• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what a support rep told me.

So let me explain. I own nba 2k18 for the switch, and because i mainly play my switch on my commute to work i play in offline mode. Now i know the draw back to playing in offline mode anything do with vc won't work and i was cool with that plus fuck vc anyway. So i started my career offline and i play to and from work, went through the regular season just fine and made it to the playoffs. Swept the first round and was the first team to make it to the second round all other teams have atleast one more game to play, and for some odd reason that 2k only knows i can't simulate those games. Which means i can't progress, i've tried everything i can think off and i'm no the only ones that encountered this problem https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/204235-nba-2k18/75802374 i found a gamefaq thread with people that have the same problem. So i contacted 2k and they got back to me this morning saying this,

Thank you for contacting us at 2K support,

From the information you've provided you're saying that you can't simulate games which makes it impossible for you to progress, I understand how this situation might be confusing allow me to clear things up.

In fact this is following the game's design as intended by the development team, since you can't simulate playoff games, this is an in game mechanics that we cannot override.

I hope I was able to alleviate your concerns, should you have any other questions just let us and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Best regads,

2K Support

I was floored by the response and i told them if i don't get this resolved i'll be asking Nintendo for a refund. I haven't heard back from them yet, but i'll give them to the end of the week to respond. But if anyone has any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe i missed something or i'm doing something wrong in the game i don't know.

Update 1: Just got off the phone with Nintendo and they're going to issue me a refund, Should get it in 3-5 days if not sooner. Going to use this money to get rocket league and maybe Doom.

Update 2 : Got my money back in eShop credit, and I got to say I'm very impressed with Nintendo. The reps we're nice and handled the situation very well, and I got my credit back pretty quick.

Update 3: Just got this from 2k support.

Dear Kvn,

Thank you for taking the time to contact 2K Support!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with NBA 2K18. I understand how disheartening it can be to experience setbacks and obstacles in the games we dedicate so much of our time to. We as gamers do get passionate about our games and I see why not being able to progress in the playoffs of your offline MyCAREER file would cause so much frustration.

The development team has been notified of this issue and are currently working toward a solution. However, we do not have visibility on their progress here in customer support, and therefore don't have a timeline on when a fix will be implemented.

As soon as that information will be available, our players will be the first to know. I suggest that you keep an eye on our @2K, @NBA2K and @2KSupport Twitter pages for any updates.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Kind regards,

Liam S.
2K Support

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If you asking for a refund is contingent on them changing it or creating a workaround, you might as well ask for a refund right now

Oct 27, 2017
I skipped out on 2K a couple of years ago because of the VC crap and if their servers were screwed it messed your local offline game up. Ask for your refund because I doubt it will be fixed.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't miss anything. 2k is undoubtedly the most disgusting company among the the games as a service bunch, hands down.

And I say that owning the game and having spent money on VC, and I will do it again in the future simply because the game is that good in terms of gameplay.

If you're not prepared to play by 2Ks rules then they dont give a fuck about you as a customer, they can't hear you over the micro transaction money.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
2K became a cesspool. So sad Rockstar is under the same parent company. Everything post RDR2 coming from that company will be a nightmare.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad to hear but not surprising. We are fighting a losing battle. FWIW, even with all the negative press NBA2K18 sales were up both in US and UK. So the vast majority of folks don't care.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem like the customer support rep explained why you couldn't simulate the game, or am I misunderstanding what was written?

If it is indeed offline mode that causes this problem, then that's just stupid from 2k. What's the benefit of making it that way?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused. If you're offline, you can't simulate games? What does simulating & being online have to do with each other?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
These big companies are getting so awful that I'm considering going full indie and give my money to people who respect my time and mental capacities. I'm a client, I'm a consumer, I'm your customer, not your slave, ffs...

OP
OP
Twenty7kvn

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like the customer rep explained why you couldn't simulate the game, or am I misunderstanding what was written?

If it is indeed offline mode that causes this problem, then that's just stupid from 2k. What's the benefit of making it that way?
I'm thinking it's a bug they didn't catch and the rep has no idea what he's talking about.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a bug they overlooked. I remember running into something like this years ago with 2K, which I think was patched.

If it's somehow tied to being offline, can't you just wait until you can connect?

OP
OP
Twenty7kvn

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused. If you're offline, you can't simulate games? What does simulating & being online have to do with each other?
The thing is simulating worked fine during the regular season,but for some reason i don't see a option for it in the playoffs. I'm going to try and upload some pics but i'm at work so it might take a little while.

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't miss anything. 2k is undoubtedly the most disgusting company among the the games as a service bunch, hands down.

And I say that owning the game and having spent money on VC, and I will do it again in the future simply because the game is that good in terms of gameplay.

If you're not prepared to play by 2Ks rules then they dont give a fuck about you as a customer, they can't hear you over the micro transaction money.

This is real because I'm the same way even though I despise the company.

OP you might as well ask for your refund because they will not change this. 2K, despite being a franchise that sells a TON every year while also being high on the NPD charts, never gets called out for this shit.....this issue is pretty much not a concern to everyone. But we'll continue to get articles about why Battlefront and etc have lootboxes tho and why those practices are disgusting

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm so done with 2K. I played 2K16 and the VC stuff was out of control even then. I'll be happy to play a slightly less polished NBA Live this season.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember when 2K was viewed as the good guys. Turns out they weren't trying to take EA's place they wanted to be EA.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the occasional casual game on the Switch here and there but I bought the game not knowing much about their Gaas practices. I won't be buying any future iterations unless they change, I'm disappointed they have my money.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
Madden had a similar issue in online career mode. If you used standby on PS4 your game wouldn't count towards your career.

