• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
I learned about this yesterday and decided to give it a shot today. Here's to hoping the stress doesn't cut me short.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Hey. Just noticed there's a nanowrimoer thread.

Hullo all! Nanoer since 2007 here. Writing every year, six time winner.

Last year I went with something of a crossover between thriller and sci-fi and failed absolutely horrendously. So this year I am returning to my forte, which is traditional fantasy.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

Last year I went with something of a crossover between thriller and sci-fi and failed absolutely horrendously. So this year I am returning to my forte, which is traditional fantasy.
Nice, welcome back and I hope you make it this time!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

If you win and Midramble fails...

It's outline crunch time. 6th attempt the charm.

Screw it, it's time! I'm calling it now. I will complete nano for the first time this year and I'll put my money on it.

If I do not win NaNoWriMo this year, I will buy a $10 steam card for every winner. So either I finally win or there goes my game budget for a while hahaha.

you win again MWA HA HA HA HA :P

also......

1 gift from zulux21

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from zulux21 zulux21!

This is a weeklong raffle that will expire in one week. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

zulux21 said:
With one week to go might as well get a giveaway going.

if you don't have the posts, talk about what you plan to write and what not.

What would you do if your fears were hacked? >observer_ is a cyberpunk horror game from Bloober Team, the creators of Layers of Fear. Play as an Observer, the new front line of neural police, as you hack into the jagged minds of the insane.

These are our awesome prizes:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

review for the game.

I know... timing wise I made it so you would win it the first day of nano. I could have done it shorter but.... I wanted to do a week long one :P

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm getting a little nervous about the time commitment the closer this gets. I still haven't decided if I should go for a full 50,000 on my one main story or break it down to a short story and knock out the other ideas I was deciding between to bring it up to 50,000.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So for my NaNoWrimo I'm writing a Tokusatsu (Kamen Rider not Power Rangers) spy story, and its about a newbie spy (who transitions later on) and her mentor who prefer different ways of sneaking:

1.The newbie who is supposed to be inspired by the Thief series values not being seen and heard the most on the way to her objective even if it would be easier if she just knocked out the guards, and only gets into combat as a last resort since before becoming a spy she used to be a paramedic and has never killed a person before.
2. Meanwhile her mentor who is supposed to be inspired by Metal Gear Solid has no qualms with interrogating a guard at gunpoint or even just shooting them to get to her objective, and she likes to make noises to distract people and also disguise herself as stuff (but she strictly refuses to disguise femme fatale type)

What I'm having trouble is on how to even depict sneaking around in prose since I've never read a novel where sneaking is an element, and I don't want the prose to just end up spamming "I slipped past the guards without them even noticing me". So do you guys have any tips and/or novels where sneaking is a big element?

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I have nothing better to do with my time, I'm in. I've got a week to search through my archive of random ideas to figure something out.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
f8ebbb45-99f0-4464-8b35-05fb56d896da.jpg

how many winners did we have last year again?

Edit: looks like we've got 20-ish previous winners on sign up already

Coming in late to say last year we had 37 winners (not all of them showed back up in the thread this time around) which was more than the year before with 32 winners. We also (atm) have less participants this time around but I've also been a bit more selective about who I put on the list, only adding people that made it clear they were going to participate and not just most people who posted like I did last year.

Also no worries about the failed collaboration. Things happen, i get it. No need to duck your head, your welcome back to the CWC at any time.

Midramble's generous bet

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
f8ebbb45-99f0-4464-8b35-05fb56d896da.jpg

Coming in late to say last year we had 37 winners (not all of them showed back up in the thread this time around) which was more than the year before with 32 winners. We also (atm) have less participants this time around but I've also been a bit more selective about who I put on the list, only adding people that made it clear they were going to participate and not just most people who posted like I did last year.

Also no worries about the failed collaboration. Things happen, i get it. No need to duck your head, your welcome back to the CWC at any time.

Thanks haha. Well that being the case I'll do this, I'll setup a raffle for $10 steam credit for 4 winners (if I win) to motivate people and keep the $10 for all winners if I lose making the win-lose differential $40 to $400. Motivation all around.

How.... does giftbot work?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what is this reeding?

Edit: Ah, but you can't set the raffle to a specific list of users it seems? For example adding the winners to the raffle at the end of NaNoWriMo? Or am I just bad a reading?
You can set it to "no lurkers", in this thread, and report any spammers afterward? Or just do a random.org giveaway instead of the bot.
or run the bot without a code ? Eh, there's options.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
You can set it to "no lurkers", in this thread, and report any spammers afterward? Or just do a random.org giveaway instead of the bot.
or run the bot without a code ? Eh, there's options.

