• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 26200

I realized today that I really just struggle with character and location descriptions. I don't want to overly indulge, but everything else feels sparse in a way. My character descriptions might as well not exist though...

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 60105

My novel was supposed to end around this word count but it still has to keep going!!!=O

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 26200

I realized today that I really just struggle with character and location descriptions. I don't want to overly indulge, but everything else feels sparse in a way. My character descriptions might as well not exist though...
we had a talk about this stuff last night on discord.

Flowers suggested making documents for characters and locations where you just word vomit everything you can think of about them to get the details down and then figure out what you should put in the story.

meanwhile I tend to suck at thinking about such things so I tend to favor searching the web for pictures that are close to what I would like for things and making notes of those pictures as well as what is different in my stuff compared to the picture. as it's far easier for me to write descriptions of stuff while staring at something like that.

note: flowers is much better at this stuff than me :P

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
When I write again I would be on the chapter that I wanted to actually do for Nano before 50k as the tone is the darkest in the series and would change how the characters react going forward as well.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
So how's everyone doing?
I accidentally wrote myself into a spot where I need an encounter, but I don't know what sort of human/humanoid enemy my group will face.
They're in a land that was abandoned because it was cursed to suffer eternal winter. They broke the curse, but the weather has some inertia so it's still quite cold and covered in deep snow. Breaking the curse was a big and obvious thing, so everyone knows the curse has been undone and the macguffin the heroes went in to retrieve is now available for stealing. But I already had them encounter a group after the macguffin. I need a new enemy. Some group worthy of a boss encounter to close out this section of the story.

I'm thinking maybe evil cultists, but they wouldn't actually want the macguffin my group has so I'm not sure why they'd fight.

Hm... I've been thinking that the novel I'm working on now reads like it's the second in a series (when I haven't written the first yet), so maybe a "returning" antagonist?

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
I write i n word and once I finish a chapter transfer it to scrivener. I save my word files locally, and then back up my word and scrivener docs every few days.
at the start of each month I take my word docs and scrivener and create a password protected zip file which then that and that alone gets uploaded to my online file holder of choice as I don't trust that someone won't eventually get access to my cloud storage lol.

I write in Scrivener, and then every time I close a file or quit Scrivener, it automatically makes a backup copy, so I set it to store those backup copies on iCloud (up to the five most recent backups of each project).

Historically, I didn't really care about the rest of my hard drive because I didn't keep anything on it that needed saving in the event of a failed drive. But now that I'm writing, I've got book covers, artwork, notes, and stuff like that, and I got tired of manually copying it all to iCloud, so I just set up a Time Machine backup to an external drive. Now, if the computer fails, I can just move the hard drive to my laptop and copy off the files I need. I think I want to set up a second hard drive, though, and rotate them. That should cover every circumstance except for being able to retrieve my notes and artwork if the house burns down and takes both drives with it...so I guess I still need to keep copying those to iCloud.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 44779

Tick tick tick tick on the clock, yeah life's too short for me to stop, oh baby, my time is running out.

La Roux has been top of my play list for this novel so far.

Things are humming along really nicely. Act 2... well I'm not sure exactly how many chapters it has left, nor exactly how many chapters this will end up having, but I'm starting to get a better handle on Act 4, so I think we're going to land this plane... probably sometime next month.

Will I 'win' by the end of the day on Sunday? I guess we'll find out.

Edit: Oh, and I guess that's 15 days down, 15 to go. Good luck everyone.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 29000

I'd been hoping to hit 30k today, but for the past few hours I've been writing with one hand, which is a lot slower. Still my third best day this time around.
How about starving cannibals?
Thanks for the suggestion, but it wouldn't have fit the tone I wanted to go for. I went with a "returning" enemy.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 29324

This chapter I've been writing today and yesterday is my one of my favorite yet. Got to write a fun nightmare sequence, and I'm having two separate groups of characters coming together. I came into this Nano feeling unsure of myself, but I am pleased with how this story is unfolding

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
WC: 28945

I'm pretty happy about fleshing out one of my main character's motivations, which admittedly wasn't hard to do considering her characterization could be boiled down to "asshole Korra".

