• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It will be the focus for the first year and a half. Then people will be allowed to make games the way that works for them with only relatively quiet outrage directed at them.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
4K is still too expensive rendering wise. I rather have higher frame rate, which is actually improving gameplay. That said, some games benefit from higher res (read: more information displayed) and don't require 60fps. Like turnbased strategy and slow moving RTS. Those games are just not big on consoles. Chasing 4K just for its sake is dumb.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Something to consider, for people that want a focus on higher resolutions even if that means running at 30 FPS.
In motion, 30 FPS drops resolution to ~150 lines on the majority of displays; basically anything not using black frame insertion or interpolation.
And 60Hz BFI is not suitable for 30 FPS sources, since it will result in judder and double images.

60 FPS will have ~300 lines of resolution in motion, and 120 FPS will have ~600 lines of resolution.
Since most of your time in a game is spent moving rather than looking at static images, arguably the higher frame rate is more important as far as "resolution" is concerned.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I really don't give a shit about 4k because I don't have a 4k TV. I'd rather see 1080p at 60FPS next gen which still is not going to happen so...

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen priority ranking:

Ray tracing > 4K > 8K >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 60 fps

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will buy whatever console that gives me 4K/60fps.

Tired of 30 FPS. Especially playing Sekiro on base PS4 was the moment I was like "I'm done".

I will pay a premium, just give it to me.