• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Never shared my story, as part of FanFic Nano

~Hell's Kitchen~
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma {SoTaku}

King Suzuki's promise to provide relief from the famine for anyone who joins as the royal chef was an offer Takumi Aldini couldn't refuse. When he arrives, however, he realizes it was all a lie and he would be forced into labor with no compensation. Takumi fights back with his cooking, putting his life on the line with one dish to stupefy the king.

Takumi doesn't and is thrown into the kitchen as a forced laborer. As he believes all is lost however, a familiar face, Soma Yukihira, is there and comforts him, promising him that together they can find a way to escape, somehow. Takumi wants to believe him, he really does, but…

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I only need 4k words to get to 20k today...this is going way better than I expected!

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about my disappearance yesterday, list is all updated and such. Also good job everyone! holy shit I did not expect to get so many who just saw the thread and went for it! For those intersted, we've got over 50 people on the board with words right now and like always, its refreshing to see so many newcomers. Wishing you all big success this year.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about my disappearance yesterday, list is all updated and such. Also good job everyone! holy shit I did not expect to get so many who just saw the thread and went for it! For those intersted, we've got over 50 people on the board with words right now and like always, its refreshing to see so many newcomers. Wishing you all big success this year.
Stop wishing me success. even participating in this is a failure for me :P

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
WC: 4282

I only managed half the benchmark today but I'll make it up during my lunch break at work tomorrow

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WC: 11413

Would've gotten to 5k today but I forgot I had a test tomorrow ugh. Still, getting 20% of the way done with NaNo in the first three days is good.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
WC 5166

Got my MC's grandmother speaking in a Yorkshire accent (well, as much of a Yorkshire accent as a bloke from Sussex knows) and the dialogue flowed. If every day is as easy as today I am golden. (Every day will not be as easy as today.)

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Was supposed to be at 8K mark today. My 5-year old cut his tooth so all the writing I managed to do was after we got back home. Still on the benchmark numbers though with the WC at 5361

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still struggling but at least I've managed to break 2k today. Word count right now is 2301 and I'm hoping to write a few hundred more words before the day's over.

I decided to throw Detective Miller into my story so I guess I'm technically writing The Expanse fan fiction right now. :p

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 5,106

Hit the target. I'm tired, time to sleep, get up, and write some more. Went pretty well, though I know I'm going to be cutting this down a lot when it comes time for editing.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
WC 5061

Finished up a chapter I started the other night. I was thinking about writing another chapter but I might call it for the night cause I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Instead I might try and make a book cover or something.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 5306

I think i'm starting to form a half defined outline for my writing right now, so hopefully I can push on forward a lot more quickly.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 9240

I've got one more chapter in my first act and then the story will be off and running. Act two will be the hardest, obviously.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 8727

This is going... well? I keep thinking I'm going to struggle to write, but I get right in there and next thing I know the chapter ends up twice as long as I was expecting. So that's good! The existential dread hasn't gone away though yet.

Today though, I had my first scene stealing character, and that's always an awesome moment where some character that wasn't even in the outline demands to be part of events. She's called Fee Delaney and she's a trans woman who started a software company developing architectural software after making her first million developing plug ins for Autocad from her bedroom, and she lights up every paragraph she's involved in.

It's always one of my favorite moments when I'm writing and some side character or just someone that the story dictated I needed to get from A to B demands that I'm not done with them.

From spending all day under the thumb of imposter syndrome, I'm now feeling the high of a really good session and I'm confident enough to reveal a little bit about my story.

It's called Strikethrough

It's about a woman called Mina Tolson, who wakes up one morning with two thoughts in her head: Don't worry, and don't let anyone know what happened.

And that's about all that she does have in her head, because every memory specific to herself seems to have been wiped from her mind. She knows the date. She (unfortunately) knows who the President is. She's aware of national events. But anything specific to her? Gone. For good.

She has to figure out who the hell she is without letting on that she doesn't know, then she has to figure out who she was, and why exactly this happened.

And if I can come close to doing that concept justice I'll be super happy. It was actually inspired by replaying Half Life, and being thrown into Gordon Freeman's life, and looking at the baby picture in his locker, while everyone acts as if they know who he is and you don't know any of them.

What it's not, is one of those 'Oh, I was a super spy and I can do martial arts!' stories. Not that those aren't cool.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 20287

Recently finished the 6th Chapter where the main character finally gets his first action scene too.

Yeah this novel is going over 80k...

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
WC: 4075

I am getting into the groove and I am loving it. What I plan to write tomorrow will I use out my introduction, i think. I'm hoping I can keep it up.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 11875

I've officially finished my first five chapters and my first act.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 9551

Middle of chapter nine. It's almost time for some real characters. I've never been good at naming people and I'm only slightly better at writing believable dialogue but here we go.