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 23185

This story is coming together very nicely. I just had a scene with a chivalrous cannibal, a spoiled garbage-princess and a kook (who is the protagonist) and it was very, very fun to write

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 47398

Close enough to taste... but today is my wife's birthday and I'm taking her out for the rest of the day, so that will be it until tomorrow.

If I write the same number of words tomorrow that I did today... I'll JUST make it to 50K.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I can't find a dedicated writing community on Era... :(
Does anyone want—or willing—to read my first pass at an agent query letter? *bats eyelashes*

Feb 12, 2018
PA
WC: 27,490

I keep forgetting to update this ^_^; Also feel like I should mention that this is my 3rd NaNoWriMo, and, if I keep it up, will hopefully be my 3rd win.

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 21323
I'm still behind, but I had a 5k day today so I'm working on catching up. I'm hoping to write another 3k tomorrow but it's always difficult for me to find time for writing during the week. Hopefully I won't fall even further behind!

It sounds like you're already on the right track. Frankly, if I wasn't trying to get out words, I'd have stalled out days ago to better plot this thing (and to have less paragraphs about stuff like the pros and cons of different anti aliasing techniques for rendering text), but to keep up my pace, I've got to go with the version of the story that's in front of me, not stop to try and find the idealized version of it that isn't.

My first NaNo in 2016 only had a few rough spots, plotting wise. The third act (of five). I had to toss out a chapter and a half and change tracks (I know you're not supposed to do that with NaNo, but it was soooo not working). My second in 2017 around October 20th, I had a spark of inspiration that answered all my questions, and by November 1st I had all the twists and turns plotted out and ready to go.

This year I have not been so lucky, and it's been a different experience. However, I think I get too obsessed with the 'perfect' plot, and when projects get away from me it takes me years to start a new one. NaNo isn't letting that happen. I've got to keep going. Maybe it won't be the best thing I wrote, but it'll be finished and I can move on to something else if I don't think this draft is worth revisiting. Maybe I'm underselling the idea. My two readers seem very intrigued and into what I've got so far. But either way, so long as I finish it, that's the main thing for me. Early next year I plan on taking that 2017 draft and working it up for self publishing (I took last year off to work up the 2016 draft and self published it earlier this year). Next NaNo? I plan on revisiting a concept I got 100,000 plus words deep into before it got away from me made me afraid to start something new for years.

Because I think NaNo forces me to keep moving forwards. Maybe it won't be the perfect plot structure. Maybe it won't have the most elegant ending. But this years idea is worth exploring, and that shelved concept is worth another go at, even if it means mostly starting over.

Let B follow A and C follow B and don't worry too much about how you get to Z. Your characters will nudge you in directions. Don't second guess it on a NaNo. Keep going. My first act is close to its crescendo. My problematic second act outline is filling up with day to day stuff, character stuff that's just shaken out of exploring the people and situations I set up, and I think I've got enough plot intrigue to soldier on.
Thanks for sharing all this with me. Over the past week I've sat down with Save the Cat! Writes a Novel and hashed out a much better outline that aligns with the 15 plot beats. There's already a lot I know I'm going to change, and I'm throwing out a lot of the words I wrote prior to replotting (but of course, not throwing them out yet, since I still need those words for NaNo :p). But man, it's so much easier to sit down and write words when I know where the story is going. I make a terrible pantser, hah.

I've "won" NaNoWriMo twice before, but I never went back and touched those projects and pretty much just let them die. I'm glad you didn't do that with yours, and that you even went on to self-publish one! That's amazing! Are any of them inspired by Twin Peaks? ;)

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I just scrolled through a few pages on the other site to compare my pace to 2016. Looks like I'm right there 2017 I was a touch slower because the chapters paced out differently and I like to try and do a chapter a day. I was 91,000 for the month. Not sure if I can raise that bar but maybe.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 21323
I'm still behind, but I had a 5k day today so I'm working on catching up. I'm hoping to write another 3k tomorrow but it's always difficult for me to find time for writing during the week. Hopefully I won't fall even further behind!

