• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who wins?

• Raptors

Votes: 245 41.8%
  • Warriors

Votes: 341 58.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what you're getting at. They did wait, and it's not going to have cost them anything to do so. Noone knows what the Celtics are offering or might offer, but obviously the Pels have some interest.

This Kyrie thing is quite troubling for the Cs. We're in kind of uncharted territory right now in terms of influence between agents/the player side and the teams. I'm honestly not sure how to feel about it.

Wasn't Magic's offer Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma, Zubac, 2 first rounds, and taking on Solomon's contract?

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's also important to note that medical science is always coming up with new treatments, surgeries, and rehabilitation schemes - players not coming back from these injuries in the past is not necessarily indicative of how players will be coming back from the injury in the present or future

I know, that's why I mentioned that the jury is out on DeMarcus Cousins, because he's the only one iirc who's not only young enough to recover, but also has had the injury in an era of improved medical science compared to 20-30 years ago. We still need one more year to see how he's been affected (if at all).

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
The big difference between the deadline deal and what is rumored now is that Kuzma, Hart, Zubac (oh Lakers), a future first, and taking on Solomon Hill's contract (i.e. functionally equivalent to another future 1st) is now seemingly off the table, even though I suspect the Lakers will ultimately capitulate on Kuzma maybe in exchange for some minor draft pick compensation. It just depends on whether you believe that the Lakers ending up in the lottery and jumping to 4 amortizes all the extra stuff that isn't there now. I also strongly suspect that the Celtics are being used purely as leverage at this point since everything else has dried up (the lack of concrete details about what the Celtics are actually offering seems like a pretty clear tell).

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The big difference between the deadline deal and what is rumored now is that Kuzma, Hart, Zubac (oh Lakers), a future first, and taking on Solomon Hill's contract (i.e. functionally equivalent to another future 1st) is now seemingly off the table, even though I suspect the Lakers will ultimately capitulate on Kuzma maybe in exchange for some minor draft pick compensation. It just depends on whether you believe that the Lakers ending up in the lottery and jumping to 4 amortizes all the extra stuff that isn't there now. I also strongly suspect that the Celtics are being used purely as leverage at this point since everything else has dried up (the lack of concrete details about what the Celtics are actually offering seems like a pretty clear tell).

I genuinely don't think the Lakers are going to offer BI, Lonzo and Kuz. Although we don't know, it doesn't seem like they are really bidding against a whole lot. And BI, Lonzo and the number 4 pick is a legit haul.

I know Griff said he wants an All Star in the deal for AD because he doesn't want to rebuild, but honestly that's what New Orleans should do. Zion is 18. He will be good next year, but he won't be ready to start competing for a championship in his first 2-3 years unless he's on a really hood team and that's just not what New Orleans has, and likely won't be able to get.

Let's say they trade with LA, and trade Jrue for a couple young assets and find a quality couple vets to surround the young team, they could be like the Kings this year. Young and feisty, but not quite ready. In a couple years you can start making moves to compete in the near future, and if you are smart you will have a young core of three or four players and a few assets to flip for an All star or really good role players.

Maybe I'm wrong about who they could get. But they should focus on the long term viability of the team so in 5-6 years they aren't freaking out about Zion leaving because they just don't have the team or the assets to do anything to compete. That's what happened in Cleveland that led to LeBron going to Miami and it's what has led to AD wanting a trade.

When you have an opportunity to hit the reset button and gather a ton of assets to build around a potential superstar you don't take shortcuts.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
A wild card could still step in with GFIN deal (say Portland offers McCollum and Collins? Or Denver offers up Murray?) but barring that the Knicks seem out, the Celtics are probably out (or at least hanging on to Tatum) if Kyrie leaves, and the Nets and Clippers don't seem to be in the mix.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me the appeal Brooklyn has for Kyrie

He's a hipster

Honestly, it's a team with a good FO, some good young pieces, and cap flexibility. You might argue he had that in Boston, but something about the FO/Coaching/roster dynamic in Boston obviously didn't work for him. Maybe he thinks he can reboot in BKN or NY and have less pressure?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If I was the Pelicans Zo and BI would be a pretty good haul for a guy who is leaving and didn't win there anyways. Plus with Zion coming in that would be a legit exciting team to watch right.

Kuzma is kind of trash and if either side is putting value on him they are idiots who don't know what they are doing. He plays no defense and is a good scorer but not good enough to be the first or second option. Basically the perfect guy to put up numbers on bad teams. I don't think you can win with him on the floor unless he really improves as a shooter.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Kuzma is kind of trash and if either side is putting value on him they are idiots who don't know what they are doing. He plays no defense and is a good scorer but not good enough to be the first or second option. Basically the perfect guy to put up numbers on bad teams. I don't think you can win with him on the floor unless he really improves as a shooter.
Kuzma's value to the Lakers is that he's the cheapest of the 3, Lakers are still going to need assets, they can't trade the whole team away so it makes sense to try to keep one of them

Ask for the Pelicans I think they're bluffing in seeing value in Kuzma, they're to try to get as much as they can get

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lol just saw the roc nation news

not even making it subtle now. is brooklyn better off just going with russell and someone else instead of kyrie and russell? because i don't know that it'd rather have dlo going foward. comparing production at a similar age, it's pretty similar though kyrie is/was the obvious superior player, but not by much if you assume dlo will continually improve his game. i guess they're getting one over on the knicks?
RgWfWdz.png

UbzCz3p.png

a kyrie/dlo backcourt would be interesting defensively... lol

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Kuzma's value to the Lakers is that he's the cheapest of the 3, Lakers are still going to need assets, they can't trade the whole team away so it makes sense to try to keep one of them

Ask for the Pelicans I think they're bluffing in seeing value in Kuzma, they're to try to get as much as they can get
You might be right and the Lakers might be stupid enough to overpay for AD.

