• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, look at this thread with all the 'savage' and 'rekts'. The obvious implication here is that she is, indeed, calling her cowardly for not testifying.

There's no way Portman is dumb enough not to realize it when everyone in this thread did.

I don't know. I think people are so conditioned to expect vitriol that they see it everywhere. But I'm not going to tell people how to feel about this. She's probably going to have to come out with a statement to address this statement.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Her production company Handsomecharlie films and their directors:
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Burr Steers
  • No Strings Attached: Ivan Reitman
  • Jane Got a Gun: Gavin O'Connor
  • Hesher: Spencer Susser
  • Love And Other Impossible Pursuits: Don Roos
  • Eating Animals: Christopher Dillon Quinn
  • Foxy Trotter: Chris Pryonski
  • Eve (short): Natalie Portman
  • A Tale of Love and Darkness: Natalie Portman
I mean I like her, but this isn't it.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, calling the ones who testify brave isn't the same as shaming the ones who don't.

The context of Portman replying to McGowan with that comment certainly implies that it is. But maybe Portman genuinely didn't mean it that way. She should probably clarify if that's not how she means it, because I can see how it would be interpreted that way, knowing McGowan's history.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The context of Portman replying to McGowan with that comment certainly implies that it is. But maybe Portman genuinely didn't mean it that way. She should probably clarify if that's not how she means it, because I can see how it would be interpreted that way, knowing McGowan's history.

Yeah I agree.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to "Natalie Portman responds.... is an asshole"

Deliberately going after someone's history with sexual assault because they criticised you is gross

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did McGowan make that comment in the first place? Isn't she a feminist? Uttering the phrase "performative wokeness" makes you sound like some alt-right troll. Is there beef between the two women that I am unaware of?

Performative wokeness is absolutely a thing and Hollywood is the greatest example you'll find of it in action.

I think most of the backlash seems to be because Portman's production company has never hired a female director other than herself out of I think seven movies.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah yeah the best forms of social justice are calling a rape survivor a coward and putting names on a Dior cape

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Natalie seems like the asshole here. Her company has never hired any women directors besides herself, and McGowan or any survivor should never be shamed for settlements after assaults.

Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

Natalie Portman Responds to Rose McGowan’s Criticism of Her Oscar Dress

Natalie Portman responded to Rose McGowan's social media criticism of her Oscars dress.
Rose McGowan didn't like Natalie Portman's Oscar capes that had the names of snubbed female directors on it. McGowan basically accused Portman of performative wokeness. Portman responded to that shot with some savagery that I did not expect.

RIP Rose McGowan.
I keep going back to the last line of this OP and just shaking my head.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, she implies a rape victim is a coward because said victim doesn't want to relive their trauma in front of the entire world.

Portman can fuck right off with this crap, and so can the OP with their framing of this.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, calling the ones who testify brave isn't the same as shaming the ones who don't.

Edit: I see what people are saying wrt the settlement, but I'm not sure the intent is as viscious as it looks. McGowan still supports the women testifying. I think Portman is just adding her name to that support.

Natalie Portman is not an idiot. She knew exactly what she was doing/saying/implying.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
The thread title made me feel a bit crazy cause I thought that was just a terrible thing to say to a victim.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
if she genuinely didnt mean offense uh...okay i guess

not sure i buy that but i dont claim to know everything about people

still is kind of a deflection from outright responding to the stupid cape thing

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was really confused as to why this was considered "savage." Glad to see I'm not the only one. She sounds like she's victim shaming to me.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty obvious she's calling her a coward for taking money instead of helping get the scumbag a long prison sentence considering he raped and diminished her career.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the type of shit you say when someone pours a gallon of lime juice on an exposed nerve and you come at them with the most hurtful shit you can say.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
User Banned (1 Month): Victim Blaming Rhetoric Over Multiple Posts
Don't dish it if you cant take it. Why does Portman have to sugarcoat and be sensitive towards her taking a payout? She doesn't.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I unironically thought the "names on her dior cape" thing was some kind of twitter joke when I first saw people talking about it lmao. No way in hell does Portman come out looking good in this.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Rose McGowan has been on some clown shit for awhile, but this is a garbage response from Natalie Portman.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Both of them come off as assholes, Portman probably moreso.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Her production company Handsomecharlie films and their directors:
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Burr Steers
  • No Strings Attached: Ivan Reitman
  • Jane Got a Gun: Gavin O'Connor
  • Hesher: Spencer Susser
  • Love And Other Impossible Pursuits: Don Roos
  • Eating Animals: Christopher Dillon Quinn
  • Foxy Trotter: Chris Pryonski
  • Eve (short): Natalie Portman
  • A Tale of Love and Darkness: Natalie Portman
I mean I like her, but this isn't it.
To be fair, Jane Got a Gun was supposed to be directed by Lynne Ramsay but she left the first day of production. Not a good look overall though

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This IS savage... but not with the positive connotation it's been used with as of late.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty obvious she's calling her a coward for taking money instead of helping get the scumbag a long prison sentence considering he raped and diminished her career.

I don't think there's any argument on what she means, just that it's such an unbelievably shitty thing to say - and I'm surprised that she'd say it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which she has been incredibly public about for years at this point. Do you even remotely understand what trial entails for a rape victim? There is a reason why most people never come forward. This is textbook victim blaming, it's disgusting, and you should be ashamed of posting this.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So Rose accuses Natalie of being a hypocrite and Natalie accuses Rose of being a sellout.

This is a lose-lose situation. Nobody is in the right here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Both lose here.

Rose shouldn't have criticized Natalie for her outfit. She was fucking presenting the Best Director Award ffs, it was a great way to get her point across.

Natalie's response is absolute shit though for shaming a rape victim for accepting a settlement instead of being forced to relive her rape in court.

I think Natalie loses more as Rose's criticism was just kind of petty while Natalie's is just disgusting.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
She can do what she wants. Maybe Rose should have left her alone and kept her name out her mouth.

kEzRTxz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.