• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
From kostacurtas on the PS thread:

Careers || Naughty Dog

LEVEL / ENVIRONMENT DESIGNER (MULTIPLAYER)

Embark on Naughty Dog's newest adventure – the studio's first standalone multiplayer game! We're seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.

Our level design process is based around giving the designer the maximum amount of control and flexibility over the design of the space: rather than assembling prefabs, our level designers model directly in 3D. If you're someone who can create realistic spaces with strong identity and compelling gameplay, we would love to talk to you!

Careers || Naughty Dog

GAMEPLAY SCRIPTER (MULTIPLAYER - TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT)

Embark on Naughty Dog's newest adventure – the studio's first standalone multiplayer game! We're seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.

Our powerful scripting language is foundational both to our trademark polish as well as the rapid prototyping of new systems and mechanics. If you know how to get impressive results from a game engine quickly and are excited join an innovative multiplayer team, we'd love to talk to you!

PushSquare made a post about it as well:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It would be interesting if they took the concept/game design of Factions and turned it into its own new IP.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing they are not owned by Square Enix or their game would end up being called "Standalone Multiplayer Project".

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for me as I'm not a fan of their singleplayer campaigns but their multiplayer portions.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious to see the scope of this. And also wondering how they are going to monetize it.

Full-price with cosmetic microtransactions like Overwatch? F2P with season passes like the most played BR games?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Well, shit. I hope they've got more than one project in the pipeline. It's gonna suck to cross the dev that brought me over to PS off my list.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm feeling Factions could be a 2023 game. Since they spun it off in 2019, they could have rebooted development and kept some of the ideas they had for this standalone project.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
I'd like to see a co-op third person action/adventure from Naughty Dog, just to see what they'd be able to do with the genre. Currently we really only have Hazelight making bigger co-op games, but giving a studio like ND a chance to make a lower budget forced co-op game would likely do wonders.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Sounds cool as long as they're still working on single player stuff.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Sounds cool as long as they're still working on single player stuff.
Ya from what I gather they've had a dedicated MP team for the past while, it's just being expanded now that they're putting out a game on their own.

I'm gonna be Really Annoying Online if we get to the end of the generation and ND's transitioned to becoming a live-service MP only studio… BUT I don't think we're gonna see that :)

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My guess is this is a mid-2022 title, and the studio is using it to learn about how to use the PS5, leveraging that knowledge toward a traditional single-player title that they're developing now.

Same goes for the TLOU remake.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I feel like when Herman Hulst was casually like "whose to say we can't tell stories in multiplayer games right?" or something to that effect in his interview recently, he was likely alluding to this.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Damn Factions seems to be far out. Must of not of even been considered until the outcry for it started when they said Factions wasn't coming to TLOU2

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Yeeeessss!!! This is shaping up to be what I predicted. An online, co-op experience set in the TLoU universe.

Deleted member 96395

Alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
How long have they been working on Factions anyway? This doesn't seem like it is Factions but a new game tbh, Factions need to be closer to release at this point.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Intriguing 🤔 is it still Factions? Is it its own IP? Is it a canon in-universe TLoU Factions multiplayer mode that will follow some kind of story? Is it WLF vs Seraphites?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is what the Factions team was working on but that it might not even be in the TLOU universe anymore, might be a new IP possibly? Or not, either option is cool.

Very excited anyway.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a feeling Factions is a lot further out than we think it is.
If it's a standalone multiplayer game…I would assume that they would be supporting the game over a period of time (maps, dlc, microtransactions ,battle passes, free content, etc). That could require multiple designers and more devs to sustain post release support.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
A PvPvE open world battle royale game in the LoU universe would be pretty neat.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I hope the cosmetic outfits are good because most of the ones in Uncharted 4 are terrible.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I can imagine people ranting online saying naughty dog to leave its politics/story/agenda out of their online game.

I'm really intrigued to see this new take on online gaming by Naughty Dog. Can't wait.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
TLoU is my favorite Sony franchise and while I may not have enjoyed the more recent Uncharted MP, I did like the time I spent with the first Factions and Uncharted 2 MP. In for whatever this ends up being Day 1.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds exciting, I can't wait to see what they can put into the MP space with the sorts of budget and skill sets they have access too.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
He didn't, I remember checking the podcast again looking for a hint at that just to find out that people misquoted him/took his speculation as a fact.

Hmm, I was sure he mentioned it. My bad if I was misremembering. I'll take another listen later on when I have more time.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
This is probably factions. Them hiring new positions doesn't mean it's still far out. Could be for life support or new additional maps.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tlou came out last year. i would hope production of the online component is wrapping up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The meltdown on Era if the follow-up to The Last of Us Part II (not including Factions) was a full fledged multiplayer game would be absolutely incredible.