyond"

Buzz-Lightyear-Wings-82949.gif

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
They say this every few years, it doesn't mean anything.

By the time they manage to get their own rocket off the ground, Musk, Bezos, or some other billionaire will have been chilling there for years, sipping mojitos on their Martian plantations.

Oct 27, 2017
Erm, haven't we already got lots of experience constructing large habitats in LEO? You can't tell me it's cheaper to develop, implement and resource the manufacture of ships on the lunar surface compared to that...
Well for one there are no natural resources in LEO, they have to be brought up from the surface while the Moon presumably has some minerals and stuff

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised Republicans don't want to spend money on NASA, they're afraid non-whites will colonize space.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well for one there are no natural resources in LEO, they have to be brought up from the surface while the Moon presumably has some minerals and stuff

So it's cheaper and faster to build and install material refineries, processing and manufacturing facilities on the moon than sending up a few more rockets?

This whole plan for a moon base to make Mars easier sounds like a better concept for a sci fi show than a genuine practical plan.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I strongly suspect SpaceX will be back to the moon first.

The idea is that you construct and fuel your ship with materials from the moon. You don't just use it as an assembly staging area.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

You're thinking of this as a fiscal problem when the person you're talking to is referring to solving a physics problem.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
It is for the best really.

Much easier to go to mars from the moon instead of going straight to mars like Elon Musk said he wanted to do.
Sure, if the moon is actually your starting point... But everything we send to Mars is going to start on Earth, and Earth->Moon->Mars is FAR FAR FAR more difficult than straight Earth->Mars, both in terms of delta-v (propellant) requirements and mission complexity.

Only makes sense if you have a lot of mining and manufacturing infrastructure already set up on the Moon, which is a very distant goal. If you want to construct a ship off Earth right now, doing it in Earth orbit makes infinitely more sense than doing it on or around the Moon.

Here is a map of the Solar System, in terms of delta-v (change in velocity, or essentially the propellant requirements) to go between different surfaces and orbits. Add up the numbers between any two points, and that's how much it costs to go between them:
http://i.imgur.com/SqdzxzF.png

If you're trying to get to Mars from the Earth, going to the Moon on the way gains you absolutely nothing. It's more costly to get a ship or materials to the surface of the Moon than to get to Mars orbit.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So strange we never went back to the moon for a moon base and what not. I mean it's been what 60 years now. Rather ridiculous.

I seems all we wanted to do is beat the Russians and then forget it about it lol.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it, their SLS program which is the driving force of their vague moon/mars plans has been a complete disaster internally, becoming so over budget and so overly delayed that it honestly might be cancelled the same way that Constellation was - their old moon/mars plan just a decade ago.

This video comes out just days after their former administratior described their Lunar architecture as "stupid", and weeks after a report blasted them and their contractors for mismanaging the rocket part of the program so badly. Not a particularly good look. If the program continues to be managed like this then NASA isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So strange we never went back to the moon for a moon base and what not. I mean it's been what 60 years now. Rather ridiculous.

I seems all we wanted to do is beat the Russians and then forget it about it lol.

I heard the declassified tapes from the Oval where Kennedy talks about it before his speech, and states something like "I don't give a damn about going to the Moon". So, yeah.

Oct 28, 2017
England
After watching Issac Arthur's wonderful video on Lunar colonisation my imagination is racing at the possibilities. Ah, how I'd love for this to be more than simple PR. I agree with what others have said, even if this were a genuine announcement, SpaceX or some other company will beat them to it (although I'm happy for it to be anyone, just as long as somebody does it).

Also, I expect there maybe some angry Tweets over "this is not about flags"!

I can't wait to see the stretch goals

Maybe if we all club together Era can donate enough to name a moon colony?