Cyberglade

Apr 11, 2018
WC: 5279

I've been swimming in revisions for most of this year, so coming back to a blank page has been doing a number on my psyche. But I just hit a section where I really like what the character's are doing, finally. We'll see how long that lasts.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 9551

Middle of chapter nine. It's almost time for some real characters. I've never been good at naming people and I'm only slightly better at writing believable dialogue but here we go.
It's an isekai right

so Hiro Yuki
Ringo Piebaker
Ichigo Zook
Michi Silverarmor

"I've been summoned from another world." Hrio Yuki said.
"I don't know what that means. I bake pies." Ringo said.
"Can you smell what the Zook is cookin'?" Ichigo asked.
Michi sat in the corner polishing her silver armor.

>.>

yes it's supposed to be bad :P

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
WC 7761
I can't believe this is going so smoothly so far
I'm actually going with a jokey idea I had a couple years ago.
A sort of Shining Force meets Moneyball Fantasy x Comedy about a down on her luck Tactician devising a complex set of RPG-stat sabermetrics and building the ultimate party.

lostconst

Oct 27, 2017
wc 6,047

Still struggling to explain the background mostly because it's so silly, but I'm rolling with it. Maybe just avoiding explaining it and going "well it just is and no one really gets why." Kinda cheap though.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 1877

How do you people write so much?! So far I'm hitting a segment a day, with each segment being about two pages and switching off between three main characters. Had a moment today where the plot just... naturally fell into place. A character went exactly where they needed to to set the main story up. So that's exciting.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

How do you people write so much?! So far I'm hitting a segment a day, with each segment being about two pages and switching off between three main characters. Had a moment today where the plot just... naturally fell into place. A character went exactly where they needed to to set the main story up. So that's exciting.
I sit at a computer, and type, while browsing era every 10 minutes or so for a few hours and end up with 1k words a day usually >.>

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

It gets easy once you accept you (and I'm using the generic you) suck at writing prose and just let the dialogue drive the story.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
My story was going to be a generic D&D inspired adventure but it has swiftly turned into 5e dungeon meshi except with more drow. My leads are a tabaxi bard and an air genasi sorcerer. This is what happens when I can't play D&D for 2 months.

Gonna crank out a few more words before the time change puts me to sleep.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it can drive the plot fast enough to escape the first act for once.
last two nanos I wrote what I call my "kids show" as it is at it's heart designed to be turned into a comic that is aimed at people 10-12 years old or so.

One of my characters is part Pinkie Pie and talks a ton, she's one of the easiest characters I've ever written before lol. More than once I got stuck in a conversation between her and another character and next thing I knew I had over 1k words more.

I uh... am going to be working on editing it soon... so we will see how much has to get cut :P

I also have to make sure that word doesn't go to town in it as word really hates all the fake words I used with her like yuppers.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
WC: 7685

I need to pick up the pace, lol. I wanted to end this weekend at 10k and thaaaaaaat didn't happen. My day job is probably going to mean that I'll be hitting the minimum word goal every day.

But at least I'm writing! I had to drive a lot today so now I want to sleeeeeep. The word mines can wait until tomorrow!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WC: 5087

I stopped just before I hit the first major event that introduces my MC into a world of magic and craziness. Literally a sentence or two before he gets attacked and I'm really eager to write the whole event down.

Not tonight, though. I'm tired.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017

How do you people write so much?!

What other people said but it's also quite a bit of practice too. The more you write the quicker you get how to set up scenes/write the filler dialogue/get things from place to place for your big exciting writing moments. Anyway keep at it and after awhile you'll find you write a bit more a bit quicker each time.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What other people said but it's also quite a bit of practice too. The more you write the quicker you get how to set up scenes/write the filler dialogue/get things from place to place for your big exciting writing moments. Anyway keep at it and after awhile you'll find you write a bit more a bit quicker each time.
and sometimes you find yourself lost in a 200 word monologue from a character celebrating that they are for once the smart one in the room as they explain something everyone else should have also been able to figure out but didn't >.>

anyways...

WC: 5983

For someone not actually doing Nano I'm crushing it so far >.>

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 6291

Things are coming along nicely now. I am pleased with what I wrote today, and am happy I got some good character moments in.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you open up the next chapter you outlined to read the notes.
and then stare at them as you don't remember designing such a chapter.
and then sigh as you agree with whatever version of you wrote the notes that the chapter is important.
and then give up writing for the night since you now have to plan the chapter properly and didn't earlier because you forgot about it lol.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 5530
I'm going to have to buckle down and double-up sometime soon if I don't want to see the benchmark constantly above my name.
That feeling when you open up the next chapter you outlined to read the notes.
and then stare at them as you don't remember designing such a chapter.
and then sigh as you agree with whatever version of you wrote the notes that the chapter is important.
and then give up writing for the night since you now have to plan the chapter properly and didn't earlier because you forgot about it lol.
See, this is a feeling that I will never know, because I am a pantser with only the vaguest idea of where my story is going.