• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Ingram is just Evan Turner. Secondary creation is valueless if you take more than that off the table with the fact you can't space and aren't efficient. Ingram would have to go a long way to be as good an offensive player as DeMar DeRozan, and, well, look at his career on-off numbers.

He also ruins the aesthetics of NO with his ball stopping/inefficient jumpers/generally-low-BBIQ play. Hoping the trade comes sooner rather than later (and desperately hope Griff doesn't re-sign him).

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
basketball questions only as a way to deflect from one of the biggest basketball stories of the decade

that's an angle, I guess

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the NBA. If you have League Pass, cancel it. Boycott the games. Encourage others to do the same. This kind of shit is unacceptable and it's insulting considering that basketball is associated with bringing hope to kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who've faced oppression their entire lives.

Social justice my ass.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Just realized they're in Japan right now not China, so it's not even like a question of personal safety if you speak up and answer the question.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Ingram is just Evan Turner. Secondary creation is valueless if you take more than that off the table with the fact you can't space and aren't efficient. Ingram would have to go a long way to be as good an offensive player as DeMar DeRozan, and, well, look at his career on-off numbers.

He also ruins the aesthetics of NO with his ball stopping/inefficient jumpers/generally-low-BBIQ play. Hoping the trade comes sooner rather than later (and desperately hope Griff doesn't re-sign him).
Ahhhhhh now you see what I have seen since his first season in LA, hes a terrible player.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the NBA. If you have League Pass, cancel it. Boycott the games. Encourage others to do the same. This kind of shit is unacceptable and it's insulting considering that basketball is associated with bringing hope to kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who've faced oppression their entire lives.

Social justice my ass.

Jesus. I am super amped for this season but the NBA is doing everything they can to make me no longer want to be a fan.

Nov 27, 2017
California
They only care about social justice if it doesn't have an effect on their bank account
They legit sold "I can't breathe" shirts

LeBron gets a shit load from Nike and warner brothers wants space jam 2 to be shown in China so he's not saying shit

No one is going to say shit this season, even the washed players since they go to China to get paid

Again
$$$$$$ always wins

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NBA more shook than Brandon Ingram 👀

Social justice my ass.

I really don't want to hear these players talking about politics or social justice again. It's obvious NBA sent a league-wide memo to teams and told players to not comment or say they don't have enough experience to talk about it.

And that's fine. They don't have to discuss this if they don't want to.

But then just keep social justice and politics out of the sport, out of your platform. Because it's obvious you care when it can help fatten your wallet but you don't care the moment you might lose a little bit of income.

While I'm at it let me say fuck Stephen A Smith, fucking clown.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
+1 to everything everyone's said about the China situation this page. Infuriating. We tolerated an asymmetric trade relationship with China because we expected to export our values, and now, not only has that not happened, but it looks like we're importing theirs.

important to note, we're not importing their values, money over everything is as American as it comes. the self-censorship is just the means in this specific situation and a show of how far we will go to uphold our very American values. it's always (always been, always is, always will be) the dollars.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
important to note, we're not importing their values, money over everything is as American as it comes. the self-censorship is just the means in this specific situation and a show of how far we will go to uphold our very American values. it's always (always been, always is, always will be) the dollars.
I mean, you can quibble over the definition of "our values." To be explicit, the assumption was that opening the trade relationship with China would push them toward a freer, more democratic society, and that it was worth pushing past them shutting off their domestic markets to American software companies, the industrial espionage, etc. to get to the freer endpoint. If dollars were the only consideration, we wouldn't have tolerated the asymmetry and abuses for so long.

However, not only is that not happening, but Chinese censorship is making its way towards Americans in America. Don't want to go too far outside the scope of this thread, but I really liked Ben Thompson (Stratechery)'s piece on the issues involved.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can quibble over the definition of "our values." To be explicit, the assumption was that opening the trade relationship with China would push them toward a freer, more democratic society, and that it was worth pushing past them shutting off their domestic markets to American software companies, the industrial espionage, etc. to get to the freer endpoint. However, not only is that not happening, but Chinese censorship is making its way towards Americans in America due to the trade relationship.

that assumption was always moronic and pushed by the kinds of capitalists who themselves are antithetical to democracy

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
+1 to everything everyone's said about the China situation this page. Infuriating. We tolerated an asymmetric trade relationship with China because we expected to export our values, and now, not only has that not happened, but it looks like we're importing theirs.

lol, where?

