• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a ML and a Nano vet of ten years XD I love Nanowrimo because it's a better environment. People are encouraging and positive instead of the usual writer crap. We have a local writing group that requires a member fee and they're all so full of themselves that I basically burned my bridges our first meeting. :`)

I'm also a planner and if I don't have a gameplan I flounder during the actual writing portion. The year I went in with only a concept I barely cleared 10k. The concept idea is for a MG series, which, for me, will require a lot more planning because the word counts are so small (20-25k per book) and all the other headaches of a series. I should be planning it right now but I have 12 chapters left to a finished first draft in my current novel and I want to finish it before Nano. (I really wanted to finish it before the writing convention at the end of the week but I'll mention in my pitch I'm in the editing phase and rewriting the last arc. Eehehe....)

As a ML, I start preparing Nano stuff in August and that's late compared to other regions. D: I hold prep sessions in September too.
lets see MG = middle grade? aka targeting 5-8th graders right?

ML = ???

I don't know that one

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I chickened out last year... time to get on this shit this year. Going on the honor system as it is, I take it the 30 days is just specifically for writing... so any prep work (researching, outlines, etc) are okay this mont?

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
lets see MG = middle grade? aka targeting 5-8th graders right?

ML = ???

I don't know that one

You're right; MG=Middle Grade. I did a reread of Animorphs late last year and ever since I've wanted to take a stab at my own (non ghostwritten :p) series. My primary genres are older YA and New Adult so tackling another genre that's both similar and not sounds like a great challenge.

ML= municipal liaison. Most regions have one, though if there's not, there's usually an Elsewhere that will be active. We organize all the local Nano events, hand out the swag/stickers from Headquarters, proselytize Nano to libraries and people, ect.

I want to try and make a hangout this year! They've conflicted with my regions' but this time I'll be sure to not schedule a conflicting write in for at least one.

I chickened out last year... time to get on this shit this year. Going on the honor system as it is, I take it the 30 days is just specifically for writing... so any prep work (researching, outlines, etc) are okay this mont?

Yes! Headquarters calls late September--October #NaNoPrep.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I've played around with it a few times, but 2016 was the first year I tried seriously... and then the election happened and yeah.
Last year I did fine though.
That was my first NaNoWriMo and yeah, my story got real bitter real quick. Still won despite stopping near the end of the first act.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You're right; MG=Middle Grade. I did a reread of Animorphs late last year and ever since I've wanted to take a stab at my own (non ghostwritten :p) series. My primary genres are older YA and New Adult so tackling another genre that's both similar and not sounds like a great challenge.

ML= municipal liaison. Most regions have one, though if there's not, there's usually an Elsewhere that will be active. We organize all the local Nano events, hand out the swag/stickers from Headquarters, proselytize Nano to libraries and people, ect.

I want to try and make a hangout this year! They've conflicted with my regions' but this time I'll be sure to not schedule a conflicting write in for at least one.

Yes! Headquarters calls late September--October #NaNoPrep.
I honestly think if you had written out municipal liaison I still would have had to ask for explanation on what you meant by that lol.
So thanks for explaining what it was and not just writing it meant municipal liaison.

That was my first NaNoWriMo and yeah, my story got real bitter real quick. Still won despite stopping near the end of the first act.
my novemember ended up looking like
s0lfEND.png

so almost 34k words. Had i not been dead to the world for like 2 weeks I likely could have made it to 50k lol.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
I want to do this, but have ran into issuesiss the past, gah, anyone have some planning frameworks for a beginner. Something that includes some novel writing basics, course recommendations, books to read, etc. I'm open to paid resource recommendations as well.

There's some resources at the end of the OP. The one you might want to check out is the snowflake method as that's a very useful and efficient way to atleast start planning your novel.

Yep! You can do as much prepword as you want. It's not until November first that we start our actual writing.

I'll try again this year. Last year was my first attempt, and it went awful. I've read an amazing novel writing book since then, so I feel like I've learned a lot.

That's how I felt the one year I actually won. I read a book about writing subtext and it really helped inspire me to keep going.

I think I'm gonna be a Nanorebel this year. Never finished the thing I was working on last year, so this is my chance to get another 100+ page chunk done, because I still really want to finish it.

I skipped last year but I am in with a vengeance this year, it will be my fifth attempt and I am determined to win this year.

I've tried to do this for 5 years now. THIS IS GOING TO BE MY YEAR!