Thanks for sharing all this with me. Over the past week I've sat down with Save the Cat! Writes a Novel and hashed out a much better outline that aligns with the 15 plot beats. There's already a lot I know I'm going to change, and I'm throwing out a lot of the words I wrote prior to replotting (but of course, not throwing them out yet, since I still need those words for NaNo :p). But man, it's so much easier to sit down and write words when I know where the story is going. I make a terrible pantser, hah.

I've "won" NaNoWriMo twice before, but I never went back and touched those projects and pretty much just let them die. I'm glad you didn't do that with yours, and that you even went on to self-publish one! That's amazing! Are any of them inspired by Twin Peaks? ;)
Hah. So, I generally try to avoid that.

A few major nods are slipping into this one, in the form of character names, and setting the story in Snoqualmie WA where the show was filmed, being the main things. Using Sno as the setting comes more from knowing it so damn well from more than a dozen vacations there. I'm leaning on the places that aren't in the show, but I can't pretend I don't know it because of the series.

A Sheriff's dept plays a major part too, but that comes more from my day job where I work IT at a Sheriff's office.

The novel is about a woman who wakes up missing all her memories that has to not let on that she doesn't know who she is. It's a mystery with very light scifi elements. Thematically it's about how our experiences, our memories, shape us. Would you have the same likes and dislikes without them, or would your tastes stay the same? Would you love your spouse if you skipped the courtship and honeymoon period? That stuff.

She isn't a spy who discovers she is really good at martial arts, but there is a lot of hacking.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
WC: 22203

I was out all day and only got home late, then had some other stuff to check on. =/ I'm not looking forward to being 6k words behind tomorrow. I'll just have to attempt to write a ton till I catch up.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 29033

Didn't have much time at all to write today but I managed to get at least 400 words down.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
WC 26498

I think its kinda nuts how little things can change the writing process. For the last half of my book, I had no idea what I was going to do so I made a very basic ass structure of events. The next four/five chapters I had planned out were a lot less detailed than what I had going in, but after writing the first chapter and adding details, i kinda just went back to them and adjusted them like seaonsing. Since I had new characters they could do stuff to make sure the plot got to where it needed to, since I had a vague idea of characters meeting I could think about ways to make it more interesting. I'm not sure where my "big" moment is going to be for the bombastic end to this book, but with this newish plotting style I'm doing, I feel like its going to come out pretty good tbh.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 31049

30K! Another slow day, because I decided to start writing late. This week may be a little slow for me, but I'll stay on track to finish on the 25th.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 31200

I'm honestly shocked that I got over 2000 words today given how it started out.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 41002

We're in the endgame now.

I felt a bit disheartened the last few days because I know the book sucks but obviously it's a very rough first draft. Just have to power through to 50k and then maybe I'll finish the whole thing and start doing revisions.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
WC 28629

Hit the goal and ending a chapter earlier than i thought.... but probs gonna do more writing tonight since I like my music choice atm.

May 21, 2018
Baltimore MD
WC: 31,800

Today was a tough writing day. Between errands, and season 3 of the Crown, I didn't think I would write as much. But I managed to stay on target. I hope everyone here has had a decent writing day.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 50843

Feels good.

Still maybe only halfway through this novel, and I'm going to try and keep going at this pace. Let's see if that 91K from 2016 can be surpassed. Right now I'm *just* off pace to hit 90K for the month... but we shall see I guess.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
WC: 30474

WC: 41002

We're in the endgame now.

I felt a bit disheartened the last few days because I know the book sucks but obviously it's a very rough first draft. Just have to power through to 50k and then maybe I'll finish the whole thing and start doing revisions.
If it makes you feel any better, the snippet I read of your story makes mine look more like an outline. Actually, no. I take that back. It makes my first draft look like a rambly and repetitive script written by someone who learned English from bootlegged game manuals.

WC: 50843

Feels good.

Still maybe only halfway through this novel, and I'm going to try and keep going at this pace. Let's see if that 91K from 2016 can be surpassed. Right now I'm *just* off pace to hit 90K for the month... but we shall see I guess.

Congratulations!