"Don't talk yourself out of a paycheck" is as American as apple pie.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I just noticed that one of the worlds biggest Lakers haters is back on the scene: John Hollinger.

Anyone have access to see what sure-nonsense he is saying here?

Projected 50-32, good that they have wing shooting, don't have a lot of ballhandling, better playoff team than regular-season team, miss Zubac, their college scouting has been good in recent years (in the context of saying Caruso might be best PG). Basically similar to consensus view. Best part:
The Lakers also brought in Dwight Howard, who will rack up rebounds if healthy but may not help in other respects, especially if he still dreams of post-up glory. Multiple sources indicated that in at least one recent stop, Howard would intentionally whiff on screens if he knew the next option was a post up for him.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to hear these players talking about politics or social justice again. It's obvious NBA sent a league-wide memo to teams and told players to not comment or say they don't have enough experience to talk about it.

And that's fine. They don't have to discuss this if they don't want to.

But then just keep social justice and politics out of the sport, out of your platform. Because it's obvious you care when it can help fatten your wallet but you don't care the moment you might lose a little bit of income.

While I'm at it let me say fuck Stephen A Smith, fucking clown.
Or you know, they don't care about things that don't affect them personally. Why are you asking American athletes their feelings on Hong Kong and China. It's easy to have a stance against racism because you know they face it everyday. They don't have to be world police

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Projected 50-32, good that they have wing shooting, don't have a lot of ballhandling, better playoff team than regular-season team, miss Zubac, their college scouting has been good in recent years (in the context of saying Caruso might be best PG). Basically similar to consensus view. Best part:

when the world gets thrown into a full on upheaval, when the economic foundation crumbles, when our resources dry up and livable land dwindles, dwight will be there on the low block calling for an entry pass

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I watched only the highlights from the Lakers first preseason game, but I saw Dwight asking for the ball on the block a couple times already lol

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Or you know, they don't care about things that don't affect them personally. Why are you asking American athletes their feelings on Hong Kong and China. It's easy to have a stance against racism because you know they face it everyday. They don't have to be world police
Morey spoke out for human rights, just like many others in the NBA have done before. This time, it unfortunately can have major financial repercussions for the league. China is pushing the NBA to censor their employees' right to speak on such issues. That should be crazy, right? Any American should feel immediately disturbed by that. That is something any player, coach, GM can chime in on. A simple, "I don't know enough about China-HK relations, but I do support Morey's right for free speech and to voice his opinion on the matter, or for others to stand for human rights". Anything along those lines would have shown that it's fucked up to be trying to shut Morey down like that.

Instead, Morey's immediately thrown under the bus by his own team. Players and coaches who are very vocal about social issues suddenly have no comment in regards to a fellow colleague's right to free speech being threatened. They all seem entirely willing to keep silent on the matter altogether. Doesn't this feel drastically different than previous instances of NBA involvement in social issues? Do you remember any fans being kicked out for wearing "I can't breath" shirts like fans are now being kicked out for "I support HK" posters? Do you remember LeBron James and other players being shutdown for wearing the hoodies? No, because speaking up on social issues is only okay when it doesn't impact the league financially.

It is not about being world police. This is an American problem. It's deeply disturbing that China grows more and more influence on what Americans are or aren't allowed to say.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
What a pathetic, sad week for this league. I watch the NFL so I'm not above watching a shitty league for entertainment, but NBA has lost any and all sense of people calling them the "woke league".

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I watched only the highlights from the Lakers first preseason game, but I saw Dwight asking for the ball on the block a couple times already lol

What's wrong with that? Players do that gesture all the time. Is he really on such short notice with some of ya'll that he can't ask for the ball when he has an advantage?

If he starts throwing fits to the coaches and players about not getting enough touches then that is something they will drop him for. He's played 18 minutes in both preseason games and grabbed 8-9 rebounds in both. I'm sure he'll do better than that once regular season rolls around and he plays a little bit more. He is doing what they have asked so far.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
What's wrong with that? Players do that gesture all the time. Is he really on such short notice with some of ya'll that he can't ask for the ball when he has an advantage?

If he starts throwing fits to the coaches and players about not getting enough touches then that is something they will drop him for. He's played 18 minutes in both preseason games and grabbed 8-9 rebounds in both. I'm sure he'll do better than that once regular season rolls around and he plays a little bit more. He is doing what they have asked so far.

