• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From the main Sony next gen console thread people were discussing if the ray tracing solution was hardware or software based so someone decided to ask a lighting artist from Naughty Dog and he made the above comment. Not an official confirmation from Cerny or the like but Boon would be someone who seemingly should be in the know about such things. Would be highly impressive if indeed true.

Thanks RoboPlato for catching this tweet.

[Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, if they're going to sell this thing for $500 it's gotta have some trickery to its architecture.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
That comment will probably be deleted soon. Seems like a foolish thing to disclose like this
I don't think it's a huge disclosure. We were probably supposed to assume it was hardware RT when Cerny talked about it with Wired, everything he talked about was a core hardware feature. People just got suspicious since it was so surprising.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it would have been worth Cerny to mention if it wasn't hardware-based. Technically all modern GPUs can "support" ray tracing. Whether it can do it effectively is another question.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
games are going to look incredible, to bad they all have early 2000s physics

Last edited:

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
There you go! Now all those claming otherwise can shut up.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FixedGreenAmericankestrel-small.gif

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see how they are going to spec out a hardware RT budget for 1080p/30FPS and what exactly will the content be. Using 1-ray cast per pixel for a mirror reflection is unacceptable. I would eat my shoes if they are able to hardware accelerate GI/AO to the level of Metro on any next-gen console. Lastly, his comment clashes with the AMD tech head that said there would be no hardware RT anytime soon.
Uh that article specifically says he wouldn't say if there would be hardware support in the upcoming architecture, and it focused more on DXR and not the hardware capabilities.

GTX 1080 Ti has hardware based ray tracing too. Runs Metro Exodus like shit though lol.
?????? It has hw based ray tracing in the sense that it uses its hardware to render stuff, but it has no hw to specifically accelerate RT.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see how they are going to spec out a hardware RT budget for 1080p/30FPS and what exactly will the content be. Using 1-ray cast per pixel for a mirror reflection is unacceptable. I would eat my shoes if they are able to hardware accelerate GI/AO to the level of Metro on any next-gen console. Lastly, his comment clashes with the AMD tech head that said there would be no hardware RT anytime soon.

To be fair, I doubt the PS5 will be any time soon, and I'd imagine they'd have a custom solution of sorts, not an exact copy of whatever AMD plans to release this year in retail GPU's.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
i shouldn't have said animation, but i think its true that game worlds are far more rigid than they should be
Staring next-gen I think it's finally time to bid farewell to wooden hair and clothing, and welcome dynamic hair and clothing. We see it in some games but usually in a more limited nature. This is something I've wanted for a long time.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news. Next gen games will look incredible.

From a 1.3tflop base for third parties to a 10-14tflop base with ray tracing... I bet they're happy!

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I highly doubt it'll be a cross-gen title. But they could release a remastered version a few years later, yes?
I imagine Naughty Dog was one of the first studios to get a PS5 devkit and they already had to design the game for PS4 Pro enhancements. I don't think it's a stretch depending on when the game releases.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Compute units are hardware . It would be dumb to dedicate hardware to something on a console that only does one thing.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see ray tracing is going to make it next gen out of the gate. Really thought there was a big chance they'd skip support until at least the mid gen refresh if not the entire gen.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Uh that article specifically says he wouldn't say if there would be hardware support in the upcoming architecture, and it focused more on DXR and not the hardware capabilities.

In any case, he strongly claimed that if it happened on one it would need to be on all AMD hardware. But in any case, the question becomes to what capacity? RT right now only looks dramatically better than non-RT games using lighting. Reflections are an after thought and aren't being used like a path tracer would (i.e. blurred reflections and area light shaped specular highlights) implement them.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Does this mean PS5 games are going to have lighting that matches the recent Crytek demo?
That's not generally how demos work, but this is a cool development. I imagine this is tied more to AMD than to anything else. Though, who knows what Sony has done custom with AMD (but I don't imagine this will be locked only to PlayStation)

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
So glad to see ray tracing is going to make it next gen out of the gate. Really thought there was a big chance they'd skip support until at least the mid gen refresh if not the entire gen.

The ray tracing support in next gen consoles will be probably very rudimentary. Just to announce this feature in marketing material and tech demos but not many games will use it because it's eats way to much power.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Well without knowing that this artist means dedicated Silicon running the bvh intersection Tests + traversal it can easily just as mean running it as purely Compute Operation in a CU/in Compute purely on the Gpu.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
Katya first to be ray traced confirmed.

(Can't believe no one clocked Katya in the first 20 replies. For shame)