• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
WC: 6116

I skipped sunday and monday and I was close to giving up yesterday, but it felt good to get back to it today and I am glad I decided to stick with it. Im going to try to get back on target by tomorrow, but we shall see.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
sadly i still havent started and i have a lot of other stuff going on in life right now so im not even going to try to keep up this year at this point

im out

always next year! or just another month with my own rules i suppose

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Timu cheats and plans all year long making a detailed outline of each chapter :P

doesn't make their work less impressive, but it shouldn't be that surprising that they are running ahead.
I never expected to do this well, I mean, I was going to do better than last year definitely, but going above 10k in a day wasn't planned at all, neither some of the characters and actions that were added during writing.=O But yeah I'm very happy with my progress.

Last edited:

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
12502. Didn't write much yesterday. Still have no idea how it'll even get anywhere close to being finished at 50,000 words - have the same issue every year. Probably needs about 200,000 which I am certainly not going anywhere near this month. Oh well, down the rabbit hole I continue to go :P

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
12502. Didn't write much yesterday. Still have no idea how it'll even get anywhere close to being finished at 50,000 words - have the same issue every year. Probably needs about 200,000 which I am certainly not going anywhere near this month. Oh well, down the rabbit hole I continue to go :P
I honestly stopped trying to wrap it up in 50K last year. 50K is too short for the stories I want to tell, so I've been gunning for more 75K to 100K paced stories. I just hope I take the initiative to finish this draft like I did the last one lol.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly stopped trying to wrap it up in 50K last year. 50K is too short for the stories I want to tell, so I've been gunning for more 75K to 100K paced stories. I just hope I take the initiative to finish this draft like I did the last one lol.
I'm kind of like that too, heck, it would probably take over 80k words to finish my current Nano novel.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
75-100k is a perfectly reasonable range for a fantasy or similar novel.
much more than that isn't if you are trying to be published as a first time author. But to me the first draft should just be as long as it takes for you to finish. You can always trim things down and rewrite things later. During the process of writing everything out though you might discover a storyline that is even stronger than the one you originally planned though.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of like that too, heck, it would probably take over 80k words to finish my current Nano novel.
Yeah mine this year will probably end up being around the same, and I really do wanna finish it, so I may just keep going once I hit 50K instead of taking the usual break.

75-100k is a perfectly reasonable range for a fantasy or similar novel.
much more than that isn't if you are trying to be published as a first time author. But to me the first draft should just be as long as it takes for you to finish. You can always trim things down and rewrite things later. During the process of writing everything out though you might discover a storyline that is even stronger than the one you originally planned though.
I typically like to write fantasy and Sci-fi stuff whether its a short story or a novel. This year is fantasy, last year was Sci-fi.

I love editing and revising. I learn and improve the most when I edit my work.

Oct 25, 2017
i can do 50K if I plan the story that way and make sure to keep a limited scope, my previous ones I had the chapters fully detailed and knew from like a 8K word chapter by chapter outline there was no way it would be 50K (would be 250K).

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 16441. Will stop for the day I think. Should be right around 50k when I'm done.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going out so I probably won't get as many words in today...but at least I'll try to get something done.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 8757

My first truly productive writing session I think, hopefully a good start to get a decent chunk of words out by the end of the week.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
WC 18305. I definitely write monologues and internal dialogue/descriptive text much faster than dialog. I get stuck up on the quotation marks and making sure it is clear who is speaking to whom. This is flowing nicely and I can do it in 50k words no problem. I'm far outside what I had outlined, but then again I fully outlined an idea that came to me in a dream and then scrapped it for this barely touched one because it made everyone I told the title to chuckle or laugh out loud, and when you get that sort of response you might as well just go for it.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 9611

Been struggling to not go overboard with all the side characters I'm introducing (I'm really bad about having side characters derailing my main plot)

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting down and doing some of that writing thing. Honestly there's not really anything exciting in this book so far. I have a weird dream sequence next chapter so I'm hoping that'll rekindle some of my own interest.