OP
OP
Twenty7kvn

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Update: Just got off the phone with Nintendo and they're going to issue me a refund, Should get it in 3-5 days if not sooner. Going to use this money to get rocket league and maybe Doom.

SiK SiNr1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles, Ca
I have a very important topic to discuss but don't have thread starting rights at this time. I would like to bring something to light that I find is a major issue with NBA 2K18.

Im sure this has happened to others as well and it makes me sick to my stomach. I purchased at least 10 shirts from their created t-shirt kiosk for 3500 VC each and the shirts were removed from my clothing inventory without explanation. I contacted 2K support and was told that the shirts violated copyright and were removed. To try and "make things right" they offered me a 1 time VC payout of 10,000 VC. This is roughly the price for 3 t-shirts. I told them this is not acceptable and I will not let them steal my money like this.

Basically the problem is 2K allowed people to create shirts that were customized to look like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Balmain, Bape, Supreme etc. as well as NFL, NHL, NCAA jerseys and were making a profit off of the sales of these shirts without paying the respected companies for their trademarked logos. Apparently they got caught and removed all the shirts from the game but failed to reimburse people for the items they illegally sold. Now I want my money back but they will not give me a full refund.

Is there anything I can do about this?
D5624855-D3AC-43E3-A5E2-70732ED02F21.jpg

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
In my naivety, I was really looking forward to getting 2K18 on Switch a few months ago. In my head I was picturing something like 2K8 + 10 years of improvement, which was (or thereabouts) the last time I spent any serious time with it. (got 2K11 a few years back and barely played it)

Alas! All the impressions have been so brutal.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see how they could miss a bug this huge... but then again it hasn't been widely reported so it must affect a save file under specific conditions. I see a few in this thread already claiming how this is some developer inspired progress breaker intent on making sure you play online... I don't see how you can connect those dots here. Fact is progress saving bugs like this are par for the course in gaming and I hope 2k does all it can to rectify the situation. Glad to see you got a refund.

OP
OP
Twenty7kvn

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In my naivety, I was really looking forward to getting 2K18 on Switch a few months ago. In my head I was picturing something like 2K8 + 10 years of improvement, which was (or thereabouts) the last time I spent any serious time with it. (got 2K11 a few years back and barely played it)

Alas! All the impressions have been so brutal.
The gameplay itself is great, but as you can see above 2k games is to under handed and slimy, i'm going to thing really hard before picking up another games from them.

OP
OP
Twenty7kvn

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a very important topic to discuss but don't have thread starting rights at this time. I would like to bring something to light that I find is a major issue with NBA 2K18.

Im sure this has happened to others as well and it makes me sick to my stomach. I purchased at least 10 shirts from their created t-shirt kiosk for 3500 VC each and the shirts were removed from my clothing inventory without explanation. I contacted 2K support and was told that the shirts violated copyright and were removed. To try and "make things right" they offered me a 1 time VC payout of 10,000 VC. This is roughly the price for 3 t-shirts. I told them this is not acceptable and I will not let them steal my money like this.

Basically the problem is 2K allowed people to create shirts that were customized to look like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Balmain, Bape, Supreme etc. as well as NFL, NHL, NCAA jerseys and were making a profit off of the sales of these shirts without paying the respected companies for their trademarked logos. Apparently they got caught and removed all the shirts from the game but failed to reimburse people for the items they illegally sold. Now I want my money back but they will not give me a full refund.

Is there anything I can do about this?
D5624855-D3AC-43E3-A5E2-70732ED02F21.jpg
I don't know what you really can do, maybe try to reach out to the console manufacture or maybe the better business bureau can help .

SiK SiNr1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles, Ca
Sorry for the bump but I could see why NBA 2K pulled the shirts from the kiosk for violating copyright but they also pulled them from our closets too. We paid for something they illegally sold us and profited off of and then took it back without giving us our money back... this is illegal af

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Really a shame that the devs we once loved are turning into the mafia, one after another.

BigSoftueFF

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand this series. Last one I bought was 15 I believe. Plays well but the VC bullshit is unreal and appears to only be getting worse. Seems like a long time ago that I booted up 2k on my Dreamcast and was blown away. Such a shame.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Companies are going to keep pushing for this always-online bullshit. Don't buy this type of stuff

Yup it was the less offensive thing companies figured out when gamers rioted on MS for the original XB1 plans. These scam GaaS games are the result of that research. People think it was just MS who wanted this when they were mostly listening to what 3rd parties were telling them, about how to try and stop the used game boogeyman that was common at the time.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is things like these that break my heart because the sports genre is my favorite in gaming, but ever since the start of the PS3 era it has slowly gone downhill. Now I don't even want to pick up a game outside of MLB The Show

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a canned response. I've been working for support for years and I've also worked for a support rep for a console. This sounds they've just acknowledged the issue you're having and they will not really do anything about it.

I haven't played Myplayer this year (addicted to MYGM) but in previous years, you can simulate all games.

EDIT: lol did not notice that this was an old thread.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. How is it an intended game design to just stop all progress in the playoffs? What am I missing here?

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. How is it an intended game design to just stop all progress in the playoffs? What am I missing here?
Apparently the career mode won't let you simulate playoff games. So when he swept his opponent it left him without a way to advance to the next round in the playoffs. It's a big oversight but ...
Probably to encourage you into paying for microtransactions or something
I can't fathom how it's connected to micro transactions.