• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ex-Lakers young core went from duds to studs real quick. Crazy what a change in scenery will do for you. The only member of the Lakers young core who is still considered a chump in the eyes of fans is Kuzma, and he's still on the Lakers. Crazy how that works.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 56595

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 8, 2019
lmao lets hope he shoots more than 50+% from the line but he's been a 30+% from 3 since his rookie year

then again Servbot is a tiny dicked cac so are we really shocked

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He won't get hurt this year because he is not going to have to kill himself playing defense and getting rebounds.

The Pelicans don't even have to win. There is no pressure. He can just focus on his stats and trying to improve as a player.

Its now or never for him to make that jump to the next level.

I am betting on Zo to do it.
So what we've seen is win mode Lonzo

Lol

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ex-Lakers young core went from duds to studs real quick. Crazy what a change in scenery will do for you. The only member of the Lakers young core who is still considered a chump in the eyes of fans is Kuzma, and he's still on the Lakers. Crazy how that works.

This is 100% factual. It's funny how at first the Lakers package was trash and shouldn't be considered then the second the trade went through the Lakers were "fleeced." I'm not calling anyone here out specifically but that sentiment is pretty common.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): engaging in hostile and inappropriate rhetoric
lmao lets hope he shoots more than 50+% from the line but he's been a 30+% from 3 since his rookie year

then again Servbot is a tiny dicked cac so are we really shocked
You're into adolescents though, I would think small dicks are your thing

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I'm all in on the Pels as soon as Griff manages to ship out BI

This is 100% factual. It's funny how at first the Lakers package was trash and shouldn't be considered then the second the trade went through the Lakers were "fleeced." I'm not calling anyone here out specifically but that sentiment is pretty common.
huh wonder if that has anything to do with the unprotected draft pick and swaps with options that were added to the trade

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the lakers package that was called trash at the deadline (which it was) didn't include the #4 pick and like 3 unprotected 1sts or swaps through 2025...

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in on the Pels as soon as Griff manages to ship out BI

huh wonder if that has anything to do with the unprotected draft pick and swaps with options that were added to the trade
the lakers package that was called trash at the deadline (which it was) didn't include the #4 pick and like 3 unprotected 1sts or swaps through 2025...

I'm speaking of the players, not the picks. They were immediately looked out in a different light.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I'm speaking of the players, not the picks. They were immediately looked out in a different light.
This isn't what you posted, though
It's funny how at first the Lakers package was trash and shouldn't be considered then the second the trade went through the Lakers were "fleeced."
Obviously people's reactions to "the trade" (which I thought shaded much more toward "Griffin did amazingly to do as well as he did" vs "the Lakers were fleeced") were shaped by the combo of picks and players. The value of Lonzo and BI and Hart is framed by the fact that they're now add-ons to a great pick package instead of the jewels of an AD trade.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reactions to the AD (and PG to be honest) trade has everything to do with the way people tend to overrate the importance and value of "First round pick", especially when it's something that isn't going to convey for years and years. Yeah, it could turn out to be a "haul", but there's as much, if not better, of a chance that those picks are going to turn into fringe rotation players or starters as there is that they will become All Stars or Franchise cornerstones. They are never more popular or valuable than they are now, before they convey and you have to finally put a name/face to it. It's like the loot box of sports transactions.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reactions to the AD (and PG to be honest) trade has everything to do with the way people tend to overrate the importance and value of "First round pick", especially when it's something that isn't going to convey for years and years. Yeah, it could turn out to be a "haul", but there's as much, if not better, of a chance that those picks are going to turn into fringe rotation players or starters as there is that they will become All Stars or Franchise cornerstones. They are never more popular or valuable than they are now, before they convey and you have to finally put a name/face to it. It's like the loot box of sports transactions.
Yup, especially because if the Lakers have any sort of success they aren't going to be lottery picks. Everyone overvalues picks because of what they are "supposed" to be. Oh, it's a pick in the top 3? All star player with all pro potential. That rarely works out that way.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Pics are also important because you can trade them for an actual player. If the Pelicans decided they wanted to give away a bunch of the Lakers picks I bet they could get Westbrook this week.

