• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not debating that they are successful. I'm just saying we tend to trade for players to keep us relevant. Free agents (especially marquee ones aside from LeBron) haven't exactly been lining up to sign here for quite some time.
While I suppose this is true, they didn't need to sign any marquee free agents for nearly 20 years since they had a top 5 player in Kobe leading the team, during a time where 1 top 5 player was all you really needed to compete. I did say they either sign and/or trade for top players. Their last 5 championship teams were made possible through signings and trades; ie. Shaq signing and trading for Kobe in the draft. Trading for Pau and Odom. We also can discount their ability to retain top players which they've seemingly always been able to do.

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What competitive team isn't willing to cash in its future to win now? NBA championship windows are typically short. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm struggling to think of a situation where teams competing for the Championship aren't actively trading away firsts for help. It makes perfect sense, because teams in contention are trying to add to their teams, not subtract, and teams that aren't in position to compete are looking to the future.
Usually teams are trading 1sts for role players to bolster their roster, and those picks are either a) in the current or upcoming season or b) protected. Show me a team besides the Clippers in the PG trade that gave up unprotected picks from what, 5 or 6 years away, to win now.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lakers haven't had cap space from the Kobe/Shaq days until pretty recently and by then the team was bad.
This is also true.
While I suppose this is true, they didn't need to sign any marquee free agents for nearly 20 years since they had a top 5 player in Kobe leading the team, during a time where 1 top 5 player was all you really needed to compete. I did say they either sign and/or trade for top players. We also can discount their ability to retain top players which they've seemingly always been able to do.
Yeah the era's are waaaaaay different now. It started with the big 3 Celtics but accelerated once the Heatles joined forces.

The Raptors seem to be the exception to the rule of needing seemingly 2 superstars to win a title.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
This is also true.

Yeah the era's are waaaaaay different now. It started with the big 3 Celtics but accelerated once the Heatles joined forces.

The Raptors seem to be the exception to the rule of needing seemingly 2 superstars to win a title.
The Lakers in Kobe's final years were screwed over by a string of bad trades and signings (trading for Dwight, signing and waiving Nash) which hampered that team as it did. Even then, they were only bad for 3-4 seasons, which is really nothing when you compare them to most franchises in the NBA. The main reason why Lakers are where they are now is simply because of their franchise history and location and I don't see that alure changing unless the LBJ and AD era goes horribly wrong.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lakers in Kobe's final years were screwed over by a string of bad trades and signings which hampered that team like it did. Even then, they were only bad for 3-4 seasons, which is really nothing when you compare them to most franchises in the NBA. The main reason why Lakers are where they are now is simply because of their franchise history and location and I don't see that alure changing unless the LBJ and AD era goes horribly.
I really felt the Kobe/Nash/Pau/Dwight team had a chance, I believe they had the best record in the league the second half of the season. They were playing really well, and Kobe popped his Achilles and that was that. Previous 2 years we were eliminated by the Western Conference Champs.

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really felt the Kobe/Nash/Pau/Dwight team had a chance, I believe they had the best record in the league the second half of the season. They were playing really well, and Kobe popped his Achilles and that was that. Previous 2 years we were eliminated by the Western Conference Champs.
1-8 record in those series lol

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Kobe's injury definitely closed that team's window almost immediately. That aftermath of that season is what caused the Lakers to 1. Have nearly no trade assets because of the Dwight trade and him and Pau both leaving in FA for nothing. 2. Nash being hurt and taking up nearly $9M in cap space per year for nothing. 3. Kobe's crazy deal hampered their cap space even further and made it very hard for them to pursue anyone else seriously.

I really just bring all this up because even though the Lakers FO has shown themselves to incompetent in recent years, yet they are still in the position they are in right now. Even when you count them out they still find a way to rebuild, and rebuild quickly.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
This Buddy Buddy era cannot compared to before when nearly every single team has a top player they drafted. Drafting and GM are becoming less and less relevant if this continues. I dont know how that can even be debated.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
And it only took a thousand posts of pictures of a high school kid and tweets from a Trump supporter to solve the mystery

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ask to have your account deleted

Come back right away

Banned for having an alt account

somber jmon

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how did it take them months to figure that one out lmao

I figured they were just cool with it, the last FZZ ban was user requested

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
how did it take them months to figure that one out lmao

I figured they were just cool with it, the last FZZ ban was user requested

That's what I thought too lol. How can you be a alt account if your old account was perm deleted.

Come back right away

It was something like 6 months later I think, not right away. Midway thru the season he requested a perm deletion. Came back for playoffs.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Mods are cracking down on Ball pics. I support this bold new move that will bring this thread back to sanity.

Now hurry up and trade for Russ, Miami, I'm getting nervous.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
The flattened lottery odds also make unprotected picks and pick swaps out into the future much more valuable. I know it's been said, but can't be overstated how different a couple lottery-protected firsts over the next two years are vs. unprotected picks and swaps that far into the future.

Also, LBJ has not traditionally left his teams with full cupboards of young assets when he leaves franchises.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
FZZ came back like

cheyau_xiaegnps.jpg

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
If the Knicks and Lakers make the finals, Morris could be the only thing stopping LeBron from getting 50. 🤔

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hear charles barkley made the call to morris

he didn't know about the san antonio women

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only 20 years of excellence.

Man must be tough!
They won 61 games the year after Duncan retired. Lakers wish they could get to that disastrous level. Or hell even posting a winning season or making the playoffs any time in the next season

Not their fault Kawhi turned out to be a bitch who left them at the altar

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
They won 61 games the year after Duncan retired. Lakers wish they could get to that disastrous level. Or hell even posting a winning season or making the playoffs any time in the next season

Not their fault Kawhi turned out to be a bitch who left them at the altar
Spura and Lakers can finally agree to something.

No. 2 is a bitch ass bitch.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Just because the Spurs drafted Leonard doesn't give them them the go ahead to run him into the ground while injured.

The NBA isn't horseracing no matter how much the Spurs wanted to take him out back and shoot him like they do at Santa Anita.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Then traded him for a declining top 40 player to seek mediocrity for the next decade

At this point it's better to keep the playoff streak alive. There will be plenty of time to rebuild in a few years when Pop retires. DDR's contract comes off the books after next year (unless he opts in, then 2 yrs). Plus they lost Dejounte before the 18-19 season started, who's already an all-NBA defensive player and will make a leap offensively this year. They continue to find draft steals with Derrick White and Lonnie Walker.

Just because the Spurs drafted Leonard doesn't give them them the go ahead to run him into the ground while injured.

They didn't run him into the ground at all. The Spurs basically invented load management. He played 9 games in 2017-2018, and his own medical team was fully in charge of his rehab starting in August of 2017. He sat out purposely because he knew he was going to force his way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.