• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to begrudge people a "no comment" here -- given the consequences of comment, at least taking your time to consider things seems wise -- but, yeah, still.

I think what grinds me is that athletes/coaches often get credit for having the "courage" to "speak out", but then we come to the first moment that would take genuine conviction, where you're facing actual power, and not some rednecks that want to legislate bathroom usage, or a widely-despised geriatric, and, well, we get this as the response.

Again, I don't want to hold professional athletes and coaches to the standard of holding an opinion on every issue, but it's not like the situation is incredibly morally complex. Obviously it's fine for athletes to just be athletes, but, for those who have already made it clear that they intend to use their platform to speak on social issues, disappointment seems a fair response.
Yep, not blaming him for worrying about his job and money. Just disappointed given how he tries to present himself as someone who really cares about social issues and speaks out against Trump. Seems like he just wants to get some positive attention, but isn't willing to do it when there's real consequences on the line. In that sense, it's kinda hard to take him seriously when he does his soapbox routine.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, not blaming him for worrying about his job and money. Just disappointed given how he tries to present himself as someone who really cares about social issues and speaks out against Trump. Seems like he just wants to get some positive attention, but isn't willing to do it when there's real consequences on the line. In that sense, it's kinda hard to take him seriously when he does his soapbox routine.
He said he doesn't understand the issue well enough to comment and will do more research. That is an admirable statement that more people should be willing to say (and follow through on).

Oct 27, 2017
You seem to have some sort of agenda against him by the way you are posting in all of these threads. Of course he cares more about his back yard then what going on across the world. It affects him. Maybe China means more to you and that's fine but frankly I care more about racial injustice than stopping China from being evil which I have zero control over. Get out of here with that nonsense, wanting positive attention. Maybe it don't matter to you but being against racism isn't about brownie points

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
He said he doesn't understand the issue well enough to comment and will do more research. That is an admirable statement that more people should be willing to say (and follow through on).
Yeah, I agree that's a reasonable thing to do. I actually really respected Kerr for what he's said in the past, which is what makes his "no comment" here fairly disappointing. Reading the replies of you and other posters on Kerr's response makes me think I'm reading too much into his interview. It's just kind of shocking to me that the Chinese government can legitimately push its censorship this far, and threaten the NBA to fire Morey for speaking up on human rights. To me, it seems like there should be an obvious stand here, which I thought someone like Kerr would make. I am glad Silver kind of came to his senses and posted the league statement on this matter today.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
No, just no. That is called evading the issue. Not sure who predicted on twitter that this would happen, think it might've even been Bill Simmons, but he nailed it this time.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
"Actually I don't," Kerr said when asked if he has thoughts on the controversy. "It's a really bizarre international story. A lot of us don't know what to make of it. It's something I'm reading about like everybody is, but I'm not gonna comment further."
"Admirable statement"

source.gif

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Uninformed people barking their opinions are a problem. Learn first, then speak.
It's the biggest story in NBA news for the last four or five days.

Kerr is known for being outspoken politically, to his credit.

There is a 0% chance he hasn't sat down with someone and asked "what's this all about." There's no chance that he actually knows nothing. You can't be this naive.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the biggest story in NBA news for the last four or five days.

Kerr is known for being outspoken politically, to his credit.

There is a 0% chance he hasn't sat down with someone and asked "what's this all about." There's no chance that he actually knows nothing. You can't be this naive.
It's much bigger than the NBA. It's a foreign political issue with depth. He may not have researched the nuance of it yet considering he is preparing a revamped team for the new season.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well NBA will always be for USA so I'm not really surprised with their stance on this. They will protect their interests first, and that includes Chinese market, which is huge for the NBA. So you'll just be disappointed if you are expecting something different with regards to their response.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
It's much bigger than the NBA. It's a foreign political issue with depth. He may not have researched the nuance of it yet considering he is preparing a revamped team for the new season.
You called a PR response to a huge human rights issue an "admirable statement". Maybe you didn't express yourself like you wanted to, or it was a bad take, and that's okay. But the fact that you're doubling down on it is worrisome.

I can't believe you really think Kerr isn't versed on the subject enough when its the biggest thing on the NBA for a while, it directly affects his livelihood and he most likely already been briefed by the team on what to say or what words to use when trying to convey his point. Also, imagine thinking this is the type of issue you need to months of research on because "hey, what is China is right? What if they are the good guys here?"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You called a PR response to a huge human rights issue an "admirable statement". Maybe you didn't express yourself like you wanted to, or it was a bad take, and that's okay. But the fact that you're doubling down on it is worrisome.
I think it's admirable for people to say that they need to do research before speaking and I stand by that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply with "worrisome".

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017

I can't believe you really think Kerr isn't versed on the subject enough when its the biggest thing on the NBA for a while, it directly affects his livelihood and he most likely already been briefed by the team on what to say or what words to use when trying to convey his point. Also, imagine thinking this is the type of issue you need to months of research on because "hey, what is China is right? What if they are the good guys here?"
I am willing to give Kerr the benefit of the doubt that he really is completely in the dark about China-HK relations. But even still, to hear that the Chinese government is pushing the NBA to fire Morey for speaking up for human rights and social issues (something that Kerr himself is known to do in the past)...I feel like that is something easy to chime in and be like, hey maybe it's wrong for the NBA to give into censorship to appease a foreign government because money. You don't necessarily need a ton of research to understand that fundamental element.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I am willing to give Kerr the benefit of the doubt that he really is completely in the dark about China-HK relations. But even still, to hear that the Chinese government is pushing the NBA to fire Morey for speaking up for human rights and social issues (something that Kerr himself is known to do in the past)...I feel like that is something easy to chime in and be like, hey maybe it's wrong for the NBA to give into censorship to appease a foreign government because money. You don't necessarily need a ton of research to understand that fundamental element.
I don't blame Kerr for not speaking out against it. It's his livelihood on the line, so I understand. I actually have people close to me being put in the same situation by the Chinese government in the past, they did the same thing. I just think that was a PR answer and while we should not give him shit, don't think we should be praising him either.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Adam Silver getting dunked on from both sides, how much does he want to punch Morey's fat face right about now? At least there won't be any more of those cheesy Rakuten ads.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
China is so petty...they even ordered immediate removal of NBA related media from Air China entertainment systems for lol

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to begrudge people a "no comment" here -- given the consequences of comment, at least taking your time to consider things seems wise -- but, yeah, still.

I think what grinds me is that athletes/coaches often get credit for having the "courage" to "speak out", but then we come to the first moment that would take genuine conviction, where you're facing actual power, and not some rednecks that want to legislate bathroom usage, or a widely-despised geriatric, and, well, we get this as the response.

Again, I don't want to hold professional athletes and coaches to the standard of holding an opinion on every issue, but it's not like the situation is incredibly morally complex. Obviously it's fine for athletes to just be athletes, but, for those who have already made it clear that they intend to use their platform to speak on social issues, disappointment seems a fair response.

Where's Popovich in all of this? If he stays silent it'll be genuinely disappointing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Drake officially exposed as a fraud just like the Raptors and all Torontonians in general don't @ me p.s Kobe is a rapist

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Why not have Beadle and Nichols both on the Jump

Beadle is really good at being on television. Not good enough to make me watch a pregame show without Barkley on it, but for the time I've accidentally left her unmuted, she was really good. Not her fault she had to carry those losers.

EDIT: I thought I saw something about Bill Simmons looking to get back on tv covering nba games. Someone make that happen.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If you're gonna be pissed at Adam Silver for something, let it be allowing for these former player "analysts" to take a shit all over his product before, during, and after games.

Status
Not open for further replies.