• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
WC: 23364

This week has been horrible at work for me, full of stress and way too many hours (I'm edging close to 70 hours, which is quite rare for me). I have no idea what changed today, maybe it's because I took a day off from writing yesterday, but today went amazingly well and I'm so happy. I was in such a rut lately as I tried to figure out my antagonist's chapters as I was writing him but it just wasn't working out so I moved back to the MC and it was a breeze. I'm back up with the benchmark at least.

Congrats to all the winners so far! I hate that I'm not active in the thread at all this year but I've been in a bad mood all week >_>

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 53894

Some days I really don't want to write but then I force myself in that chair and afterward wonder why I didn't want to write because I had such a good time.
I've done this enough times now, that I know that how I feel before I put on my headphones and open up Word has zero bearing on what I can get done, or how much I can enjoy it.

Hitting that first letter on the keyboard is the hardest part. Next thing I know I've already written a few hundred words and I'm at full flow, completely comfortable with what I'm going to get done in that session.

I've found that it gets easier to force myself the more times I experience that. I've only really procrastinated a couple of times so far this month.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
WC: 25452

Still going nicely. Two separate storylines, one going on continually other in small bursts. Death count: 3 including the last living dragon in the British isles.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Took a couple hours to think about where I next want to go with my story and I'm pretty excited about what I'm planning on doing. Back to dark souls style kingdoms and sword fights with cryptic badasses.

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 24,506

I had to write a murder scene where the inconsistencies in the past chapters somehow turned into a series of events that now mostly make sense. I think.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 21,314

Making steady progress. Closing the gap slowly. I have reached a major inciting incident, so this will be a nice stream of events coming now.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 41329

Will I 'win' before the end of the week or not? It's going to be down to the wire. My average daily amount should put me over the line, but sometimes chapters just want to be shorter (like the one tonight), and I really struggle to keep going when I'm over the daily goal and hit the end of a chapter. It's just such a good point to step away.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've done this enough times now, that I know that how I feel before I put on my headphones and open up Word has zero bearing on what I can get done, or how much I can enjoy it.

Hitting that first letter on the keyboard is the hardest part. Next thing I know I've already written a few hundred words and I'm at full flow, completely comfortable with what I'm going to get done in that session.

I've found that it gets easier to force myself the more times I experience that. I've only really procrastinated a couple of times so far this month.

Yep, exactly. A lot of what NaNo is is forming a consistent habit.

50003, with a beginning, middle and end. The lightest of novels.

Congrats!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The stat page still thinks I'm 300 something words short but the homepage reports it accurately. I tried forcing myself to do another 300 but no, I finished the damn story and it's perfectly fine as a draft here and there. I'm positive a full write would add another 5-10k words as my style was definitely light on connective tissue here and there. Also I'm almost positive I have a glaring plot hole around the middle of act 2 but who cares, no big deal. It's not national make a perfect book in one fell swoop month.

1 gift from zulux21

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from zulux21 zulux21!

This is a weeklong raffle that will expire in one week. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

zulux21 said:
I guess I will do another giveaway even though only one person bothered to enter last time >.>

more books this time because you all are writers so you logically read too.

anyways... funny thing. I don't remember what is in this bundle, it's books and I know the bundle it was from https://www.indiegamebundles.com/the-humble-book-bundle-bundle-of-bundles/ I just don't know what was in which tier but know it's the $1 tier

it's some subsection of https://i.imgur.com/Ho2QJZp.png as I bought the whole bundle for myself lol.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: HUMBLE BOOK BUNDLE: BUNDLE OF BUNDLES $1 tier - Won by W-00 W-00 (1 entry)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes write without Nano, lol.
giphy.gif

sometimes is not a habit :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Better than nothing at least, so there's that!!!
Indeed but...
i0Gt4mD.png

you claimed to be perfect at having consistent habits. Something you have now admitted is only sometimes which means you aren't perfect.

If you are lying about this you also must be lying about my client, which means in fact, YOU ARE THE ONE THAT SLAYED NANOWRIMO
06d610a421ae12983d944f8400b913a7537add3a_hq.gif

:P

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed but...
i0Gt4mD.png

you claimed to be perfect at having consistent habits. Something you have now admitted is only sometimes which means you aren't perfect.

If you are lying about this you also must be lying about my client, which means in fact, YOU ARE THE ONE THAT SLAYED NANOWRIMO
06d610a421ae12983d944f8400b913a7537add3a_hq.gif

:P
That was an obvious joke, lol.=p

But truth of the matter is that I have done some stories here and there and would even let people read them. I mean, how else would I had been able to do Nano so well later on after all!=O

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That was an obvious joke, lol.=p

But truth of the matter is that I have done some stories here and there and would even let people read them. I mean, how else would I had been able to do Nano so well later on after all!=O
I'm hoping you realize my bad ace attorney parody is also a joke :P

Officially at the halfway point!
OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Heads up folks, we are officially at the halfway point! To those of you keeping pace, CONGRATS YOU'VE GOT HALF A NOVEL ON YOUR HANDS! Already that's a huge accomplishment!

To the people a bit behind but still trying to catch up, you've got this! You can still hit that 50k!

To those who've given up on hitting 50k, try and keep writing! Sure you may not win this year, but every little bit you do are some words you wouldn't have otherwise. The important thing is you're writing! In that regard, any words you get on the page are good words!

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
I've been keeping a steady pace, but I'm either going to have to take a break and do some planning, or start jumping around to later parts of the book, because I've run into a spot I haven't figured out a plan for yet.

WC: 25894

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 22446

I went to some writers showcase yesterday, and I've been feeling really reinvigorated today (the showcase wasn't NaNo related at all, but it's put me back into a writing mood).

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
WC: 25262

Over the half way mark, feels good. I am also starting off on what feels like its going to be a fun section to write so I am hoping i get a lot more done today.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WC: 55,353

Just spent some time backing up my stuff. I should do it more often so this doesn't take 30 minutes every time lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I use Word, so I just make all my files on One Drive and then I don't even have to remember to hit save. Works for me :)
I write i n word and once I finish a chapter transfer it to scrivener. I save my word files locally, and then back up my word and scrivener docs every few days.
at the start of each month I take my word docs and scrivener and create a password protected zip file which then that and that alone gets uploaded to my online file holder of choice as I don't trust that someone won't eventually get access to my cloud storage lol.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm still at 5010, it seems the whole world is trying to stop me from doing this. My son and wife were sick last week so I wasn't able to get any done, then I had a day in lieu that I was using Friday to take my dog to the vet then I was going to spend the rest of the day writing. My mother called me Thursday afternoon telling me she was just admitted to hospital...

So I've spent time with her because she doesn't have anyone else to be with her at the moment. She is home now, still not doing to good (needs a new hip) but she can sort of walk slowly around, luckily my brother who lives with her returns tomorrow so she won't be alone. I live on the other side of the city from her.

I'm still not giving up, I think I might just extend the deadline to Christmas...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still at 5010, it seems the whole world is trying to stop me from doing this. My son and wife were sick last week so I wasn't able to get any done, then I had a day in lieu that I was using Friday to take my dog to the vet then I was going to spend the rest of the day writing. My mother called me Thursday afternoon telling me she was just admitted to hospital...

So I've spent time with her because she doesn't have anyone else to be with her at the moment. She is home now, still not doing to good (needs a new hip) but she can sort of walk slowly around, luckily my brother who lives with her returns tomorrow so she won't be alone. I live on the other side of the city from her.

I'm still not giving up, I think I might just extend the deadline to Christmas...
sounds like a totally fair extension to me.