• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly would anybody else be equally as happy as if it was a Banjo Kart based of the style of the old Diddy Karts instead of a platformer?
Platformer still #1 desire from me, but a kart racer would be pretty great too. Think of all the characters they can put in it now too with Activisions characters.

Im assuming they only want cartoony characters and not realistic like Doom Guy and Master Chief. But a Banjo, Spyro, Crash, etc kart racer would be pretty sweet.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Honestly would anybody else be equally as happy as if it was a Banjo Kart based of the style of the old Diddy Karts instead of a platformer?
Platformer still #1 desire from me, but a kart racer would be pretty great too. Think of all the characters they can put in it now too with Activisions characters.

Im assuming they only want cartoony characters and not realistic like Doom Guy and Master Chief. But a Banjo, Spyro, Crash, etc kart racer would be pretty sweet.
There would be riots if banjo was finally revived and it was anything but a collectathon platformer.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
You're probably thinking of stories that Retro created a Metroid Prime 1 remake (not a Trilogy remaster) as a warm-up to get staff ready for MP4 development. That rumor started cropping up either last year or the year before.

MPTHD is basically dead as far as talk is concerned.

Nah it was the trilogy for sure.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch ‘is done and Nintendo is holding it’ | VGC

Journalist claims QA resources and potential marketing plans are holding off remaster release…

I'm not saying it's still alive I'm just saying NateDrake isn't even the first person I remember seeing the rumor from.

Oct 27, 2017
Would absolutely take a remake if it leads to something new in a few years time.

I know us on Era here think of B&K fondly, but Microsoft might want to test the waters first.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would have been an amazing surprise and probably my favorite reveal of the year
Now I won't be surprised if it's there, and disappointed if it isn't

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
It really doesnt. Dont want that game held back by the poor switch hardware.

Did you see the reaction for Banjo in Smash? The game on Switch would sell millions and please don't bring up the "It would sell better only on Xbox and PC" because we know that's not true.

And I got every system so don't @ me with port begging, I just want what's best for the possible new Banjo.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Not happening ):

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
With the Microsoft conference focusing on games coming out within the next year, it was unreasonable to expect any Banjo game to show up. I imagine it won't make an appearance for awhile if a Banjo project is indeed in development. This is just going to be one of those cases where we need to be patient and just wait and see what happens. Nate and MVG both claim to have heard from multiple sources that a new Banjo project is coming so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. We'll see what happens. Maybe it will surface in 2023 or 2024.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I personally think a Banjo project makes sense to have as a big reveal at a more platform agnostic showcase, like Opening Night Live or The Game Awards. This was how Perfect Dark was handled. This way you're also showing the project off to the Nintendo fans that have tuned in for that event.

Going forward, I am guessing that Xbox is going to be using their June events for focusing on the near term projects coming to Game Pass, while they use TGAs for reveals and more distant announcements.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I dont know how I missed this thread. Just want to say I dont believe it cause I simply dont see who could be making it.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how I missed this thread. Just want to say I dont believe it cause I simply dont see who could be making it.
MS is shopping around nearly every unused IP they have to interested parties. If anyone makes a good pitch for a game, like KI, then MS will approve/consider it. It's not really much of an industry secret. No game is off the table. It's purely dependent on a developer expressing interest.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't the N64 kids grown up and entered the industry by this point?

Like the Genesis kids who spent their childhood/early adulthood making Sonic ROM hacks?

Who is the Banjo equivalent of Taxman?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Not to be rude or offensive but that's a very narrow minded take. It could anyone. Plus it might be years before we get an official word on the project.
I mean we don't even know what Playtonic have been doing since Impossible Lair released in 2019. And I'm not even suggesting they are doing Banjo, I just say the possibilities are endless.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Like the Genesis kids who spent their childhood/early adulthood making Sonic ROM hacks?

If they do it I am interested in what a Banjo game would be in 202X.

The game was ahead of its time in 1997. But so much has changed in the last 25 years.