Can't wait! I've set an hour aside each day starting November to go all in.

I'm in. And this year I really really will finish something that can be called at least novel-ish.

ALL OF YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T BE SCARED OF NANO! MAKE NANO SCARED OF YOU!!!!!!

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would participate in NaNo. I've done it for the past five or six years (And even finished it one year.)

But I've been writing a book for the better part of the year and the first draft is like 2/3rds done. I'm not sure I can put that aside for a month, and I don't want to start from this point in the book for the 50k mark becuase A) it doesn't have 50k words left in it and B) NaNos are by definition rush jobs, and that isn't something I want to inflict on this book.

Hmmmmmm.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't participate, but I will. Still haven't published my novel from last year and I started writing another one in the same universe a few months ago and it's almost done. So if I do this I'll have three unpublished novels sitting in a Dropbox. Which is weird for me because I've published dozens of novellas over the years.

Honestly, I'm a little scared since I've been earning a living in the shadows for so long. Publishing under my real name fills me with anxiety. But I'll have to do it one day because these novels, this universe, are my end game.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I made Nano my bitch last year, this year will be a fight, but next year I will make it my bitch again, lol.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Just as an FYI I've got people names up. I put the hesitant people on the list even if they didn't give an exact confirmation cause like come on! What's the harm in trying, ya know? Also below is a list of all the previous winners in case people are curious or want to relive their past accomplishment. Again, if there's an error like a misspelled name, you changed your username in the move, or you're not on the list, just send me a message and I'll fix it up.

The Previous Winners said:
Aaron
adj_noun
Aerocrane
Aiii
Aiustis
Alcoremortis
Alien Bob
Anslon
Aon
Aquinos
Ashes
Azih
bakemono
bard
bbsting120
BDS
BeesEight
bengraven
BenjaminBirdie
bjork
BlazingDarkness
Blue Ninja
bluepolicebox
BlueSteel
BorkBork
Burbeting
Buttchin-n-Bones
Cade
Carlisle
Carlsojo
Ceebs
Charlotte Lucas
CheesecakeRecipe
Chikor
Collete
Conan-san
Corasaur
CorporateClown
Cowlick
Croll
Cryptozoologist
Cyan
Cyberglade
CyclopsRock
Dandy Crocodile
Dedication Through Light
deli
Delio
djplaeskool
Dolla Dolla
Dougstyles
Dresden
drowsy
DumbNameD
Ela Hadrun
Epcott
EverythingShiny
Evilisk
Exotoro
Fable
FairyD
Ferulci
Figboy79
FlowersisBritish
FutureLarking
Gazoinks
Geido
Ghostofst4rm4n
GoemonTheNinja
GoncaloCCastro
Great Rumbler
Grimløck
grudy
GSR
Heroin Cat
Hop
Hopeford
Incendiary
irriadin
Jabronium
javadoze
Jedeye Sniv
Jintor
Joe
John Dunbar
JonnyDBrit
joshcryer
Juneau Joe
Kalentan
Kalor
Karu
King Alamat
Kitsunelaine
koam
Korigama
kunu
Larpington
lastflowers
LegendX48
LiamExe
Linkark07
LuffyZoro
lupin23rd
Man God
matthewwhatever
MaximumSpider
meijiko
MetalMagus
Mike M
MilkBeard
Misanthropy
Mister Wilhelm
Moonkid
Motion Picture Soundtrack
Mr. Snrub
mu cephei
multivac
Musha_Soturi
n0b
NameUser
Narag
Nert
Nezumi
Niblet
noi5e
Norua
Nudull
Obscured
Oldschoolgamer
Omikaru
Ourobolus
Oyashiro-Sama
Parvaati
Penguin
petethepanda
Petit Melon
Pirateluigi
pitcairn55
PKthndr
plagiarize
Plasticine
Primethius
Prince Aren
PumpkinPieAddict
Rampage
RedBoot
Regulus Tera
RetroGamer42
Rezbit
RoyaleDuke
Run_64bit
Ruupa
Ruuppa
Saturday
Scalemail Ted
Sch1sm
Schlocky
Schlomo
ScribbleD
SephriJ
Shizzlee
Silent Protagonist
Sketchsanchez
Skilletor
Sloane
SmarterUnconscious
Sober
Song of Fire
Sonicbug
Sorastitch
Souplak
Spruchy
SquiddyCracker
sqwarlock
Stars_and_Snows
Tangent
The Experiment
The Iron Chancellor
The Scollard
TheSeks
tiggerkiddo
timppis
Timu
toddhunter
toythatkills
UCBooties
Unicorn
Vagabundo
Valerie Cherish
Verdre
viciouskillersquirrel
Voras
W-00
Wanace
Ward
William
Wilsongt
WJD
WriterGK
Wurst
Wyndstryker
Xaszatm
xeris
Xita
Yaweee
Yeef
YesNOnoNOYes
zaryn
Zelias
ZenaxPure
ZephyrFate
ZeroRay
Zulux21

