• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.naughtydog.com

Celebrating The Last of Us Day 2021 || Naughty Dog

A special TLOU Day community update

"Yeah, that's lovely and great Naughty Dog, but what are you doing with The Last of Us right now?"

In short, we're working on it - we see the community comments as many of you clamor for multiplayer and want updates. For now, we'll say that we love what the team is developing and want to give them time to build out their ambitious project, we'll reveal more when it's ready! To that end, we've been busy growing our team inside the kennel since The Last of Us Part II launched and are currently in full swing of hiring for MP-related positions (hint hint), so if you or somebody you know qualifies for anything you see on our jobs page, apply!

Looks like Factions will be bigger than imagined.

Oct 25, 2017
between this and TLOU1 remake I wonder how long it will be before we see a brand new game from ND (whether it be a new IP or TLOU3)

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
It's "The Last of Us" of Last of Us expansions.

No wait, hold on...

But in all seriousness, it is interesting how much effort they're putting into this project considering the studio has never been known for its multiplayer offerings.

Oct 25, 2017
Two things could possibly be happening. Either they're adding a battle royale or they're making it open-world similar in design like Red Dead Online.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Whatever it is, whenever it comes, I shall cherish it and play the living fuck outta it.

Take your time Naughty Gods. After delivering my GOAT of GOATs last year they have my full confidence.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
15 months since the game launched and it's still early enough that they won't tell us anything about it other than it still exists.

I can only imagine it's going to be very different from the original multiplayer. I personally hope it's not too different as I loved factions and would have been very happy with more of that (with TLoU2 gameplay!) but I guess they want to do something more than that... seemingly much more?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
As long as it's MP that has infected in it cool, I loved Last of Us MP but it should've had a mode or something that had infected in it.

If what they're working on doesn't have some kind of horde mode then that'll be disappointing.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love that they're seemingly going big for this. I'm a bit nervous though that they're maybe going too big and it's gonna be dead in 6 months at the expense of the biggest F2P fare - when maybe a simple factions facelift might've sufficed.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah glad they are going more ambitious with this.

While tlou mp was cool, I'd be disappointed if it was just that again,but now with new maps.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
There's gotta be SOMETHING they can share with the class.. Premise? Consoles? A damn cgi trailer? Come on now.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Feels like something out of Rockstart they are working on. They must be doing a huge multiplayer world and building on modes around it.

What if it's something like the original DayZ mod? I mean BR came out of that but more about survival in the wild. There might be 100 or so players in the server. You can keep playing and can either work with others or make *ahem* Factions to survive longer. Enemy AI roams the map and need to avade the hoards (Days Gone like zombie groups) going into random areas. They could stumble into your camp or I a middle of a fire fight.

Something tells me they have found a neat way to expand BR and the IP going forward. There is no way they are investing all this time for a simple BR or Factions mode.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
We might see it next year? Maybe? It's difficult to say since we know so little about the state of the game other than it's a full-fledged project. Very excited to see what it is though.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
The longer this takes the less excited I am. Over a year since the game launched and nothing to show for it, not even scope of what they want to do.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah I'm starting to think they just started from scratch after Part II launched, probably 2023 at the earliest and I'm starting to fear it's gonna be a very long wait until Naughty Dog's next brand new Single Player game.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
This is a standalone game so it's basically a new production. I think any chance of it being just a spin-off of TLOU2 died a while back. This is ND's next big high profile release

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
With it being separated from TLoU 2, yeah we kinda figured it was ambitious.

I wouldnt be surprised if ppl are still playing Factions from TLoU 1 to this day.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Make it a standalone Tarkov-lite and I'll be there day one despite not caring very much for the story based games.

Oct 25, 2017
It could be but I wouldn't take this to mean the game is 3 years away, multiplayer games don't normally get revealed years in advance like a typical Naughty Dog game.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders when this comes out, will it release on PS4, PS5 and PC? And if it happens to be very popular, will a huge chunk of ND more than those in the multiplayer team be permanently assigned to it to maintain it and add new content, while ND's new single player games take longer to come out unless they expand more.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Part of me wonders when this comes out, will it release on PS4, PS5 and PC? And if it happens to be very popular, will a certain chunk of ND be permanently assigned to it to maintain it and add new content, while ND's new single player games take longer to come out unless they expand more.
I doubt it will be on PS4 esp if it sounds like this is probably something that won't be out til at least a conservative estimate of 2024 based on it being way larger of a move for them it sounds like to me. They prob expanded scope a lot. Maybe we get to see it late next year or 2023. Maybe it does make it to PC as well though.

Nov 24, 2017
If i had to guess, theyre using factions to get used to acquainted with next gen (ps5) development, much like they did with TLOU remaster back on PS4. While I suspect the game is cross gen, theyll want to gain enough experience, technique, and engine maturity to jump yo the next game. Course it theyve likely got a skeleton crew working on that.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I bet we get a native PS5 version of Last of Us 2 and Last of Us remake and Factions is both cross play and standalone.

May 17, 2018
The longer this takes the less excited I am. Over a year since the game launched and nothing to show for it, not even scope of what they want to do.

What, them saying the exact same quote (even linking directly to it) from two years ago didn't give you enough?

God, I'm steaming over this update. Making people wait all day just for someone's blog post that gives no real updates and then calling it a "celebration."

So, no updates on multiplayer. Nothing about a PS5 port. Just a picture from the show and some clothes. Insulting, honestly.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Damn, sounds like this will be a very late 2022 or early 2023 title. Also, sounds much more ambitious than a simple "Factions 2".

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Naughty Dog the only ones to still give me that AAA third person stealth game experience. Whether in single player or upcoming multiplayer form. They can take all the time they need to make it great.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Shared online world like Destiny seems suited for TLoU. You can have the town settlement serve as the hub world where you get mission, form parties etc like in Destiny, Then go out to open world, explore, find loot and some instanced dungeon etc
Yep this is what I am thinking - I believe we have already heard that ND is looking to tell stories in MP, so that would be a natural gameplay structure.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I doubt it will be on PS4 esp if it sounds like this is probably something that won't be out til at least a conservative estimate of 2024 based on it being way larger of a move for them it sounds like to me. They prob expanded scope a lot. Maybe we get to see it late next year or 2023. Maybe it does make it to PC as well though.

i say ps5 exclusive if its a 2023 title with maybe a pc release later. If it came out this year or first half of 2022 i'd say it would be cross gen

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
What, them saying the exact same quote (even linking directly to it) from two years ago didn't give you enough?

God, I'm steaming over this update. Making people wait all day someone's blog post that gives no real updates and then calling it a "celebration."

So, no updates on multiplayer. Nothing about a PS5 port. Just a picture from the show and some clothes. Insulting, honestly.
Overdramatic too much? Stop acting so entitled, they are working on the game and never promised to give any big update today.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

God, I'm steaming over this update. Making people wait all day someone's blog post that gives no real updates and then calling it a "celebration."

This is what TLOU Day always is though… not sure why you expected any of those big-ticket items.