• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Making Light of Victim Blaming Rhetoric
variety.com

Natalie Portman Responds to Rose McGowan’s Criticism of Her Oscar Dress

Natalie Portman responded to Rose McGowan's social media criticism of her Oscars dress.
Rose McGowan didn't like Natalie Portman's Oscar capes that had the names of snubbed female directors on it. McGowan basically accused Portman of performative wokeness. Portman responded to that shot with some savagery that I did not expect.
"I agree with Ms. McGowan that it is inaccurate to call me 'brave' for wearing a garment with women's names on it," Portman said. "Brave is a term I more strongly associate with actions like those of the women who have been testifying against Harvey Weinstein the last few weeks, under incredible pressure."

McGowan accused Weinstein of raping her at the 1997 Sundance Film Festival, one of dozens of claims against the former movie mogul. She later reached a $100,000 settlement with him.

RIP Rose McGowan.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

RIP Rose McGowan? What is this thread

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why did McGowan make that comment in the first place? Isn't she a feminist? Uttering the phrase "performative wokeness" makes you sound like some alt-right troll. Is there beef between the two women that I am unaware of?

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry. Portman is just being shitty here. Survivors shouldn't be shamed for not wanting to relive their rape on a public stage especially given all the shit initially going public put McGowan through.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did McGowan make that comment in the first place? Isn't she a feminist? Uttering the phrase "performative wokeness" makes you sound like some alt-right troll. Is there beef between the two women that I am unaware of?

Being critical of white feminism makes you sound alt-right?

I like Natalie Portman, but if her production company isn't hiring women directors that aren't her, what's up with that?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry. Portman is just being shitty here. Survivors shouldn't be shamed for not wanting to relive their rape on a public stage especially given all the shit initially going public put McGowan through.

Eh, calling the ones who testify brave isn't the same as shaming the ones who don't.

Edit: I see what people are saying wrt the settlement, but I'm not sure the intent is as viscious as it looks. McGowan still supports the women testifying. I think Portman is just adding her name to that support.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Natalie Portman's production company produced 11 movies.
It only produced movies with a single female director: Natalie Portman

Yeah love her work and cannot describe how hyped I am for th next Thor considering Jane Thor is my favorite comic book character.

But she can fuck off with this condescending bullshit holy shit.

Taking a shot at a sexual abuse survivor for not testifying and people actually going "yaas queen!" the fuck is wrong with you?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shaming someone for not testifying against their rapist is uh, certainly one way to hit back at someone accusing you of performance wokeness.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017

She said it because Natalie Portman's production company doesn't actually hire any women directors, as far as I read in an article.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people giving Portman props? She's shitting on a rape victim like its some kind of gotcha moment.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This response only works if all you care for are zingers and shit, namely on Twitter. It's actually pretty fuck to insinuate McGowan is not brave for not putting herself through the stresses of an active trial. OP needs to reflect on their reaction to this imo.

Oct 25, 2017
That's really fucking shitty from Portman.

A) It was performative, that's the entire goddamn point of that dress.

B) Why the fuck is she publicly shitting on survivors of sexual abuse for not wanting to testify in court and deal with all the trauma that entails?

This is super fucked up.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, calling the ones who testify brave isn't the same as shaming the ones who don't.
I mean, look at this thread with all the 'savage' and 'rekts'. The obvious implication here is that she is, indeed, calling her cowardly for not testifying.

There's no way Portman is dumb enough not to realize it when everyone in this thread did.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Natalie Portman Responds to Rose McGowan’s Criticism of Her Oscar Dress

Natalie Portman responded to Rose McGowan's social media criticism of her Oscars dress.
Rose McGowan didn't like Natalie Portman's Oscar capes that had the names of snubbed female directors on it. McGowan basically accused Portman of performative wokeness. Portman responded to that shot with some savagery that I did not expect.

RIP Rose McGowan.
Wow. I need this kind of savage in my life.
Stop giving Rose McGowan attention.
HAHAHAHA fuckin rekt

Yo so why is this acceptable behavior from Portman?

100% serious, please explain your garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.