• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
List of Participants
  • OP
    OP
    FlowersisBritish
    Oct 25, 2017
    The Writers said:
    Timu 102314
    plagiarize 92067
    djplaeskool 64714
    Xita 59075
    W-00 56032
    BDS 53035
    zulux21 51163
    Dedication Through Light 50875
    MetalMagus 50511
    King Alamat 50467
    Ghostofst4rm4n 50448
    Xaszatm 50420
    Grudy 50304
    deli 50241
    Sonicbug 50186
    timppis 50178
    Corasaur 50126
    korigama 50094
    UCBooties 50080
    Flowersisbritish 50067
    Narag 50061
    Cyberglade 50060
    Evilisk 50056
    Kalentan 50046
    Nezumi 50046
    Stars_and_Snows 50042
    Ferulci 50037
    Primethius 50023
    PKthndr 50011
    Man God 50003
    !!!Benchmark!!! 50000
    FutureLarking 48738
    lostconst18 45171
    Ivy Veritas 43533
    MilkBeard 30193
    Dongs Macabre 28566
    William 25262
    EverythingShiny 21323
    Dandy Crocodile 20144
    Plasticine 16962
    Landford 16542
    Mr Paptimus 16041
    Exotoro 15402
    Ultimate Bear Club 14483
    Slash Ess 12877
    GSR 12053
    Anthanes 10000
    Pitcairn55 7305
    Lady Murasaki 6229
    Surakian 5087
    Ezipsis 5010
    Catvoca 4585
    Cornelius 4075
    Griff 3385
    Sakashima 2670
    Jersey_Tom 2635
    Bing147 2600
    vainya 2319
    Kalor 2084
    OniLinkPlus 2033
    Gibson 2000
    ibyea 1672
    Jakenbakin 1624
    petitmelon 940
    Weemadarthur 434
    JasonMCG 186
    Master Milk 6
    Randomly Generated 0
    Pickman 0
    Regulus Tera
    DeckardWintermute
    PirateLuigi
    Delio
    StevenWinwood
    Uncelestial
    Pookmunki
    Huw_Dawson
    Hurroocane
    Joe
    Froyo Love
    Midramble
    kvetchya
    FF8500_Club
    sunnpeace
    AllThingsPurple
    Piratepwnsninja
    gryvan
    Siyou
    Bengraven
    Geist
    arkon
    Alcoremortis
    Stronginthearm
    moogs
    NoirSuede
    The Idler
    Unicorn
    Do Androids Dream of iOS?
    Soulstar
    Mask
    Delio
    FuturusX
    ChristianH94
    Mars
    Weiss
    Lowblood

Last edited:
    Midramble's generous bet
  • Midramble

Force of Habit
    The Fallen
    Oct 25, 2017
    San Francisco
    f8ebbb45-99f0-4464-8b35-05fb56d896da.jpg

Coming in late to say last year we had 37 winners (not all of them showed back up in the thread this time around) which was more than the year before with 32 winners. We also (atm) have less participants this time around but I've also been a bit more selective about who I put on the list, only adding people that made it clear they were going to participate and not just most people who posted like I did last year.

Also no worries about the failed collaboration. Things happen, i get it. No need to duck your head, your welcome back to the CWC at any time.

Thanks haha. Well that being the case I'll do this, I'll setup a raffle for $10 steam credit for 4 winners (if I win) to motivate people and keep the $10 for all winners if I lose making the win-lose differential $40 to $400. Motivation all around.

How.... does giftbot work?

Posting Wordcounts
  • OP
    OP
    FlowersisBritish
    Oct 25, 2017
    So do we write on the site or can we write anywhere and update our progress in this thread?

I'm unfamiliar with the process.

As a reminder for people, to officially win National Novel Writing Month, you need to paste your 50,000 words on the website.

But as far as this thread goes, please post your progress and I'll update the list of participants with your wordcount by your name. I read through every post and am usually very good about catching people's updates, but if you could put WC (or some variation) next to your words to make my life a little easier, than that would be swell.

Officially at the halfway point!
  • OP
    OP
    FlowersisBritish
    Oct 25, 2017
    Heads up folks, we are officially at the halfway point! To those of you keeping pace, CONGRATS YOU'VE GOT HALF A NOVEL ON YOUR HANDS! Already that's a huge accomplishment!

To the people a bit behind but still trying to catch up, you've got this! You can still hit that 50k!