Quick edit: sound track for this chapter of two people hanging out in a bar

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
" something silly in the nano thread. I don't wanna double post "

there you go Flowers... happy now?

Feb 12, 2018
PA
WC: 10,264

Still managing to stay about a day ahead. Finished one chapter and started the next. Three chapters down, 12 more to go.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I think I write faster without dialog...

I'm the opposite tbh

I'm always surprised by how much dialogue bumps up my word count

I definitely write monologues and internal dialogue/descriptive text much faster than dialog. I get stuck up on the quotation marks and making sure it is clear who is speaking to whom

Oh yeah, it's definitely easy to get bogged down by all the formatting

Personally, I don't even bother with quotation marks in my first draft. I also keep the "X said, Y said" to a bare minimum (so no adjectives and nothing fancy like ' "Lorem ipsum," said Z. "consectetur adipiscing elit etc." '). I like to let conversations play out for as long as they can, and then cut down on it in the edit.

It's how I've preferred to do dialogue ever since I did a Screenwriting class, and realized I found it easier to draft a screenplay compared to drafting a short story or a novel.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the opposite tbh

I'm always surprised by how much dialogue bumps up my word count
It does help a lot, but for the story I'm doing it doesn't need it as much in certain situations, heck I still do a lot of words without much dialog.=O

BTW going to update my word count soon.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 10202

Woo 10K! Nano is going well for me this year. Last year was my favorite nano I've done, but let's see if I can change that. I like where this is going.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
alright... 5 days is a fine sample size...
you are averaging 6,470 words per day.
at this pace you will get 194,100 words this month. I want to see you do it :P
If their hands don't fall off first.

Edit: Unrelated to the above, but I checked the Nano store to see this year's design for the winner shirt and they're already sold out in most sizes. :/

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 5784.

My problem right now is that is that I can actually do the regular 1.6k words a day but problem is those 2 days I didn't write really put me back.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 4116

Now should be where it gets interesting. Not only have I gotten to where I had already planned to both downgrade two former mains to early-bird cameos at this point in the story and condense two others, I've realized that I'll need to cut faculty members with focus as well as how much smaller a school it ended up being than originally envisioned in mind.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 10083

I need to get more ahead to be honest. Finals are gonna be brutal and it'd be nice if I didn't have to worry about those.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If their hands don't fall off first.

Edit: Unrelated to the above, but I checked the Nano store to see this year's design for the winner shirt and they're already sold out in most sizes. :/
i've done 10k in a day before it's not that bad on the hands :P

my current word count for the year is 343, 691 so at least I know Timu won't pass me for the year :P

Oct 25, 2017
WC 6703

1911 wrds makes it my second best day this event so far.

Really Im still paying for doing only 211 on day 1. Though each day, I am chipping down my 1 day deficient as compared to benchmark.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Finishing my night at 6816 words. Hoping my next chapter is meaty enough I can catch up to the 10k

Oh also best of luck to everyone, we should be hitting 10k tomorrow. That's a fifth of this book! But besides that, you'll have written ten thousand words!!! Give yourself a clap on the back.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Finishing my night at 6816 words. Hoping my next chapter is meaty enough I can catch up to the 10k

Oh also best of luck to everyone, we should be hitting 10k tomorrow. That's a fifth of this book! But besides that, you'll have written ten thousand words!!! Give yourself a clap on the back.
>.> your words feel so empty to me. Perhaps I'm just crazy ^^;

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 9063

alright almost a third of the way to the min I need to do.

once I reach that a lot of stress will be taken off and we will see if I get to 50k.

I don't plan on stretching this stuff at all. If I run out of what I need to do that will be it even if I'm at 48k with 5 days to go lol

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 9404

So I wasn't able to make much progress at getting ahead of the benchmark today. I was feeling off all day with one of my eyes hurting, so it was hard to even surpass the daily base amount.