I give credit to the Pelicans. They are playing this the right way. But they shouldn't push it too far. They are not getting more than whatever the Lakers are going to offer.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm catching up on the Lowe Post and they are talking about if the Celtics should still trade for AD, with the reasoning being the following team is still really good: AD, Hayward, Smart, Brown, Horford and Rozier.

I like Zach and his pod a lot, but it's hard to sit through a hypothetical conversation about what the Celtics would look like if the basis is them trading Tatum, picks and no other players for AD as if that gets it done or is even possible. Like, best case scenario they give up Tatum + Smart and picks, and maybe a bit player or two. Even then I don't think the deal gets done. But if you are going to have that conversation you gotta go with a realistic scenario my dudes.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
If you're the Raptors and you just won the title, do you flirt with the idea of trading for AD?

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
You might be right and the Lakers might be stupid enough to overpay for AD.

I give credit to the Pelicans. They are playing this the right way. But they shouldn't push it too far. They are not getting more than whatever the Lakers are going to offer.

I don't think the Lakers have the capacity to overpay for AD. How high those players were picked in the draft, where they play, and Lebron's tacit endorsement by signing there is inflating a bunch of ok players into a "core." If they can get AD there at all that's a huge win.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Kyrie grew up in Jersey and spent most of his childhood there and in Boston
Yeah, he grew up in Jersey as a Nets fan. That's his hometown team. I'm from Jersey originally and there wasn't some huge turnover in the fanbase composition, such as it is, when they moved across the river. Like, Dubs fans aren't gonna stop being Dubs fans next year when they move to SF and that's a much bigger jump than going from the Meadowlands to Brooklyn.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I'm catching up on the Lowe Post and they are talking about if the Celtics should still trade for AD, with the reasoning being the following team is still really good: AD, Hayward, Smart, Brown, Horford and Rozier.

I like Zach and his pod a lot, but it's hard to sit through a hypothetical conversation about what the Celtics would look like if the basis is them trading Tatum, picks and no other players for AD as if that gets it done or is even possible. Like, best case scenario they give up Tatum + Smart and picks, and maybe a bit player or two. Even then I don't think the deal gets done. But if you are going to have that conversation you gotta go with a realistic scenario my dudes.
Tatum has gone from a future superstar to trade bait for AD in one season?

Celtics should make a trade but they would be dumb to bet it all on AD. It made sense for Toronto because their core had made their run and it didn't work and was never going to work so why not take that chance. Does Boston really think that of their young team in the East?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he grew up in Jersey as a Nets fan. That's his hometown team. I'm from Jersey originally and there wasn't some huge turnover in the fanbase composition, such as it is, when they moved across the river. Like, Dubs fans aren't gonna stop being Dubs fans next year when they move to SF and that's a much bigger jump than going from the Meadowlands to Brooklyn.
Ah my bad my bad I got it, I thought you were saying he grew up in Brooklyn

I guess Brooklyn's only like what, an hour away from where the Nets were in jersey

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If Kyrie actually leaves he's exposing himself to a whole lot of risk. One postseason with Boston, one! And you're bailing from one of the best run organizations in the NBA into who knows what.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
The Meadowlands is like a 5-10 minute drive from NYC. The distinction between New York teams and East Rutherford teams has always been pretty nominal (see: the New York Giants and New York Jets).

The new arena is like 10 miles across the bay bridge. And a negligible amount of additional travel time if you're taking Bart.

I didn't need a lesson on the NJ/NY area. I just don't see how it's any bigger of a jump for the Dubs.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
The new arena is like 10 miles across the bay bridge. And a negligible amount of additional travel time if you're taking Bart.
They're roughly similar geographical distances but Oakland and SF are still distinct towns culturally. Northern NJ where the Meadowlands is is just greater NYC except it's kind of a charmless shithole.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
If Kyrie actually leaves he's exposing himself to a whole lot of risk. One postseason with Boston, one! And you're bailing from one of the best run organizations in the NBA into who knows what.

The problem is it simply can't work in Boston. Too many young talents that need to prove they can earn big contracts. But if you don't let them play, they're frustrated.

The truth is Kyrie cannot carry a franchise. He should be a number 2. If he goes in Brooklyn, he will like Kemba in Charlotte

Kyrie should either team up with KD. Or reunite with Lebron. He's a number 2 and it's fine.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
Oracle to the new Arena isn't that far. It's going to be annoying to drive due to the Bridge and shit traffic.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine if they replace Pierce with Wade. Also, if they put Wilbon on I'm turning my tv off whenever the analysts are on.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
bye
to all of them.

next season they'll somehow make it worse tho won't they....?

From the times I've forgotten to mute them, Michelle is good at television. I'm sure the next iteration will be another rinse and repeat cycle, is Richard Jefferson the new guy at ESPN? Tangentially, if Adam Silver is as smart as everyone says he is, he has to figure out a way to prevent the networks from staining his product with these commentators and announcers. Maybe set his alarm clock to blare, "players only baby!" every morning to prod him, I don't know.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Richard Jefferson is super talented at being talker.. my bet him and Jay Williams will take even more spot at network.

Status
Not open for further replies.