I'll figure it out either way as we get closer to the end of November. That said, I'm sticking by it so it can go in the OP if OP wants. $40 or $400.

Write
or
Die.

Lets goooooo

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm gonna have to bow out, unfortunately. I don't want to, because I was very excited for this attempt, but to make a long story short, a good friend's health has taken severely dramatic turns for the worse in the past month, and I want to spend as much time as possible with them while I still can.

But there's always 2020. I'll be back for that one

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm gonna have to bow out, unfortunately. I don't want to, because I was very excited for this attempt, but to make a long story short, a good friend's health has taken severely dramatic turns for the worse in the past month, and I want to spend as much time as possible with them while I still can.

But there's always 2020. I'll be back for that one

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope things work out well your friend, it's hard when some one you care about has an illness.

There is always next year, and the year after.

Don't forget to look after yourself as well.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Alright peeps.

Here's a really short synopsis.

There is an old abandoned bookstore where all the creatures from unfinished tales live. Small man, no bigger than a size of thumb called Baron P.E. Pumpernickel Von Somersault is the unofficial head of the bookstore. He travels through stories old and new finding help for the inhabitants. They get entangled into a story that threatens existence stories as well as our world itself.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Alright peeps.

Here's a really short synopsis.

There is an old abandoned bookstore where all the creatures from unfinished tales live. Small man, no bigger than a size of thumb called Baron P.E. Pumpernickel Von Somersault is the unofficial head of the bookstore. He travels through stories old and new finding help for the inhabitants. They get entangled into a story that threatens existence stories as well as our world itself.
Heh I love it, especially with that name. I wonder how it will all work though, should be a fun Nano for you.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna have to be really strategic with my writing this year as I'm traveling a fair bit throughout November.

Thankfully though I'm continuing a novel rather than starting from scratch so I don't have to get over that initial hump when the wheels need oiling.

How's everyone's preparation going? Are you plotting or pantsing?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to be really strategic with my writing this year as I'm traveling a fair bit throughout November.

Thankfully though I'm continuing a novel rather than starting from scratch so I don't have to get over that initial hump when the wheels need oiling.

How's everyone's preparation going? Are you plotting or pantsing?

Always plotting. I'm not super strict with my outlines, but I need to have some sort of direction.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Alright, mark me officially in again. My goal is to finish the novel I worked on last year - I've been doing small tweaks to it over the last year but haven't committed to serious writing (like, AT ALL) since then - seems like it's the time to push through that second half.
Magus I think we are in the same position.
I did Camp NaNo this summer and pretty much banged out almost a half of the novel and since then I've been tweaking and writing bits here and there but haven't really committed much time to it.

I've wrote a few pages per week but I'm eager to prioritize my writing again rather than my drab day job.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Always plotting. I'm not super strict with my outlines, but I need to have some sort of direction.
Sounds like me, Xita!

When I first started my novel I actually drew a storyboard in my sketchbook, very crude, simple drawings, but enough to flesh out a ten chapter plot. It gave me a nice skeleton to work from, and of course, things snowballed rather quickly when I started actually writing (it's now likely to surpass 45 chapters).

I find a loose framework fits me best. I don't like overly plotting because I end up writing myself into a corner, or it can just sap the fun out of writing if we're just joining the dots between plot points.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Magus I think we are in the same position.
I did Camp NaNo this summer and pretty much banged out almost a half of the novel and since then I've been tweaking and writing bits here and there but haven't really committed much time to it.

I've wrote a few pages per week but I'm eager to prioritize my writing again rather than my drab day job.

I hear you man. Part of it I think is I need the commitment to work on it above everything else - otherwise other concerns and responsibilities (and TBH time wasting internet browsing) keep getting in the way. Not only will the structure I think help push things along for November, but I attended a NaNo regional meeting on Wednesday. I don't know if I'll be able to make it to many meetups through the month, but I'm hoping that added sense of community and commitment helps things.

Speaking of community, I'd have never gotten this far if it wasn't for this thread and for FlowersisBritish pushing things along - so muchas gracias for everything!

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Hello again fellow wannabe writers. Here for my fourth or so attempt at nano. I got 40k last year so I'm hoping to get at least to 45 if not 50 this year.

I had some success writing shorter stories last year rather than going for a full novel, so I'm trying that again.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Hello again fellow wannabe writers. Here for my fourth or so attempt at nano. I got 40k last year so I'm hoping to get at least to 45 if not 50 this year.

I had some success writing shorter stories last year rather than going for a full novel, so I'm trying that again.

