• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Posting Wordcounts
OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
So do we write on the site or can we write anywhere and update our progress in this thread?

I'm unfamiliar with the process.

As a reminder for people, to officially win National Novel Writing Month, you need to paste your 50,000 words on the website.

But as far as this thread goes, please post your progress and I'll update the list of participants with your wordcount by your name. I read through every post and am usually very good about catching people's updates, but if you could put WC (or some variation) next to your words to make my life a little easier, than that would be swell.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
As a reminder for people, to officially win National Novel Writing Month, you need to paste your 50,000 words on the website.

But as far as this thread goes, please post your progress and I'll update the list of participants with your wordcount by your name. I read through every post and am usually very good about catching people's updates, but if you could put WC (or some variation) next to your words to make my life a little easier, than that would be swell.
If you want a different way to log things as well I updated my little sheet which lets you put in your daily words and adds them up and tells you what % you are to the goal :P

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Getting up early tomorrow morning to get started before work. Got my scrivener all set up and an inspirational Pinterest. Looking forward to it this year.

I update my word count in the nano website they usually display it as a nice progress graph and you get badges and stuff.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Getting up early tomorrow morning to get started before work. Got my scrivener all set up and an inspirational Pinterest. Looking forward to it this year.

I update my word count in the nano website they usually display it as a nice progress graph and you get badges and stuff.
I will forever hate the nano site for the stupid way they do the average words per day left as it always includes today after you update so it's always off by a day :/

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
2 hours to go at this point. I'll probably stay up and write for 30 minutes just to get into the swing of things. I should figure out an ending because I have a bunch of worldbuilding and maybe 75% of a story but struggling where I'll end it. Though plenty of time until I need to make a decision.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
2 hours to go at this point. I'll probably stay up and write for 30 minutes just to get into the swing of things. I should figure out an ending because I have a bunch of worldbuilding and maybe 75% of a story but struggling where I'll end it. Though plenty of time until I need to make a decision.
my usual recommendation for an ending...

and then from the sky a giant rock fell killing everyone and everything. The End.

:P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

What I'm writing to tonight

KOkiYe9.png

is likely to be my playlist for tonight :P

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this thread from the old place. I have been hmming and hawing about writing this year, but I have a whole bunch of time off coming up.....

I will at least watch this thead with great interest.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Going to bed with 2,018 words so far. Very proud of myself.

Itching to do more but sleep is calling. Feels kind of liberating to just drop my inner editor off like a bag of rocks even though I fear the inevitable editing stage.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
There's a storm in my area, possible tornado, so I'm going to have to write later when possible.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
that will be about the point where Flowers will want to quit.
Me... I still don't even understand why anyone cares about the game lol.
Yeah, everything about Death Stranding is too weird and too vague for me to care all that much about it, no matter how I try. Kojima lost me at MGSV, and nothing about his newest game is luring me back.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Going to bed with 2,018 words so far. Very proud of myself.

Hey good job! that's a solid start!

I'm going to give this a shot. My first time too.

Welcome aboard!

I've always wanted to do this, but I'm intimidated by the word count. I guess I could start writing something and see where it goes.

That's the spirit! Don't worry so much about the wordcount and just write. See where it takes you.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not ready for Nanowrimo, but I never am. I need to start writing before more ideas can start flowing again.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much pantsing it this year. I have a vague, nebulous idea (Exorcist + The Expanse + Dead Space) and an idea of what I'd like my unnamed protagonist's character arc to be, but that's about it. I've won twice before; hopefully I can pull it off a third time. I've spent the past two years as the critique partner for my friend publishing her debut novel with one of the big publishers and while it's been an incredible experience I've barely written anything of my own.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Seeing this thread reminds me that I keep telling myself I'm gonna do National novel writing month... and then I never do it. I never have a good reason as to why I don't, I just like put it off until it's too late and then get all annoyed at myself for not doing diddly squat.

So you know what? After skimming this thread and reading people actually doing it, I hereby am going to actually go through and write a novel next month because I've wanted to for awhile and it also looks really fun

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much pantsing it this year. I have a vague, nebulous idea (Exorcist + The Expanse + Dead Space) and an idea of what I'd like my unnamed protagonist's character arc to be, but that's about it. I've won twice before; hopefully I can pull it off a third time. I've spent the past two years as the critique partner for my friend publishing her debut novel with one of the big publishers and while it's been an incredible experience I've barely written anything of my own.

I love all three of those things! Your idea sounds right up my alley!

Seeing this thread reminds me that I keep telling myself I'm gonna do National novel writing month... and then I never do it. I never have a good reason as to why I don't, I just like put it off until it's too late and then get all annoyed at myself for not doing diddly squat.

So you know what? After skimming this thread and reading people actually doing it, I hereby am going to actually go through and write a novel next month because I've wanted to for awhile and it also looks really fun

Welcome aboard! Nows the perfect time to try out that novel!

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck! I believe in you.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the Nano site is working right now! It's usually either crashed or moving at a snails pace when midnight starts to come! I guess those site changes really did do something.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Just pounded out a 1405 word chapter one. I guess having food poisoning and a lot of time to think today really helped more than an outline ever could.

1 gift from zulux21

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from zulux21 zulux21!

This is a weeklong raffle that will expire in one week. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

zulux21 said:
It's finally the day, so to start things off we will put a feather in your cap. If you update 5 times in the first week you will have all the posts you need to win this.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Feather - Won by eZipsis eZipsis (4 entries)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a fast writer, closing in on 2k words already and I just got started...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it's finally nov 1 in the most important time zone... mine so the next giveaway is live

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe something will actually happen in chapter two! Maybe not! It's kinda fun to just rant as this character, though if I don't move the story along I'll get to 50k without even getting the plot started, and that would be the antithesis of a light novel.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe something will actually happen in chapter two! Maybe not! It's kinda fun to just rant as this character, though if I don't move the story along I'll get to 50k without even getting the plot started, and that would be the antithesis of a light novel.
just let the words flow. they don't have to be good :P

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Haaa aaah, less than 70 minutes until it's time on the Pacific coast and I still don't know what I'll be writing.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in. Started planning my nano these last two days at work in my downtime between reports and emails.

I won't be sprinting tonight, though. I'll get started once I come home in the afternoon and try to knock out 3k to give myself a buffer.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in. Started planning my nano these last two days at work in my downtime between reports and emails.

I won't be sprinting tonight, though. I'll get started once I come home in the afternoon and try to knock out 3k to give myself a buffer.
first day buffers are nice, until you decide to take that second day off and fall behind :P

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
WC 2185

Pretty good start for the first two in a half hours for me. I tend to try and do these a chapter a day, so tomorrow will be chapter 2 and hoping I can keep this good pace.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm over 3k words. It's early, but so far this may end up being the most fun I will ever do with Nano in this decade. Everything is going well.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I think I'm going to have to bow out, sadly. I've got to focus on writing this bloody paper and outlining my thesis and I can't do that while also thinking of nifty fiction to write.

Alas.

I'll stick around to cheerlead those who are doing it, though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I think I'm going to have to bow out, sadly. I've got to focus on writing this bloody paper and outlining my thesis and I can't do that while also thinking of nifty fiction to write.

Alas.

more people can give away things to motivate people than me.

just saying :P

Oct 25, 2017

Alas.

I did it while I was doing my dissertation writing. Was nice to take a break from scientific writing and write scifi in the evening.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Okay so I spent most of my morning editing rather than writing :V

But I got maybe 650 words or so done. After work I'll do another thousand to reach the daily goal.

I'm too much of a perfectionist to only write, gotta edit!