Last edited:

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
This post is for people word counts. Those in blue are previous winners. If something about yours isn't right, shoot me a message and I'll fix it as quick as I can.

Just as an FYI I've got people names up. I put the hesitant people on the list even if they didn't give an exact confirmation cause like come on! What's the harm in trying, ya know? Also below is a list of all the previous winners in case people are curious or want to relive their past accomplishment. Again, if there's an error like a misspelled name, you changed your username in the move, or you're not on the list, just send me a message and I'll fix it up.

Ugh, just seeing that big fat zero next to my name is giving me palpitations already.

Btw thanks for creating the thread OP, you're doing a smashing job!

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
:cracks knuckles:

Let's try this again.

I promised I'd buy myself a PS4 if the win, so maybe I can finally get myself to do it.

javadoze

Oct 25, 2017
sign
me
up

(Though I'm in the middle of trying to write/create a visual novel, I'm not sure Nano is a sane idea for me this year..)

Oct 25, 2017
Got my new rainbow mechanical keyboard ready for my gay romance nano fanfic, hype.

Actually I think this is the third year in a row that Ive got a new keyboard and mouse for nano.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Gonna try this again this year. Only made it to 30k last year although I did succeed the year before that. Since all my midterms are happening this month, I won't have to worry about them in November which (hopefully) means more time for writing.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in. I dont think ill get anywhere tho. I never do.

I have been thinking of some world building tho.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I've been doing nothing but electronic notes this year rather than writing them down in a journal. It's been pretty good actually. I really appreciate being able to make fluid additions on the fly to previous chapters when I come up with new details. Feeling really confident this year.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. It's here again. Fucking time, man. It just doesn't know when to stop.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I got something ready this time. So I just need to do a little bit more outlining. Of course...hopefully i get it done.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I've been doing nothing but electronic notes this year rather than writing them down in a journal. It's been pretty good actually. I really appreciate being able to make fluid additions on the fly to previous chapters when I come up with new details. Feeling really confident this year.
I don't misplace texts to myself. I misplace my paper notes all the time :P

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
I don't misplace texts to myself. I misplace my paper notes all the time :P

See the issue with my written notes boiled down to me not having enough space. I was terrible about allocating enough pages for the necessary amount of notes I needed. As I continue with electronic notes, they continue to be a huuuuuuuge help. It has been a while since I've been like suuuuuper excited for what I'm doing a month in advance.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
See the issue with my written notes boiled down to me not having enough space. I was terrible about allocating enough pages for the necessary amount of notes I needed. As I continue with electronic notes, they continue to be a huuuuuuuge help. It has been a while since I've been like suuuuuper excited for what I'm doing a month in advance.
I jotted down notes at work, in a notebook that I would tear the pages out. I had a stack of like 40 of them on my PC at one point that I knocked over and some of the notes didn't make sense unless paired with the other notes written at the same time, so it took me a bit to get them back in order.

granted I sometimes get really weird texts that I don't know what they mean.

I do get amused sometimes when my swipe doesn't get some of the learned names right and instead puts bro or lazy :P

It's also fun sometimes to see bits of the texts one of my recent notes was like 50 words long but the start was "You fucking idiot. Punch jack" which is what showed up at the top of my phone which made me chuckle.

I'm glad to hear you are excited though. Hopefully that keeps up, and even if it doesn't, never forget we love you :)

I'm on the flip side, I'm basically the least motivated I've been in a long time. I'm at something I've actually been looking forward to doing for a while, but it weaves so many threads together, and I didn't take good enough notes, so I need to hunt down all the information I need (and there is a lot... I've been setting up some upcoming scenes for 7 books lol) This is what I get for starting with a pretty stereotypical female lead, slowly changing her over 6 books, and slowly detailing out bits of her character history changing her from a character that mostly went along with things, to one that is a driving force of the story and now are on the final part of that character arc where everything comes together lol. I keep sitting here going... how can I do this justice...