You've got this! Also I always apprecaite someone doing short stories. They're a good way to hit that 50k.

Speaking of community, I'd have never gotten this far if it wasn't for this thread and for @FlowersisBritish pushing things along - so muchas gracias for everything!

De Nada

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So I was going to write a short synopsis for the story, but I feel like I tend to over explain a lot of things. So this is quite a bit more than I was planning on writing for this post. This is the essentially the first two acts of the story.

The story follows a man named Stanley Nelson whose only dream is to win the academy award for best actor. Detailing his journey from his childhood obsession to his middling success as a background extra. Stanley believes he is an amazing actor and the only thing holding him back his is ever increasing age. His second obsession is his vanity, with dozens of beauty and skincare treatments applied he is always searching for the next thing to help him appear younger so he can get those elusive leading roles.

This leads Stanley to a chance meeting with a mysterious fellow who reveals his true identity to be that of an ancient race of real vampires, the real beings the old stories were based on. His offer is a simple subscription service, delivered every week to his house all he needs to do is eat the meals and take the pills. Over a few months his body will slowly change and they will have a ceremony that will complete his transformation. He will become a vampire that will enjoy a youthful appearance and long life.

Stanley, impatient and frustrated, attempts to speed the process up by taking matters in to his own hands which begins as the ritualistic killing of animals and eventually leads him to committing his first murder. By doing so he unravels the truth behind the vampire and his service, it's all an elaborate scam, but by the time he learns this it's too late as Stanley has become convinced he is on the path to becoming a true vampire.

What continues is his attempts to juggle his dream of becoming a leading actor and achieve eternal youth. While his acting career starts to improve, his murders have also become national news. Stanley must hide one side of him from the world while stepping in to the spotlight with the other half.

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I was going to write a short synopsis for the story, but I feel like I tend to over explain a lot of things. So this is quite a bit more than I was planning on writing for this post. This is the essentially the first two acts of the story.

The story follows a man named Stanley Nelson whose only dream is to win the academy award for best actor. Detailing his journey from his childhood obsession to his middling success as a background extra. Stanley believes he is an amazing actor and the only thing holding him back his is ever increasing age. His second obsession is his vanity, with dozens of beauty and skincare treatments applied he is always searching for the next thing to help him appear younger so he can get those elusive leading roles.

This leads Stanley to a chance meeting with a mysterious fellow who reveals his true identity to be that of an ancient race of real vampires, the real beings the old stories were based on. His offer is a simple subscription service, delivered every week to his house all he needs to do is eat the meals and take the pills. Over a few months his body will slowly change and they will have a ceremony that will complete his transformation. He will become a vampire that will enjoy a youthful appearance and long life.

Stanley, impatient and frustrated, attempts to speed the process up by taking matters in to his own hands which begins as the ritualistic killing of animals and eventually leads him to committing his first murder. By doing so he unravels the truth behind the vampire and his service, it's all an elaborate scam, but by the time he learns this it's too late as Stanley has become convinced he is on the path to becoming a true vampire.

What continues is his attempts to juggle his dream of becoming a leading actor and achieve eternal youth. While his acting career starts to improve, his murders have also become national news. Stanley must hide one side of him from the world while stepping in to the spotlight with the other half.

That second paragraph took a bigger turn than I expected, but that sounds great! Good luck!

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017

Omg that took exactly the turn I was hoping it would! That sounds great!

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in.
My goals may not coincide perfectly with the standard, but any words I write are officially more than I've got, so. In.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That second paragraph took a bigger turn than I expected, but that sounds great! Good luck!

Omg that took exactly the turn I was hoping it would! That sounds great!

Thank you!

I'm pretty happy with how the story has panned out, this story and about 15 others I've been bouncing ideas around for over 10 years. I've waited long enough, it's about time I actually sat down and written them down so I can get them out of my head.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
should an antagonist have likeable qualities, or do i need to redesign them at this the 11th hour?
I think there's often two types of antogonists. One we learn a lot of backstory to make them likeable or to partly justify their actions. The other kind is just plain evil and the less we know about them the better. As a comparison, take the Maleficent in the recent Disney movies compared to her in the original animation. Both of them can be effective!

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's often two types of antogonists. One we learn a lot of backstory to make them likeable or to partly justify their actions. The other kind is just plain evil and the less we know about them the better. As a comparison, take the Maleficent in the recent Disney movies compared to her in the original animation. Both of them can be effective!
I might be going for a mix of both for my Nano novel!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

i also like the antagonist who seems good at first and have their evil ways revealed over time and they become more evil as the story progresses