• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Yet another reason Sony can fuck off with not letting PS5 games be stored on an HDD at launch. Really basic shit

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably 120gb like the Xbox version. The Call of Duty box also quotes a number bigger than what it needs.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Brutal but deserved. Fuck ads in a full priced game.
I think other publishers care about optimizing their storage size more. I don't think CoD or this are the norm at all.
The current gen version is bigger than most current games but it isn't drastic difference. Big games will definitely be around this size going forward.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
How the fuck did they make a basketball game that big? Lol. Did they mocap each player individually?

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what is causing that - the compression Sony has developed/purchased should really prevent games from getting that large. Spider-man: Miles Morales (50gb) is nowhere near that large and it is an open world game with high texture/poly models, even for pedestrians.

Oct 27, 2017
"But guys you see, file sizes next gen will be actually smaller since they don't need to put duplicate data in the discs."

Every time I read that I had a good Michael Jordan chuckle.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Didn't somebody make a thread like this about CoD recently then it came about it was lower than the minimum stated on the case.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't somebody make a thread like this about CoD recently then it came about it was lower than the minimum stated on the case.
Well, in this case, yesterday the Series X store said around the same thing, so I think it's accurate:

wccftech.com

NBA 2K21 is Massive on Xbox Series X, Weighing in at More than 120GB

2K’s next-gen NBA installment, NBA 2K21, is quite massive on Microsoft’s upcoming Xbox Series X with a monstrous 121.GB file size.

(it's 100GB at the end)
www.gamespot.com

NBA 2K21 On Xbox Series X Is Over 100GB

The 100GB file size for NBA 2K21 might be because the WNBA is being added to PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.

I guess it can be less than 150GB at the end, to around the same 100GB the Series X version is.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The current gen version is bigger than most current games but it isn't drastic difference. Big games will definitely be around this size going forward.
I don't think most games will be that big, even though the games will grow in size. This and CoD were one of the worst offenders last gen and I don't think it's likely the rest of the developers got so bad at compression that all games now will be as big as NBA and CoD.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
tenor.gif

Wh....just how?!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when SSDs meant no need to duplicate data and that games would be smaller ?
Yeah. :"""")

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
What's this thing with yearly franchises and huge file sizes. It appears that there is never enough time to optimise assets and thus always have huge sizes.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
That's big, but in the end all the next gen consoles will get external cold storage available and that'll be it.

With them going for 4k the assets are not going to become smaller anytime soon, even with better compression.

For NBA2k21 I'd imagine the different faces and skins probably consume a lot of texture space. (+ them ads lol)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
One NBA title that will play the same as every entry for the last decade and change or two whole Spider-Man games... tough call.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
So between COD and this game, ALL UR SSD is gone on the XSS. And half your SSD is gone on the PS5.

Really beginning to look like sony had a stupid oversight on not making PS5 games moveable to an external storage for cold storage at launch. Like that shit is flat out essential.

Well at least they are looking into it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Hold on... Is it that these devs are choosing to not even compress shit anymore cause now they know they can move data quickly thanks to SSDs?

Then again, NBA2k20 required around 100GB+ too lol. Guess we didn't care then.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait and see how this plays out a bit. 500GB on the PS4 got almost impossible to use after having a battlefield (100 GB), CoD(100GB), Gran Turismo (100GB) and MLB The Show 16ish (40GB). Having those 4 games, there is no room left for patches or any other games. I get that I don't need 50 games at the ready, but especially how data caps are trending as a normal things recently, but if you can't have 5-7 games at the ready, it makes it really hard to play different games with friends if you are not all playing a single game or two.