• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh.. Rockets may end up being by far the second best team in the NBA for the second year in a row. Lets wait and see what the EC champ does vs the Dubs. Everyone assumes Bucks will beat Warriors in 6-7, but I'm not sure yet.
What a load of baloney.

I guess Clippers are the second best team as they won 2 games and had to deal with KD. Houston avoided him for 1 game.

🤪

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think ur severely underestimating the bucks. the length and reach of the bucks is going to count for something. Green on Giannis is a mismatch and I think if the bucks play good defense, they will rein the warriors back in.
Kawhi shut down giannis and is same height as green. Both are elite defenders with Kawhi perhaps being better.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can put this whole series in the "Big Moments" Steph Curry's folder

To think that the warriors were awfully close to trade him, Belinelli and Biedrins to the Suns for Stoudemire
You can thank the Bucks for that though. The only reason Curry wasn't traded was because the Bucks didn't want to take the chance due to Curry's injury history and took Ellis instead.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Only problem I have is that giannis is not close to the shooter LeBron is. Warriors will exploit that at some point.
yeah, that's the glaring issue. I think in any case, Kawhi or Giannis, both east teams have 2 way players that set the pace of the game, much like LeBron. If KD isn't there to counter balance that, the warriors can't rely on their shooting.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm not mad at him for getting paid. WCF aside, he's a large part of the reason why the trailblazers are so cool. Glue Nurkic's foot back on and run it back.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Blazers got this far without Nurkic and a hobbled Dame. They had a great season and should be right in the mix again next post-season.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 9 days off is huge. Especially if the ECF goes to 6 or 7.

Dubs win again. We can only hope it's the timeline where KD never comes back and Steph finally gets his FMVP.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Blazers succeeded in redeeming the Rockets a bit. The Rockets looked bad after losing a home game with no KD, but the Blazers lost a whole series without him playing. So the rankings of teams playing the Warriors:

1. Clippers (won 2 games including a huge comeback with KD playing, and as the 8 seed)
2. Rockets (won 2 games, but coughed it up at the end with KD out, and turned people against them by whining about fouls)
3. Blazers (participation trophy only)

I'm guessing the Bucks will win a game or two, but they would have to win at least 3 to move to the number one spot. They (and the Raptors) would have home court advantage over the Warriors too, not that it would matter much with how well the Warriors play on the road.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Is Dame hurt? I know people were speculating but I must have missed that.

As far as I know Dame is signed for two more years so the supermax starts after that.
Yup, he has separated ribs.
Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard does not want to use his separated rib as an excuse for his struggles in the Western Conference finals.

Lillard confirmed on Sunday that he suffered the injury to his left side when Golden State Warriors center Kevon Looney fell on him during a scramble for a loose ball during the third quarter of Game 2. However, Lillard downplayed the impact of the injury on his performance in the series, which Portland trails 3-0.

Yea supermaxes are fucked. They shouldn't count towards your cap space.
I agree. I've argued before that they should hit a teams cap for the same 30% as the regular max unless a team has two players under the supermax (which shouldn't really be happening in the first place).

Last edited:

