• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I must say this: This tone for my novel is done better than I would hope. The main story takes itself more seriously and has a sense of dread while the side plots have some humor here and there but with crazy situations. Copper, who had hope and was optimistic in previous novels, is now down on his luck, much more angry and feels like he could lose it all at any moment due to all the tragic events that happened recently. I'm glad I'm going this route for my final Copper R novel.

Also, 32k words in, just completed Chapter 10 and has 15 chapters left...

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 7624

Brutal day today. I think I might have too much stress going on to be able to properly pants this year, as I'm hitting massive writer's block most days.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
Day 5 was mostly an intense editing day for my Patreon project (I can't let that slip just because of this), so I wrote less than a thousand words.

WC: 7674

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WC: 22242

Slow day for me, not really feeling this chapter. Still, the plan is to make it halfway point tomorrow!

deli

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 10,257

Gonna try an earlier session tomorrow since I want to get a better nights sleep

Slash Ess

Nov 5, 2017
WC: 10,698
Wish I could've done more, but I wrote a song today so that has to count for something

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 38561

I'll be glad to get out of the 30ks so I can reach the 40ks another day!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 9002

I got a little bit behind, as I didn't write yesterday. I went to see a movie and was too tired by the end of the day. I will, however, write a little extra each day like I did today to catch back up. I also have next week off so I will even try to get a little ahead as well.

And now, it's late and I'm tired, so time to sleep.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
38k words in at Chapter 12 being completed...Chapter 13 will end with 40k words even though Chapter 17 was suppose to be around 40k words...

Bruh!!!

Last edited:

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 2033

Just going at my own pace. Goals? What are those? I might hit 10k by the end of the month.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
WC 21561. Finally wrote my first comedic misunderstanding, which is a necessary part of a light novel.

My biggest advice to anyone having trouble getting words out is this: Go beyond just not editing while you write, don't read what your writing. Just pour it all out. Only stop if you need to research something or take a moment to collect your thoughts.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 17584

A good night. My biggest single day total yet at almost 4000 words. Six days. Six chapters. Most of the way through Act 1. Still need to figure out quite a few details for Act 2 (and Act 4, the final act).

But hey. That's tomorrow. Today? I'm comfortably outpacing 2017 when I last did this.

Technically more than a third of the way to 'winning' although I don't really think in terms of winning until the draft is finished, and that probably won't happen until mid December.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
WC 21561. Finally wrote my first comedic misunderstanding, which is a necessary part of a light novel.

My biggest advice to anyone having trouble getting words out is this: Go beyond just not editing while you write, don't read what your writing. Just pour it all out. Only stop if you need to research something or take a moment to collect your thoughts.
I can't do that...I'm too used to it.=O But this will help for a lot of people though.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I can't do that...I'm too used to it.=O But this will help for a lot of people though.
It sounds crazy. I know. But you can't read and write at the same time, and reading will get your mind thinking like you should be editing and polishing when you need to be, well, writing!

The real moment you know you're in the zone is when you're writing without thinking about what you are writing, the words are just flowing.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds crazy. I know. But you can't read and write at the same time, and reading will get your mind thinking like you should be editing and polishing when you need to be, well, writing!

The real moment you know you're in the zone is when you're writing without thinking about what you are writing, the words are just flowing.
Oh yeah, that works for me, I'm near 40k as well.=p

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, that works for me, I'm near 40k as well.=p
It's a wonderful feeling and it makes the time fly, and usually only stops when I run into something I absolutely need to look up (and because most of this is on the fly I need to do some of that from time to time) or when I finish a chapter. That and I've sent a hard one hour timer as a time to take a break and check this board and stretch a bit, also figure out what I'm going to listen to. Also as silly as it sounds I absolutely need to start writing at one of the quarter marks in an hour (00:15:30:45) even though i know its silly and those numbers mean nothing, but that's just how I've always done it when writing for pleasure.

I also love to count how many pages I've got filled with text. It's astonishing. Every other day I format it to what it'd look like for an ebook and I watch the number balloon out.

Feb 12, 2018
PA
WC: 12,217

MC's bf is now trying to stall the bad guy with "I'M A FOUNDLING AND I THINK MAYBE YOU'RE MY DAD" while the MC rifles through Bad Guy's office. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 4567

Way below benchmark. But again, would be far more concerned if this were a completely new project rather than making an old one suck less.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 11600

So close to breaking tomorrow's benchmark, but I'm also at a really natural stopping point for the day.

Today was my first real action scene, so that flowed rather easily. Granted, it wasn't much of an action scene, but it still gave me the opportunity to turn a surprisingly vile villain into a whimpering mess, make some jokes, and set up stuff for the future if I want to use it. That's a good feeling.

Oh, and is the NaNo site acting weird for anyone else? Every time I go to update my number today, the display shows more words than I have.

Last edited:

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 12023

Happy with what I wrote though it took me a while. Really tense moment today.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when I only need to write 2k a day(even though the minimum is always 2400 a day for this novel) and can still beat my record of last year by 4 days early...

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ii still havent started 😔

While i have plotted my story i just dont know the exact words to start

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
ii still havent started 😔

While i have plotted my story i just dont know the exact words to start
You could just jump into the middle. That's what I did this year. I didn't know how my novel started (still don't), but I had a scene in mind so I just started writing there.

Or you could accept that a lot of the words you write down won't be the final words (if you're at all interested in publishing) so there's no reason to stress about the exact words right now. Just use adequate words to write down what needs to happen and you can later revise them into the exact words you want.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I find sometimes its better to force out the words to atleast build up a momentum. Character are walking or soemthing. They enter a bar. Describe the surrounding area. Somethign to help get words going.
Yep, this works perfectly. I sometimes describe quite a bit and then it's smooth sailing from there.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
WC 9009

This chapter was actually decently long buuuuuut I was hoping to catch up with it. It also doesn't help that my next chapter is very poorly thought out. Oh well, if I write more than the usual daily limit I'm sure I'll catch up in no time.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So
I find sometimes its better to force out the words to atleast build up a momentum. Character are walking or soemthing. They enter a bar. Describe the surrounding area. Somethign to help get words going.
The idea for my first chapter is that the soldier MC who's glad they don't have to do guard duty on millitary outpost today bc of the smog outside has to defend it from a raid by mysterious black-ops dudes in black , but idk how to convey with without making her sound like a dick

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
WC: 8876

Fallen a bit behind but hopefully I can make that up over the weekend. Glad this thread is here, lots of good tips and motivation.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It was a joke that became all too real the more I thought about it. Still if you want to avoid the traps of adolescent writing like self insert perfect heroes, shallow characters and situations, easy solutions to outlandish situations you might as well fall head first into them.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 12,057

At this rate, my 10k word story is gonna actually be 20k words long instead.