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't overrated 1st round picks, but I do believe trading a handful of them 5 years away when you don't know what the your team or even the league will look like is incredibly risky.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't overrated 1st round picks, but I do believe trading a handful of them 5 years away when you don't know what the your team or even the league will look like is incredibly risky.

It's risky, but I think in recent memory - there's more examples of a team winning it all due to taking risks than being conservative. The Warriors are the exception to the rule in terms of a team winning on the backs of smart draft selections, developing internal talent, and free agency pickups. Usually, successful teams mortgage their future in an attempt to win now.

Being conservative instead of aggressive is the reason Los Angeles missed out on Paul George. They'd probably have a much stronger team right now had they just made the trade for him, instead of playing it safe and assuming he'd come to them in free agency.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
What recent team pushed all in giving up a shiton of draft picks and won other than the Raptors because GS got decimated. GS homegrown added KD.. In the East LeBron stacked the deck. None of required big risks or assets.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
What recent team pushed all in giving up a shiton of draft picks and won other than the Raptors because GS got decimated. GS homegrown added KD.. In the East LeBron stacked the deck. None of required big risks or assets.
Lakers should be judged differently. They have shown time and time again that even if their front office is a mess or their team is bad that they still have a chance to attract big-name free agents and/or trade for them. Draft picks don't matter as much when they are used only as trade currency and not as building the foundation of a championship-caliber team.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lakers should be judged differently. They have shown time and time again that even if their front office is a mess or their team is bad that they still have a chance to attract big-name free agents and/or trade for them. Draft picks don't matter as much when they are used only as trade currency and not as building the foundation of a championship-caliber team.
I don't really buy into this. Before LBJ came here as a free agent who was the last big name free agent we signed? I remember even LaMarcus Aldridge turning us down.

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah not sure i agree that successful teams always mortgage their future. even the cavs, when trying to build a team around lebron, put lottery protections on their future 1sts just in case they were bad.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I don't really buy into this. Before LBJ came here as a free agent who was the last big name free agent we signed? I remember even LaMarcus Aldridge turning us down.
That was only like 4 seasons ago, which also happened to be Kobe's last season so no one wanted to sign with that team. Even after LeBron retires and AD potentially leaves in 2024(?), history says they will be bad for only a few seasons at most and do it all over again. Players just want to play for the Lakers and live in LA.

Prior to this recent slump, they had only missed the playoffs twice from 1980-2013. Fans of other teams might have it but the Lakers always find a way to rebuild and be relevant. I say this as a Bulls fan.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
What competitive team isn't willing to cash in its future to win now? NBA championship windows are typically short. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm struggling to think of a situation where teams competing for the Championship aren't actively trading away firsts for help. It makes perfect sense, because teams in contention are trying to add to their teams, not subtract, and teams that aren't in position to compete are looking to the future.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was only like 4 seasons ago, which also happened to be Kobe's last season so no one wanted to sign with that team. Even after LeBron retires and AD potentially leaves in 2024(?), history says they will be bad for only a few seasons at most and do it all over again. Players just want to play for the Lakers and live in LA.

Prior to this recent slump, they had only missed the playoffs twice from 1980-2013. Fans of other teams might have it but the Lakers always find a way to rebuild and be relevant. I say this as a Bulls fan.
I'm not debating that they are successful. I'm just saying we tend to trade for players to keep us relevant. Free agents (especially marquee ones aside from LeBron) haven't exactly been lining up to sign here for quite some time.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most championship teams have some homegrown talent that was a major part of winning. They didn't have to sacrifice everything in a big trade to get their superstars. Warriors best players were in house until they added KD. Heat had Wade. Lakers had Kobe. Spurs had Duncan, Robinson and Kawhi. Mavs had Dirk. Celtics had Pierce. Cavs had leBron and kyrie. Bulls had Jordan. Houston had Hakeem. Pistons had Rodman. Celtics had Bird. Lakers had Magic. Etc etc

It's a *very* recent phenomenon of ya team being hot ass for years, like the lakers have been for half a decade, or just irrelevant with no star players like the clippers, and then trying to build a super team from the outside. It usually costs a whole lot, both in free agent signings(keeping a bunch of flunkies/expiring contracts around to have enough cap space to sign a max guy) but also in trading for a major player, too. It's a whole lot cheaper if you already drafted a star player and just need that one extra piece to set it over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.