This character arc, these events, have been part of the foundation of my story for the last 3 years, and if I never get around to finishing them I can't screw them up >.>

It likely wouldn't be so bad if it was the only thing going on, but I have a number of other things going on as well that also requires me to keep track of a ton of details. Too many... there's no way I will keep them all straight at this stage. Here's hoping I don't screw some of them up so badly that I can't fix them.

and then there is the other project, which I actually have to find time to skim 50k words to remember what I set up as it's likely a bad idea to do 50k words of story, and just pick up again only remembering some major details >.>

Mostly, I'm getting overwhelmed with my normal efforts, so thinking about doing two projects again for nano is just crazy... but I've found repeatedly that I tend to welcome the crazy.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I will be trying again this year, I have just started planning a story and feel quite good about it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Great job, Flowers! It's tempting me when it shouldn't. I'll use October to fantasize about it and plot and then decide at the 11th hour if I want to fall on my face in Nov. :D
hey, falling on your face is better than falling on your butt.
it means you are falling forward. Which who knows... might just end up getting you the last little bit you need to cross the finish line :P

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to write a summary for my story, first attempt was detailed and like 500 words and spoiled everything, but looking at some other books I guess sub100 word summaries are where its at?!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to write a summary for my story, first attempt was detailed and like 500 words and spoiled everything, but looking at some other books I guess sub100 word summaries are where its at?!
I think what you want is a back of the book blurb, not a summery.
A summery is suppose to spoil the book as it's supposed to cover what the book is about.
the blurb is just supposed to do something like present the main conflict and make people want to read about how they will resolve it.
(at least as far as I know :P)

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried two or three times in the past and failed. I'm going to give it a shot this year, I've got an idea I've been throwing around in my brain and I'm excited to see where it takes me, so here's hoping I can make it to the finish line.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what you want is a back of the book blurb, not a summery.
A summery is suppose to spoil the book as it's supposed to cover what the book is about.
the blurb is just supposed to do something like present the main conflict and make people want to read about how they will resolve it.
(at least as far as I know :P)
Okay that makes sense. I went on AMZN and browsed several books and and am using one as a guide to write mine. I love how straight to the point some publishers are, though most seem to follow the same sort of pattern. underlined the copied phrases.

mine

Ascension follows Kaminari, Kirishima, and Todoroki as they navigate the hurdles of protecting the visitors and residents of the massive twin towers that stand as a testament to societies resilience in a world that was once rocked by the League of Villains. Crime levels, severely abrogated due to the leagues downfall, has resulted in a severe lack of reliance or even necessity of heroes. However, everyone is not content to let society go in this direction. A new threat is coming in the form of a seemingly unknown, yet familiar, force that is hellbent on using the tower as an example of the necessity of heroes in this post-heroes world. To face it, our protagonists must find a way to overcome their insecurities and doubts to find the strength they didn't know they possessed.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
I am up to chapter 6 in planning for a weird mix of horror/dark fantasy/Souls-like that I'm personally really digging. But I've hit a kinda weird problem where the problem is solved already. I solved the novels central "problem" in chapter 4, so now I'm trying to think of what to do next. There is a place to go, a theoretical end already on the table, but those are long-term and I'm trying to debate between "the problem wasn't actually solved," which feels like the logical progression vs "A lot of people are pissed that you solved the problem actually. They thought they had more time to stop you...." I personally like the later more, but I'm trying to figure out how to actually do that in a way I like.

Oct 25, 2017
I am up to chapter 6 in planning for a weird mix of horror/dark fantasy/Souls-like that I'm personally really digging. But I've hit a kinda weird problem where the problem is solved already. I solved the novels central "problem" in chapter 4, so now I'm trying to think of what to do next. There is a place to go, a theoretical end already on the table, but those are long-term and I'm trying to debate between "the problem wasn't actually solved," which feels like the logical progression vs "A lot of people are pissed that you solved the problem actually. They thought they had more time to stop you...." I personally like the later more, but I'm trying to figure out how to actually do that in a way I like.
Wow give me your planning skills. lol

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm down! I am hoping to write a novel and the turn it into a visual novel text, but I have get it all written first! Then I can worry about... datable boys.