The way Dwight's been covered by the media this off season has been nothing short of bizarre. It's like every reporter is a kindergarten teacher telling naughty Dwight he better show some contrition and not step over any lines, whatever all that bullshit means. Maybe he's not in a position to tell them to fuck off because... well he's Dwight Howard, but if I were LBJ or AD I would make it a point to call people out on this. Not surprising it's echoing back through the fans.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
The way Dwight's been covered by the media this off season has been nothing short of bizarre. It's like every reporter is a kindergarten teacher telling naughty Dwight he better show some contrition and not step over any lines, whatever all that bullshit means. Maybe he's not in a position to tell them to fuck off because... well he's Dwight Howard, but if I were LBJ or AD I would make it a point to call people out on this. Not surprising it's echoing back through the fans.

I agree with this. If you can't post someone up on the block you have an advantage over and put up your hand without receiving flack...its gone too far. I doubt the Lakers organization cares about that, but the fans have been nearly insufferable regarding this dude...along with reporters. It would be great for LJ or AD to say something.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Dwight also gets the same redemption story run about him in the media every offseason, despite it never actually translating to him being considered a positive presence. Then some team signs him and wants rid of him after five months. He is by all accounts not a great teammate on and off the court, nor a particularly good basketball player, so if anything he's lucky to keep getting these chances.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017

like I said, I didn't watch the game. But he was asking for the ball in pretty dramatic fashion, just like old Dwight used to do.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Dwight also gets the same redemption story run about him in the media every offseason, despite it never actually translating to him being considered a positive presence. Then some team signs him and wants rid of him after five months. He is by all accounts not a great teammate on and off the court, nor a particularly good basketball player, so if anything he's lucky to keep getting these chances.

Really? Because all I hear is slander each off season. Lakers players and coaches have spoken highly about him thus far so idk. Not a particularly good basketball player? Dude is a future Hall of Famer.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
like I said, I didn't watch the game. But he was asking for the ball in pretty dramatic fashion, just like old Dwight used to do.

He didn't smack his hands together and throw some tantrum after he didn't receive the ball. All he did was wave his arm on the post and move on. That so far is the difference, but we all know its super early. I hope he does stick to this and turn it around. All he needs is 1 chip.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't smack his hands together and throw some tantrum after he didn't receive the ball. All he did was wave his arm on the post and move on. That so far is the difference, but we all know its super early. I hope it does stick to this and turn it around. All he needs is 1 chip.
Idk what you want me to say. The onus to show us that he's changed is on Dwight right now. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, because he wasted too many chances. That's why he's getting the treatment he is why people will keep doubting the guy until he shows he can be the role player the team needs him to be.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Idk what you want me to say. The onus to show us that he's changed is on Dwight right now. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, because he wasted too many chances. That's why he's getting the treatment he is why people will keep doubting the guy until he shows he can be the role player the team needs him to be.

I'm not asking you to praise the man. However, calling him out for waving his arm in an good position is a bit much. Communication is important in the game. Can't be throwing shade at him for doing something every other player does.

It's only the preseason. For all I know he will completely slip into old ways, but I'm hoping him being an old fart might make the difference this time.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not asking you to praise the man. However, calling him out for waving his arm in an good position is a bit much. Communication is important in the game. Can't be throwing shade at him for doing something every other player does.

It's only the preseason. For all I know he will completely slip into old ways, but I'm hoping him being an old fart might make the difference this time.
LeBron James is one of the best passers of all time, he probably knows you have a mismatch before you do. You don't need to wave your hands to let him know you're open, he knows. Actually apart from Dion Waiters, I can't remember the last player that would do that when he had the ball. I just found it was funny that on their first game together, after Dwight himself made a big deal about not asking for the ball and etc, there he was. That's all that was lol, I'm done talking Dwight.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
LeBron James is one of the best passers of all time, he probably knows you have a mismatch before you do. You don't need to wave your hands to let him know you're open, he knows. Actually apart from Dion Waiters, I can't remember the last player that would do that when he had the ball. I just found it was funny that on their first game together, after Dwight himself made a big deal about not asking for the ball and etc, there he was. That's all that was lol, I'm done talking Dwight.

I watched the full game. Dwight didn't make a big deal about asking for the ball. He just waved his arm on a post up lol. He didn't throw some tantrum when he didn't get it. I have no idea what you seen. I get it. You don't like the dude. That's fine. I'll move on as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.