Making a game around the character without knowing what the game should be is what Sonic is these days. Though that still sells pretty well and has an audience but thats not what I want to see.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They could have shopped it to Toys for Bob as a 3rd party before they become first party.

If this and Shadowrun are real, I'm going to be very very happy lol
I think I mentioned it in the Xbox OT: wouldnt it be easier and cheaper for Xbox to wait for the deal to close in that case?

But yeah, it will very much be a Xbox/MS thing to do 😂

I could be making it if someone shows me how
Count on me for game design 👍

its being made by Rare under the codename Everwild but sadly it's never coming out
That definitely makes sense 😂

There's tons of developers poping out everywhere. It could be one we have no idea about.
Not to be rude or offensive but that's a very narrow minded take. It could anyone. Plus it might be years before we get an official word on the project.
I mean we don't even know what Playtonic have been doing since Impossible Lair released in 2019. And I'm not even suggesting they are doing Banjo, I just say the possibilities are endless.
Yes, of course, there are near infinite possibilities and I dont know about many of them for sure. I just meant that I cant really think of any.

the Yooka Laylee team.
I think they have publicy said they arent making a game of the franchise but I think that was some time ago and yeah, who knows?...

I really liked Impossible Lair.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, and they're a major buying power if done well.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Playtonic would work imo. Just to be clear I didn't like the Yooka Laylee approach but they got better with Impossible Lair and if Microsoft were funding the project they could have additional support and more experienced people.
Then again we would have probably known from job listings and stuff of the team got significantly bigger.
Anyway ideally I'd want Gregg Mayles to lead the project but he has stated many times he's not interested.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Loved Yooka Laylee and still consider it the best indie 3D platformer. Playtonic making the next Banjo would be ideal.

Aug 16, 2020
I was super on the 'they simply cant do banjo threeie now, itll be underwhelming whatever they do' train because its a dated genre and source material and as much as i love yooka laylee it is very much chained to its n64 roots, i want more than that – but honestly? have yall played psychonauts 2? it's SO GOOD? i know double fine aint making banjo but just the fact that psychonauts 2 managed to bring that n64 energy in the last year in a modern package gives me hopes for a future banjo, it can be made and it can be awesome

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I was super on the 'they simply cant do banjo threeie now, itll be underwhelming whatever they do' train because its a dated genre and source material and as much as i love yooka laylee it is very much chained to its n64 roots, i want more than that – but honestly? have yall played psychonauts 2? it's SO GOOD? i know double fine aint making banjo but just the fact that psychonauts 2 managed to bring that n64 energy in the last year in a modern package gives me hopes for a future banjo, it can be made and it can be awesome

I think Marios continued success in the 3D Platformer genre proves that it absolutely can be done. It's just all about having the right care, idea, budget, and attention put into it. And to a slightly lesser extent Ratchet and Clank. The demand is there. Just so few people are attempting to tackle the genre with the right mindset.

Yooka-Laylee was fine for what it was, but if Playtonic had a larger and proper budget, along with the idea of pushing the genre rather than just making Tooie 2, then it could've been what we all wanted. But it was a crowd funded thing. So it is what it is.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Anyway ideally I'd want Gregg Mayles to lead the project but he has stated many times he's not interested.
I do not think it is that clear cut:

I'd like to think I've got another platformer in me at some point before I retire to a life of gardening and overly ambitious DIY projects

If I ever did another Banjo game I think I would would go for level design that is small and clever, best of both worlds surely?

I actually think that if another Banjo is ever going to be made while Mayles is still at Rare, he would at least take a supervising role.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This! People's infatuation with regurgitation is absurd. We (B-K fans) have been waiting for a new Kazooie game for more than 20 years now, don't give us the one we have been playing for 20 years with better visuals now.
Seconded. Original Banjo (especially the Xbox port) is great as is. Im not a fan of just remaking the same games over and over, especially when there's so few in the series to begin with... Id rather take a brand new Banjo game than a remake.