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Loser Rankings of 2019 Playoffs
1. Boston Celtics - Best losers by far. Swept first round, blew out one of the 2 best teams in the playoffs in game one. Many teams try to lose this good, most fail.
2. Los Angeles Clippers - Strong losers. Took the Warriors to 7 and caused people make fun of the Lakers. Very strong performance.
3. Philadelphia 76ers. Mid tier losers. Had some solid wins, but lost to the Toronto Leonards on a last second 3. Bad lose.
4. Spot reserved for Toronto Raptors. Below average losers, going nowhere. Sad team.
5. Detroit Pistons. Strong men. We love them. VeePs
6. Brooklyn Nets. Bad team, very good losers. Jared Dudley is an LVP, one of the finest players I can think of.
Low tier losers - these teams are separated into a different tier because I don't want to do this anymore but I cannot leave the list half finished
7. San Antonio Spurs
8. Orlando Magic
9. Indiana Pacers
10. Denver Nuggets
11. Portland Trail Blazers
12. Utah Jazz
13. Oklahoma City Thunder
Lowest Tier
14. Houston Rockets - Pathetic losers. They boast of their losing record on Twitter to show that they lost the best, which actually proves that they lost the most.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, the fact is that you don't win NBA titles paying players fair market value. That doesn't mean it's a bad decision to pay them fair market value (it's neutral). How would the Blazers look without Dame Lillard at all? People compare these supermax contracts to other max players, most of whom aren't on the free market, and not to the actual players that Portland would end up getting for 40m/year.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The Supermax is a bigger team killer than Dwight Howard.
SXurw7E.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the fact is that you don't win NBA titles paying players fair market value. That doesn't mean it's a bad decision to pay them fair market value (it's neutral). How would the Blazers look without Dame Lillard at all? People compare these supermax contracts to other max players, most of whom aren't on the free market, and not to the actual players that Portland would end up getting for 40m/year.

That is the core problem with the Supermax, it's a system that it's a system that heavily encourages teams to do something that hurts them. And it's not Lillard's fault because even at $190 million, I think his contract produces positive value for a franchise, financially. NBA superstars are, in general, underpaid in relation to their financheal value.

It's one of the ways that this salary cap based CBA perverts things, players get underpaid, but small-market teams are still compelled to destroy their ability to compete by signing Supermax contracts. The whole thing is a fun house mirror mess.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The supermax did the opposite of what it was supposed to do. Players who wanna leave will leave anyway, and the guys who do stay eat up a hilariously large amount of cap space, limiting how they can build around the guy they paid a bajillion dollars for. So either way teams are fucked.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Lillard deserves the super max, and the Blazers will give it to him. Any team would.

But he's a tier below guys who can suck up all that cap room and still lead a championship contender (is Steph the only one so far?) it's a tough spot.

Next time they negotiate the CBA I think there will be something added that makes certain contracts not count towards the cap as much. Seems like an easy change that owners (especially in small markets) would want to vote on.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently something to do with copyrighted music in some things they posted in the past.

Weird that they'd get suspended now for it, since somebody must've really gone out of their way to track that down and report it, lol.

Supposedly some college football programs (Iowa's, Iowa State, Auburn, some others) have also had their accounts suspended.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I know its not playoff talk but pretty cool as a Wolves fan to see Ryan being introduced as our coach getting choked up knowing the connection to his dad. Sure hope it works out but if nothing else its a great story.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
If I wanted to fix the supermax here is how I'd do it.

How you ask?
Introduce a franchise player payment.

NBA Allstar voting would change from the current free for all, to each team nominating one player on their roster to be added to the Allstar ballot.* These 15 players would be considered franchise players and would get a 10M bonus for the honour at the cost of not being able to be traded until after the All Star break. In adition there would be a first team all conference as selected by a panel of experts who would be added to the voting pool. These players would also get the bonus but it would be paid collectively via revenue sharing/the league.

In practice that would have 400M of the Cap (so almost 10 percent) to the leagues best players and keeping the Max contract from hurting small market teams.

It also rewards production in this situation an injury like Jon walls would cost Washington 40M less then it currently does while allowing the team to flexibly spend that money on a useful player.

Given some tweaking here is what this years Allstar voting rosters in the west would have looked like

First team Curry Harden George Durant Davis followed by team reps

Klay, Lebron, Harris, Heild, Booker, Lillard, Westbrook, Gobert, Jolic, Butler (Kat if traded) Paul, Holiday, Clonley, Dirk, Aldridge/Derozen.

No fan would begrudge those players getting paid and finding a 12 player rotation/team from that list via fan voting would be fun.

The other thing to do would be to institute a rule that said No trading Rookies. The smart teams in the NBA Essentially use rookie contracts to Launder basketball talent and beat the salary cap. Removing that possibility you spread talent slightly more evenly.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iguodala is the 4th/5th most important player on a championship team, and was he ever a top 10 player before he joined the Warriors? Doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.