• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

appaws

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From an American point of view there should be nothing controversial about it. They were our enemies in the biggest war in history, not to mention utterly evil mass murderers. I would have no problem with a killing commies game either, tbh.

beanybody

Oct 29, 2017
Wolfenstein marketing legitimately got me to pickup the first game and DLC to check it out. If I like it I'll be buying the new one. It's been quite a long time since marketing convinced me to buy a game.

I don't recall a lot of the marketing from the first game, but I remember being a bit shocked at PAX that year going by the Bethesda booth. They had giant screens showing Nazi flags over the show floor. It seemed like a flagrant use of Nazi symbolism for shock value at the time.

That being said, I absolutely loved the first game, and can't wait to play this one. It's sad how common it is now to see Nazis all over the news. Marketing or not, I was very happy to see Bethesda's defense on the tone of their marketing of this game.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I think Far Cry 5 should be even more controversial than Wolfenstein II. While Ubisoft isn't being as provocative as MachineGames, the villains in FC5 (a religious cult in rural Montana) are perhaps a little more relatable to some people, and a little less obviously evil like Nazis are. If Wolfenstein II ruffled some feathers, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Far Cry 5. I'm not sure the mainstream has really noticed Far Cry 5 yet, but it should be a pretty high profile release.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I think Far Cry 5 should be even more controversial than Wolfenstein II. While Ubisoft isn't being as provocative as MachineGames, the villains in FC5 (a religious cult in rural Montana) are perhaps a little more relatable to some people, and a little less obviously evil like Nazis are. If Wolfenstein II ruffled some feathers, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Far Cry 5. I'm not sure the mainstream has really noticed Far Cry 5 yet, but it should be a pretty high profile release.
The bad guys in FC5 are a non-discriminating cult.