To those who've given up on hitting 50k, try and keep writing! Sure you may not win this year, but every little bit you do are some words you wouldn't have otherwise. The important thing is you're writing! In that regard, any words you get on the page are good words!

And with that, we're done!
  • OP
    OP
    FlowersisBritish
    Oct 25, 2017
    giphy.gif

And with that National Novel Writing Month is over for everybody. Another year, another November, another great slew of participants. We had 106 posters in the thread mention they wanted to give it a try, and over half of them put some words onto the page. This year had 67 writers in the thread working on novels they might not have started otherwise. And of those who put words in, we got 30 winners(holy cow!) with 11 first time winners (or at least first time winning while participating in our thread). So..... pretty good turnout if I do say so myself.

I wanted to give a couple special shout outs. Firstly, congrats to the all new winners who came into the thread with a vague idea of writing a novel and leaving with 50k. We should all give a little clap from behind our monitors to Xita, Man God, BDS, djplaeskool, Cyberglade, Ghostofst4rm4n, Stars_and_Snows, Primethius, Timppis, corasaur, and last but not least Xaszatm! Great job all of you, I hope you had fun whether you decide to take a break, go onto editing your novel, or start planning for next year's!

I also want to give a special thanks to a couple other users. Timu you are 1) a fucking BEAST! Holy shit you did amazing this Nano! I can't believe you broke into six digits and 2) a huge source of inspiration for me this year. I came into the month kinda down and low energy, but your enthusiasm in October and especially November was a huge pick me up during the times I felt really low. Thanks a lot. plagiarize going to be honest, I was amazed you kept up with Timu! Both of you were insane this year! Great work! zulux21 you're one of my favorites on the discord and I'm always thankful for the way you'd bump all the writing threads and engage with posters when you do. Nezumi you're always awesome and its always a blast doing hangouts with you! Thanks for picking up my slack when I can't make it to them! weemadarthur thanks for basically running the discord, and getting the writing bot going. I was really nervous about it (machine apocalypse and all that) but the bot was a lot of fun and I'm excited to play around with it more in the future. spider Thank you so much for the drawings you did, not just of my character, but all the characters you drew! They are all so good and everyone had so much fun with them and you made for a great way to end the last week of NaNoWriMo! Thank you again! And a final GIANT thanks to Cyan who supplied all the winning screen pictures and a lot of other materials when he handed off thread running duties to me. Some may remember him, some may not, but he occasionally appears on the discord like a ghost, doing writing sprints in the dark corners where no one is looking. Thanks for all the work you did over the years, I'm looking forward to reading your book in the future.

Now some of you may be wondering: What's next? Well first I'd recommend taking a break. Relax your hands a bit. Catch up on some reading or games. I heard a lot of giant games came out in November, maybe check out one of those? When you're ready, you can always get to editing. Feel free to continue posting in this thread after all this with status updates on your book whether you're going back and having fun rereading it or going through the struggle of editing through some messy chapters and just want to vent. There is also always the community WritersEra OT for you to come and chat about your future writings or even to just say hi. If you're into poetry/resurrecting the dead we've also got a Poetry Thread that occasionally burst into soliloquies and life at the oddest times

Lastly, if you want to keep writing with a great bunch of people (myself included), the Creative Writing Challenges are starting back up with our latest one themed "White Fields." These are hands down my favorite part of Era. They're a great way to make sure you're writing consistently and a good source of quick feedback about your writing style. Hope to see some of you there!

TO close out, I just want to say I'm always excited for the winners but it's the 67 people who put some words on page that end up meaning the most to me. It took me a lot of tries to actually win NaNoWriMo, and when I did win it was thanks to the enthusiasm and support of this thread. The fact you got some writing done is an astounding feat and you all deserve congratulations. To all the 67 people who found some time to come and write with us in this thread, thank you for coming. I hope you had as much fun as I did. See you all next year.

the_playing.png

Camp officially starts!
  • OP
    OP
    FlowersisBritish
    Oct 25, 2017
    Quick reminder to people that today Camp Nano officially starts today!

For those of you who don't know, Camp is basically regular NaNoWriMo only you set your own goals so it's a little more relaxed (if you so choose to make it relaxed). Camp happens in April and July and really you can do anything you want. Plan on adding to your novel? Go for it. Editing an old novel you wrote for November? Hell yeah! You can pretty much do whatever you want. For example: I've currently set a goal to do 25k words by the end of the month. If you have any questions, feel free to check out the official website.

Anyway, for people doing Camp, feel free to use this thread to talk about it and your progress.